PDA

View Full Version : Chance to Win Razer Gear

MarathonB
08-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone:

I've been a longstanding visitor/reader of FST, whether it be for news or interesting community content. I wanted to take a quick sec and share a charity event I'm running through FundRazr, as it involves some really sweet Razer gear prizes - figured the "Games" forum was the best place to post this given Razer's recognition among fellow gamers.

So to keep it short and sweet, I'm running the ING Hartford CT Marathon on Oct. 13, 2012, and not simply with the goal to break 3 hours completion time, but to also run for a cause - the National Children's Cancer Society (NCCS). Razer was kind enough to provide two of their latest products for a raffle to help drive interest - the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard ($139.99 value) (http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/blackwidow) & Razer Naga Hex ($79.99 value) (http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/hex). How it's going to work is, all donors of $20 or more will automatically receive a raffle ticket for the BlackWidow keyboard, while donors under $20 will receive a raffle ticket for the Naga Hex mouse. The prizes absolutely rock and so far we have 16 contributors... so the odds are fairly high for winning some pricey Razer gear.

Aside from awesome prizes, I couldn't think of a better cause to support given how well established, trusted and understood the NCCS is.

With that said, hopefully this generates a little bit of interest, while at the same time offering the gamer-specific interested FST member a chance at winning some awesome new gear.

---> Event link is here! (http://fnd.us/c/9LK53)

Thanks a bunch everyone!
MarathonB

IdolEyes787
08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
As much as I believe that the charity is a worthy one, to give you money would fly smack in the face of my long-held belief that anyone who (suddenly) decides to use the site simply because they think they can get something from the membership is a wank.

MarathonB
08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey there Idol,

Well appreciate the feedback and time spent reply! If that's the general feeling, I'm more than happy to have this thread closed out. Really just doing it for the cause. Again, I've been reading content on FST for some time, but have never been an active forum participant (would never suggest to be). It's simply a run I'm doing for charity, and as mentioned through FundRazr - 100% of the proceeds will go to the NCCS. The internal goal of $2k is shown and if I can hit it, I'll be totally pumped, but if not, at least I tried *winks*. I'd imagine a well seasoned FST member would do considerably better here, but every dollar counts, and I can't not try to reach out (even as a "n00b").

Anywho :) again feedback, positive or negative, is great to have. So thanks a bunch!

Benjamin

IdolEyes787
08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
You just impinged on my "never trust anyone who smiles too much" rule.

Anyway good luck and I hope that other members can over look my points and the fact that doctors are always asking for donations but ironically make more money than God or that Razer could have simply and discretely given you the money (instead of like McDonald's and others buying a little cheap PR) and open their wallets to you .

Sorry for being frank with you ben and as I said good luck.

MarathonB
08-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Idol,

Totally understand and honestly didn't even think of it like this. I've been a triathlete / marathon runner for 6-7 years now, and have never ran for a cause. This round, I decided it would perhaps feel a bit more gratifying to run for something... something other than a competitive time. I've long been wary of social networking *chuckles*, and actually started my fund raising by walking to the neighbors, talking at the gym, etc. (all physical points of contact). Doing this online is actually a bit more stressful lol... at least when trying to break away from my inner social circle (e.g. family, close friends). And what you shed light on is a sad fact...

Anyways, I think I'm just going to have a moderator close/lock this thread out - perhaps it wasn't the best idea. Think I rather have few donors / less stress combo *laughs* :). And nothing against you Idol - appreciate your honesty to say the least.

Best,
Ben

manker
08-06-2012, 08:53 PM
What a nice guy.

All the best, Ben.
I'm not going to sponsor you as I don't know you but it's a nice thing that you're doing and perhaps you'll have better luck with closer acquaintances.

Someone did a similar thing in the lounge recently and got a few people to sponsor her on a fun run for aids babies in Africa. She's been a member for years, though, so I had no qualms sponsoring her.

As I said, it doesn't look like many people here will sponsor you but don't let it devalue what you're doing and I hope you'll stick around and use this forum for chatting about stuff in the future.
All the best with the marathon.

MarathonB
08-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks Manker!!! :)

Definitely will simply do my best with both running and the charity event! And will certainly participate a bit more within the forum community... certainly many respectable people in here!

- Ben

IdolEyes787
08-06-2012, 10:11 PM
What a nice guy.

All the best, Ben.
I'm not going to sponsor you as I don't know you but it's a nice thing that you're doing and perhaps you'll have better luck with closer acquaintances.

Someone did a similar thing in the lounge recently and got a few people to sponsor her on a fun run for aids babies in Africa. She's been a member for years, though, so I had no qualms sponsoring her.

As I said, it doesn't look like many people here will sponsor you but don't let it devalue what you're doing and I hope you'll stick around and use this forum for chatting about stuff in the future.
All the best with the marathon.

Motherfucker.Thanks to you and to instil some faith in humanity ,I just gave some money.

I don't care how slow or white you are marathon boy,now you better do well at that race and not embarrass me.

Also it was $20.53 with the exchange so fuck your site and it's lies.

MarathonB
08-06-2012, 10:19 PM
*Cheers* Thanks Idol!!!!! *Eyes opened WIDE* --- Seriously appreciate the support! Will not let you down on the run!

Wife and I have a GoPro camera, so we're going to capture some good moments throughout the race (e.g. finish line, mid-way, etc) and will post on our little YouTube channel for donors. We're also going to post a video with the raffle winners (with their approval of course), and maybe post a few shots of the finish line with a little hand-written message to thank everyone :).

Ah thanks again Idol - really awesome of you. I know it's going out on the limb... so really^2 appreciate it.

- Ben

PS: Wife and I are doing a Spartan Race in MA this Saturday (part of training, well her training as the distance isn't very far - 3-4miles)! I'll toss a link of the video to show our shape *winks*. And by the way, we aren't a massive YouTube channel (not trying to promote that in any way, shape, or form lol - 1 subscriber (wife).

PS2: I hate the fee structure with FundRazr/PayPal - my only complaint of FundRazr.

IdolEyes787
08-06-2012, 10:21 PM

You're not sponsoring him so much as giving money to fight childhood cancer,skinflint.

manker
08-06-2012, 10:23 PM
*chuckles*

$10 of that was implicitly from me by way of karma or something else.

MarathonB
08-06-2012, 10:25 PM
*Noted for the raffle* --- *laughs* :)

IdolEyes787
08-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Ah thanks again Idol - really awesome of you. I know it's going out on the limb... so really^2 appreciate it.

It's only going out on a limb if you end up cleaning out my bank account or something. Also if I do (God forbid) end up winning something just give it to whoever seemed to want it the most as I'm planning on giving up the internet and becoming a traveling knight for hire.

I already got the business cards done."A hero greater than any cause is worth".

*chuckles*

$10 of that was implicitly from me by way of karma or something else.
O beware, my lord, of jealousy
It is the green eyed monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on

MarathonB
08-07-2012, 02:41 AM
It's only going out on a limb if you end up cleaning out my bank account or something. Also if I do (God forbid) end up winning something just give it to whoever seemed to want it the most as I'm planning on giving up the internet and becoming a traveling knight for hire.

I already got the business cards done."A hero greater than any cause is worth".

WELL if you do win Idol :) (note my wife will be pulling the names out of a hat without my help), I'm STILL going to have at least your user name on a piece of paper at the finish line with a big spicy THANKS! *winks*

- Ben