PDA

View Full Version : Use OpenVPN based VPN? Protect from disconnects using this tool I wrote

TheLaughingMan
07-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Update: Does not work on 64-bit OS as of right now, will be patched for compatibility with 64 bit within the next few days (when I borrow a 64 bit laptop :p)

If you use an OpenVPN based VPN service to protect your identify while downloading stuff with any sort of p2p software, if your VPN server goes down or something and you get disconnected, your normal connection is defaulted to and if you are not at your computer and running a torrent program when this happens, you could be vunerable.

I looked for something like this but could not find anything that worked, so I wrote one myself. Tentatively titled, "VPNGuard", you run it from a cmd prompt while connected to your TAP-Adapter based VPN (OpenVPN, 90% of paid VPN services use a TAP Adapter) followed by the name of the image you want it to kill, like VPNGuard rawrtorrent.exe

It will then notify you that it is monitoring the TAP adapter, and will kill the specified program instantly if the TAP adapter becomes disconnected. This does not use something like a short interval loop to check, it is notified by the OS itself, so there would be no lag between the connection dropping the program being killed.

I don't have a set place to host it for future updates, so I just have it on rapidshare right now. Full details are in the readme. Enjoy!

Virus Total scan
https://www.virustotal.com/file/528ef38dd7d469b35776393e39922079902752299ba4ded0d4cbfb8b8b9d95ed/analysis/1343371684/

Rapidshare link for download
https://rapidshare.com/files/3852479303/VPNGuard.rar

Again this is written by me and free to use, give away, whatever.

megabyteme
07-29-2012, 01:22 AM
For all of those who would run like hell from something like this, Anon checked it out, and this post was given consideration before being allowed.

It is still wise to use caution with anything posted in a thread, but this one has been OK'd, and the author's intentions seem pure. :)

Thanks to the prog, TLM. I will be switching to VPN once my ISP begins spying on me, and this sort of ap could come in handy for many people just starting with a VPN.