PDA

View Full Version : Windows Cloud storage software/OwnCloud question

byrnesc1
07-18-2012, 08:54 PM
So I'm a bit torn on where to post this as it involves hardware AND software issues as well as cloud stuff which I suppose could go under the internet section but whatever. Mods, feel free to move it as you see fit. I'm just looking for some advice on this topic.

I'll start this off by saying I haven't used owncloud yet so if anyone has used it and can provide a positive or negative review of it that would be great.

I work from home with teams of people and clients all over the world. The main way we share files is via various cloud storage spaces. I have a windows skydrive, google drive, dropbox, and box.com account. For some of them I have 2+ accounts just because space is so limited. I just purchased a shiny new desktop with a 1tb harddrive so local storage for my work files isn't an issue. From what I've read about owncloud, I can set it up on my desktop to act as a "cloud server" for my files. It also has a feature where you can mount your cloud storage as a folder within your OwnCloud. Has anyone tried this and if so does it allow you to use multiple accounts for one service?

Ultimately, what I'm looking for is a way to manage all of my cloud storage accounts(including multiple dropbox and google drive ones) through one (free) desktop program. If anyone knows of a program other than owncloud that they'd recommend than I'd love to hear about it. I've heard about Gladinet but they're a bit out of my price range. I know there are a few web-based services that offer things like this but that kind of defeats the purpose of having it quickly available to save/open, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if I did use OwnCloud I'd probably make a seperate partition just for that. If anyone has thoughts, experience, or input with that feel free to chime in.

byrnesc1
07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Anyone? Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?