PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried/used sickbeard?

Skiz
07-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I stumbled across this while looking through XBMC plugins and I thought it looked interesting. Does anyone here use it or have any experience with it?

http://sickbeard.com/

"Sick Beard is a PVR for newsgroup users (with limited torrent support). It watches for new episodes of your favorite shows and when they are posted it downloads them, sorts and renames them, and optionally generates metadata for them. It currently supports NZBs.org, NZBMatrix, NZBs'R'Us, Newzbin, Womble's Index, NZB.su, TVTorrents and EZRSS and retrieves show information from theTVDB.com and TVRage.com."

johhny
07-22-2012, 08:55 AM
i tested sabnzbd with sickbeard and it works excellent.

Skiz
07-23-2012, 08:17 PM
OK, so I tested out sickbeard this weekend and this thing is a game changer. I'm so happy I gave this a chance.

It took a few hours of tinkering to get everything entrenched but it was well worth the time. Before Sickbeard, I used to use RSS hashes to grab episodes from my routine shows. This was nice, but I still needed to manually rename movie folders and move them to their respective folder, or manually move episodes before then opening XBMC to watch them. I've loathed those manual steps for years now. My media center has never felt very complete when I have been tethered to opening and closing it to perform those functions. Now I don't need to.

In a nutshell, this is what Sickbeard is now doing for me. Sickbeard searches the NZB site(s) of your choosing for the content you assign. The two that I regularly use are NZBsRus and FST. I haven't tried added FST yet but I did add NZBsRus. I set SB to look for new episodes every 30 minutes. After finding a match, it then (automatically of course) imports the NZB into your newsreader (in my case SABnzbd) and downloads the episode. It's even smart enough to look for propers/repacks and replace any nuked episodes that it may have just snatched for you. Then upon completion, it will rename the file to any structure you choose and place it in the appropriate show and season folder. This means that I no longer need to close XBMC at all unless I want to make changes to Sickbeard.

The only thing I'll note for anyone thinking of using this is you need SABnzbd. If you're not already using it, you should be.

:happy: