PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Bigbeard86
07-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Ive been looking at usenet recently doing lots of reading.
Right now m using news hosting free trial.

I don't do lots of dl, maybe a couple of movies a week and a pc game only a few times a year.
Right now news hosting offers unlimited 1 year for 99... Their speeds are good and my 50mb connection is maxed.

However, since I don't do too much, blocks might be better for me. Astraweb offers 1 TB for 50 bucks...saves me money and I'm sure that will last me over a year (17gigs a week). The thing is, I have been reading lots of bad stuff about astraweb lately. How would my speeds fare with them? Any advice is appreciated.
Btw, I am in the US

Hole69
07-28-2012, 03:39 AM
Bad stuff? I've been using Astraweb for over 7 months, and have had zero problems. I vaguely remember a slowdown for an hour or so, but that was probably my ISP. Files have been complete and working excluding UFC which has been taken down across all providers usually within an hour of posting. So the service is great and the prices are great. If you are a "lite" user that 1TB block is a good option. I usually hit 200GB+ a month so I went for the annaul $96 offer. Bottom line, its worth it.

Cascadeur
07-28-2012, 10:07 PM
I've been using Astraweb for 16 months now, and I'm a happy user. I've experienced better completion rates than my previous provider, usenetserver (highwinds).
The only downside was that usenetserver allowed multiple IPs, while astraweb does not. I do not share my account, but I use different IPs, so it occasionally caused a few problems.

PastTense
07-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I think most people here recommend getting Usenet from at least two sources because of the occasional problems you get with just one. Anyone want to suggest another block account to go with astraweb?

kalone
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
I've been using Astraweb for 16 months now, and I'm a happy user. I've experienced better completion rates than my previous provider, usenetserver (highwinds).
The only downside was that usenetserver allowed multiple IPs, while astraweb does not. I do not share my account, but I use different IPs, so it occasionally caused a few problems.
I have no problem using Astaweb with more than one IP address, works fine. Only have a problem if I try to connect to multiple IPs at the same time. I use a VPN and I connect from many IPs and countries.