PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PC Monitor?

tesco
07-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Has anyone heard of a wireless PC monitor, Touchscreen would be a plus?
I've never seen one and Google isn't helping much.
What I would like is something in the form of a tablet but would be showing the desktop of- and controlling- my PC.
Even something in the shape of a laptop, just without the guts, would be perfect.

I'm moving into a very small bedroom temporarily during renovations and won't have room for a full desk, and to buy a laptop or even netbook just seems like a waste. :(

manker
07-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Nope but a wireless keyboard/mouse and a 5 metre VGA cable would surely do the trick.
I did a similar thing when I first connected my PC to the big telly about seven years ago.

jacson1253
07-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Never heard of a wireless monitor sorry all I have is a wireless mouse and keyboard.

mjmacky
07-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Basically the impossibility with wireless monitors is that no wireless signal could support the bandwidth. If you think about how much data goes through your HDMI cable, the difficulty should become clearer. I don't know if any tablets could handle remote desktopping over the network just from OS limitations alone.

tesco
07-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Basically the impossibility with wireless monitors is that no wireless signal could support the bandwidth. If you think about how much data goes through your HDMI cable, the difficulty should become clearer. I don't know if any tablets could handle remote desktopping over the network just from OS limitations alone.
Devices exist that can send signals wirelessly from computer, dvd, whatever, over to your TV, so the technology exists.

We can receive over-the-air HD signals to our digital tv tuners.
Devices exist that can send signals wirelessly from computer, dvd, whatever, over to your TV, so the technology exists.

Darth Sushi
07-16-2012, 02:27 AM
There are HDMI Digital Wireless Audio Video Sender Transmitter & Receiver System with IR Remote Extender listed on amazon (Nyrius NAVS500 HD). But I never seen one in action although it's not quite what you wanted.

mjmacky
07-16-2012, 02:33 AM

That's a combined video/audio stream, it's completely different than the information sent over an HDMI cable. The only way you can have wireless video is if it is being transcoded on the fly and sent in its compressed format over the air to be decoded on the display. This is similar to how Skyfire works if you're familiar with it. The interactivity within that environment is what tends to suffer.

tesco
07-16-2012, 05:44 PM

That's a combined video/audio stream, it's completely different than the information sent over an HDMI cable. The only way you can have wireless video is if it is being transcoded on the fly and sent in its compressed format over the air to be decoded on the display. This is similar to how Skyfire works if you're familiar with it. The interactivity within that environment is what tends to suffer.
Do those systems end up lagging? Is that why it's unsuitable for a pc monitor?

suhailinter
07-27-2012, 10:09 PM
The keyboard and mouse are wireless. The monitor is not.

megabyteme
08-01-2012, 08:35 AM
I've got networking problems that have kept me from doing it recently, but I used to LOVE running my desktop PC from my netbook via Remote Desktop. I found an article which covers what you'd need to do use a tablet to run your desktop (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/227943/control_your_pc_from_your_android_tablet_app_roundup.html). It's doable, and there are probably newer apps available than those in the article. I still favor the netbook- they've got significantly more power, and options right now.

Cables really aren't that imposing and they can be had reasonably. There's no lag, and you get full resolution.

If you went the netbook direction, you would be able to add a touchscreen to many of them (check out availability and difficulty first). I think this route would even be cheaper than purchasing a touchscreen monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006652&IsNodeId=1&Description=touchscreen&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20)- wireless, or not. Anything of moderate review starts around $400. None of them seem to be knock-it-out-of-the-park great, either.

A netbook with a SSD is a really nice device to have. I tend to use mine at the kitchen table, and do about 85% of my online stuff on it. When I've got class, I toss it into my backpack, and it takes up about the same space as a hardback textbook.

That's my vote, anyway. Tuck the PC in the closet, and run it from a netbook. Add a reliable SSD and a touchscreen, if desired. I doubt you'd regret it. Either that, or just get a long cable ($35-45- I'm guessing, on Amazon) like Manker suggested.

Artemis
08-01-2012, 09:18 AM

A couple of things about this post, as for remote data being incapable of being sent over a network, how exactly do the hundreds of thousands of headless servers out there actually work? Are they administered via psychic communication? They are administered remotely across a LAN or remotely via VPN/Intranet or over the internet and have been for thirty years, secondly who said anything about HDMI being the communication format?

That being said if you were to use DVI/HDMI and connect a remote monitor the cable length required before needing to amplify the signal is 25M or 50feet (reliably, I know of cable runs twice that length but the specification says that this is the maximum) without 'unacceptable' signal loss.

Option B: if this is only to be used in the short-term you could get an older laptop/netbook of somewhere like craigslist and use that with RDP

There are other options like KVM over IP, but they are more expensive that you wish to spend although a KVM switch with long cables, (DVI + USB) is another possibility. I have multiple PCs that I have connected via a DVI+USB KVM switch myself.

Most of the solutions I can think of would require cabling, unless you were to use a remote device (laptop/netbook/tablet) via wireless networking using RDP. There are tablets out there now with multiple OS support i.e. they come preinstalled with both Windows 7 and android, but once again there is a cost involved, these tablets are not the cheapest on the market, both Viewsonic and Lenovo of the well known brands have tablets with both operating systems preinstalled. That being said, the only real plus in this application of using a tablet would be the touchscreen, a netbook with it's own keyboard is an easier device to fly in the longterm and they are cheaper than similar spec tablets.