PDA

View Full Version : How do I use IRC for FileSharing for free?

rocky12
07-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Hi everyone,

Before I begin. I have been told that that one person here that knows about IRC, and in fact he advises other users by helping them. I know he replied a lot to my thread which were based on proxies/VPNs. Hopefully we will help in this thread even though I wasn't understanding due to my issues I have. Hopefully he will see this thread and maybe, or maybe not advise me with help?

As far as using IRC as a FileSharing method to download. I don't know anything about commands, so would there be free ways by doing this without using command line, possibly using straight out GUI? I know, or believe ircspy.com, and packetnews.com was shut down, right? Even if they were up and running, would they be easier to use? I know XChat is no longer free, but a command would be @find, and I mainly want to search for contents, so maybe a replacement of those sites I mentioned would be easier? Or would there even be an easier way? Also, what free client would someone recommend? I know XChat I heard is good, but it's not free anymore, and mIRC is not free either. I am running a Windows 7 desktop PC, and that would be 32-bit as x86.

I appreciate any help,

Thank you,

anon
07-15-2012, 06:13 PM
I know XChat I heard is good, but it's not free anymore, and mIRC is not free either.

XChat-WDK is free. Not that a client being shareware is a huge inconvenience, anyway...

About IRC downloading. It has a slightly higher learning curve than BitTorrent or Ares, so don't expect to find an app that will magically find and download the files for you without effort. Do try watching this tutorial though, it seems noob-friendly enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of7x2oAokYM

rocky12
07-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Thank you very much, anon! I'll watch the video.

@anon,

I watched the entire video. I wasn't really understanding the hash tags, and I wasn't sure where he pulled up that music listing of DCC I believe it was? I do know he said #/join, right? Also, what server to connect too for music albums? He was using Verizon. It was a great video tutorial.

anon
07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
I wasn't really understanding the hash tags, and I wasn't sure where he pulled up that music listing of DCC I believe it was?

He took the list from a web site because it was also available in that way. When you don't have that, you have to join the channel and query the bot to see which files are being served.

I do know he said #/join, right?

What he typed was '/join #precure'. All IRC commands (such as /join, /nick, /server) begin with a slash, and all channel names begin with a hash tag. Hence, /join #precure makes you join the 'precure' channel on the server you're connected to. The video uses those as an example, you'll be joining different servers and channels to download the things you want.

Also, what server to connect too for music albums?

Look for the file you want to get on an indexer like xdcc.it (http://xdcc.it/) first. It will tell you its pack number, as well as the server, channel and name of the bot that serves it.

bbhaag
07-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the good info Anon. Do you have any other suggestions/tips for using IRC? Besides indexing sites(they suck imo) do you have a favorite release channel you hang out in?

anon
07-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Glad I could help, but unfortunately I can't give any channel recommendations. I actually only know the basics, mostly.

bbhaag
07-16-2012, 01:44 AM
Glad I could help, but unfortunately I can't give any channel recommendations. I actually only know the basics, mostly.
Aww come on man just a little hint? A guy thats been around a place like since '09 has surely heard a few whispers here and there.:whistling

mjmacky
07-16-2012, 01:54 AM
This is how I used to download anime, but I'm not sure how simple they would make it for other types of programming.

rocky12
07-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Thank you for your replies with your info!

What's a good replacement for ircspy.com? Or a good replacement for packetnews.com?

PastTense
07-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Mirc is not free? I expect many, many more people use a cracked version of Mirc which they got off a torrent or warez-bb or usenet than actually pay for it. You can also get a Firefox addon for IRC like Chatzilla. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chatzilla/ Suppose you are interested in eBooks: http://mireille.it/how-to-download-ebooks-for-free-within-seconds-no-spam-and-no-torrent-searches/ OR http://www.calvinshub.com/2008/11/how-to-download-e-books-from-mirc/

anon
07-16-2012, 05:53 PM

What's a good replacement for ircspy.com? Or a good replacement for packetnews.com?

Try xdcc.it, I posted a link a few replies above.

By the way, I retire my words about a magic app. Search for "xWeasel - a Standalone XDCC Search & Download App" with the quotes in Google and read the first result. Maybe it'll help.

rocky12
07-16-2012, 10:09 PM

Try xdcc.it, I posted a link a few replies above.

By the way, I retire my words about a magic app. Search for "xWeasel - a Standalone XDCC Search & Download App" with the quotes in Google and read the first result. Maybe it'll help.

Maybe I should try joining #mp3passion with Undernet server? Or would there be larger ones out there then mp3passion? I know that channel is for mp3's, but could I get albums as well? I did watch that tutorial, but I wasn't understanding. I just not understanding how to connect, but we still have too figure out for me to register the nick. Maybe I could try following a tutorial that is hand written rather then video? I could certainly see if that will work. I have been searching myself. Maybe you could some that you found would be good? I tried searching in Google.

P2PDog
07-16-2012, 10:56 PM
You may be biting off too much at once.. I think you should start with a basic MIRC tutorial, learn how to use IRC, then move up to the filesharing.

http://bit.ly/SDfDc1

rocky12
07-18-2012, 01:04 AM
I think I got the hang of it, but it's not using the commands.

In XChat 2, I installed it, and then I entered my nick, my alternative nick, and I left the third alternative blank, and I entered a username. For the servers/channels. This is only an example because I'm not sure if it fits my needs. I highlighted Undernet, and then edit to put in #mp3passion, and then I connected. What I did after connected was @find my album. Replace my album with an actually that the person is looking for.

Would this is be correct?

If so, what would be the #1 largest server and channel to get any kind of albums the person is looking for? I know in that case the download won't be in .mp3 format, but instead .zip because of the albums. I am looking forward to hear from you guys!

Thank you all for the info!

bbhaag
07-18-2012, 04:55 PM
That's a pretty handy indexing site. It's very current which is more than I can say for most out there. You don't even have to use the App if you don't want to. Just copy and paste the bot command into your chat client and boom you're ready to go.
Of course you need to be on the right server and in the right channel to do that, but it's nice because it gives you that info.

rocky12
07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
That's a pretty handy indexing site. It's very current which is more than I can say for most out there. You don't even have to use the App if you don't want to. Just copy and paste the bot command into your chat client and boom you're ready to go.
Of course you need to be on the right server and in the right channel to do that, but it's nice because it gives you that info.

I tried searching in Google with the quotes, but it returned no results with the quotes. It wanted me to try my search without quotes. Here is the link to my search.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=%22xweasel+a+standalone+search%26download+app%22&oq=%22xweasel+a+standalone+search%26download+app%22&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3...5692.48127.0.49173.45.43.1.1.1.0.286.7579.0j39j4.43.0...0.0...1ac.kNfZ1HONMdg

Also, I went to xWeasel site, I think it's .com, or .org. I forget, but anyway, the reason why I wasn't asking about it because I can't find anything there I like. I did a search on the site using their search engine, and it's constantly coming back with no results. I even narrowed it down by artist/band, and nothing. I also tried searching for something different, and that time it comes back with only little results.

bbhaag
07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
It probably depends on what Artists you're searching for. The more popular the band the more results you're going to get. This goes for IRC, Usenet, Popular torrent sites, ect...
For example if I do a search for an indie band named Jimmy Eat World I only get a few results for single MP3s but I know they have several albums because I own them. If I search for The Beatles I get several pages.

rocky12
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
It probably depends on what Artists you're searching for. The more popular the band the more results you're going to get. This goes for IRC, Usenet, Popular torrent sites, ect...
For example if I do a search for an indie band named Jimmy Eat World I only get a few results for single MP3s but I know they have several albums because I own them. If I search for The Beatles I get several pages.

I understand. I don't use Usenet for reasons. I can pretty much find everything on torrents easy. I use Demonoid, and I use RuTracker.org, and they pretty much have it, or sometimes I use FilesTube.com with jDownloader. I am into the Grateful Dead, so what I do is go to a reference site such deaddisc.com, and look under discography, and download individual albums from torrents, or something. The discography from that sites gives the albums they made, and I would like everything. For some reason I can't find anything on IRC, but I could find them on torrents.

bbhaag
07-18-2012, 08:59 PM
I did a search for the grateful dead in a channel I usually hang out in and I got one hit back. It was a file called (01) |*22x| |*69M| Grateful Dead - Skeletons From The Closet - 2004.rar and that was it.
Sorry man, IRC is a very though place to find rare and obscure content unless you hang out, make friends, and eventually get invited to a private channel.

You could try requesting the content you are looking for. Some of the more popular channels like moviegods allow you to make requests, but you have to follow the proper commands, be specific, and don't request and run. They hate that shit....even then depending on how obscure of album you are looking for the request might not be filled.

gl man I hope you eventually find what you're looking for.:)

rocky12
07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Thank you very much for the detailed info. Maybe I should go with torrents instead since the larger channels probably be a no go? What do you think? I'm thinking torrents since everything is rare.

Thank you again,

rocky12
07-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know how to code an IRC script that enables the search function which then allows me to click on something I want to download, and it takes me to the channel for automatic downloading? If I want that script bad enough, and I'm nice about it, and then just maybe someone will code it for free depends on how nice the person is? Or the other option would be to pay someone? It could certainly be done, but someone would need the time to code it. Or have me learn all the commands without the need of such a script. I have managed my way to a IRC script forums I believe it is. They talk about other things then clients/servers.

evlucy
08-11-2012, 04:14 AM
thanks for the link to straight forward instructions.