PDA

View Full Version : why need a backup block account

friedrice4321
07-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi all

New to newsgroup and doing a lot of reading. First question is why do i need a backup block account if i have an unlimited plan. It seems to be related to completions but i can't put it together. Can you guru fill me in?

Thanks

bbhaag
07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Sometimes even with a good retention rate the files you dl will still be incomplete from your main provider. A block account is like having a backup that you can go to and fill in the gaps. The hope is that the missing files will still be complete on your backup so you can grab them and be on your way.

It's also useful for those pesky dmca take down requests. Popular shows on HBO seem to suffer this problem, UFC fights are another example.
Say HBO issues Astraweb a dmca take down request. Astraweb complies by taking out a small amount of the file thus rendering it incomplete on their servers. You can use your block account to fill in those missing files because HBO did not issue the same dmca request to your block account provider so they still have it. Repair the file with the missing parts and you are on your way to enjoying the show.

Cascadeur
07-17-2012, 07:28 PM
I use a free XSusenet account to complete my astraweb subscription. Limited to 1mbps and 2 connections.

edit: actually I just went back to the website and it seems they now limit free accounts to 10-day retention. Bummer... Useless, unless for fast DMCA takedowns like UFC.

Hole69
07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Don't forget that the block might be hit with takedowns along with your main provider. The whole point of a block account is insurance. 200GB for $21 that will last for a few years is a bargain. Its well worth it just in case.

cola
07-18-2012, 03:52 PM
I like using Euro usenet providers for block accounts. Retention might not be as great, but no DMCA takedowns.

bbhaag
07-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Don't forget that the block might be hit with takedowns along with your main provider. The whole point of a block account is insurance. 200GB for $21 that will last for a few years is a bargain. Its well worth it just in case.
Exactly and if that happens hopefully your main provider and block account provider took out different files. All you need to do then is fill in the pieces.:)

07-19-2012, 09:24 AM
http://www.usenet-providers.net/newsgroup-resellers.php
nice table with the backend providers, although all of them have takedowns it depends alot who sends them to who
highwinds & giga are almost always hit, others have bigger delay or missed completely

wellyfish
07-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Forgive me for being particularly thick but ...

Once I've downloaded something how will I know what blocks , if any are missing and then how can I get those 'missing' blocks from another provider?

Thanks.

johhny
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Forgive me for being particularly thick but ...

Once I've downloaded something how will I know what blocks , if any are missing and then how can I get those 'missing' blocks from another provider?

Thanks.

Sabnzbd automatically fetches the missing blocks and set the other account as backup.

wellyfish
07-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks for explaining ... make sense to me now!

friedrice4321
07-22-2012, 08:14 PM
thanks for the clarifications!!