PDA

View Full Version : Last 6+ Months of 'Important' Threads

Beck38
05-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Since it's now a pretty much done deal that the last 6+ months of threads are gone to the bit bucket, here's what thread I can remember that, for whatever, stuck in my craw:

1. Astraweb/US. Somewhat major 'screw-up' around March, a couple weeks of really bad operation. Since, it's been running very 'normal', the Sunday Evening maintenance slowdowns have completely disappeared and any other hours plus slowdowns have almost disappeared, and I run multiple connections 24/7 so unless they are happening in the middle of the night (and don't generate any logs, which is pretty impossible), It's running pretty good. Knock on wood.

2. The sheer amount of bulk traffic on usenet continues to grow apace, and this includes not just encrypted rars and scrambled filenames, but a simply huge amount of small spam files over a multitude of newsgroups, being posted through ssl-news, that has basically rendered the technique of d/l'iing headers and doing manual searching almost impossible. We're talking upwards of 10M junk headers every 24/hours. Just d/ling them takes several hours.

The number of these junk files is beginning to affect both the commercial providers as well as the indexers, both of whom seemed to take it in stride when the number was 2-3M/day, but are starting to feel the strain now that it's hitting 10M+.

3. The posters haven't gotten smarter the last few months. Many are still trying to play the 'my auto-capture program is faster than your takedown program' rather than use that thing between their ears to avoid the takedowns.

kanine
05-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Excellent summary, I'd probably add that with the demise of the Matrix there are now a plethora of Newznab sites out there, as well as a few "post" index sites. There is a separate thread that does. or will have a list of those.

Hypatia
05-05-2013, 05:01 PM
a simply huge amount of small spam files over a multitude of newsgroups

MAFIA hired them no doubt lol

Beck38
05-05-2013, 09:18 PM
a simply huge amount of small spam files over a multitude of newsgroups

MAFIA hired them no doubt lol

Since it all originates at a 'well-known' dutch provider, it's more likely being generated by one (or more) of the 'for pay' euro sites since it actually affects 'real' folks and not those with the resources to easily filter the junk out.

One has to remember always, that the average connection throughput in, say, the US is <6Mb/s (with a high probability of caps on that bandwidth), so that's who gets affected the most.

r_black
05-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the concise summary.

Broken
05-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Terrible shame all was lost during such an active time in the Usenet world.

There was more going on in the last several months, than the last several years.

Beck38
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Terrible shame all was lost during such an active time in the Usenet world.

There was more going on in the last several months, than the last several years.

Yep, a lot of which can be filed under 'pre-emptive' war, with the huge spike in private, for-pay, de-crypt sites, while the vast majority of actual binary postings (some completely in the 'open' while others with either minimal or 'fake' encryption) continues apace.

Of course, if your bent is in pro-wrestling, some p0rn, or tv (broadcast or pay-cable/satellite) series that are completely available on the worlds biggest source (Netflix), then the world is aflame and your moans can be heard down the block.

justlooking
05-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Of course, if your bent is in pro-wrestling, some p0rn, or tv (broadcast or pay-cable/satellite) series that are completely available on the worlds biggest source (Netflix), then the world is aflame and your moans can be heard down the block.

Carmen Electra's Naked Women's Wrestling League was that and SO MUCH MORE, Beck38.

user3240
05-06-2013, 11:32 PM
"Since it's now a pretty much done deal that the last 6+ months of threads are gone to the bit bucket, here's what thread I can remember that, for whatever, stuck in my craw:

2. The sheer amount of bulk traffic on usenet continues to grow apace, and this includes not just encrypted rars and scrambled filenames, but a simply huge amount of small spam files over a multitude of newsgroups, being posted through ssl-news, that has basically rendered the technique of d/l'iing headers and doing manual searching almost impossible. We're talking upwards of 10M junk headers every 24/hours. Just d/ling them takes several hours. "

Manual searching almost impossible? All the major public indexers can be set to filter out obvious spam. A quality rip won't be under 1000mb. That filters out the small spam. Many indexers are filtering out most passworded spam. I'd be more concerned with USPs running out of space.

"The number of these junk files is beginning to affect both the commercial providers as well as the indexers, both of whom seemed to take it in stride when the number was 2-3M/day, but are starting to feel the strain now that it's hitting 10M+."

Is it about USPs storage or people who don't know how to filter?

"3. The posters haven't gotten smarter the last few months. Many are still trying to play the 'my auto-capture program is faster than your takedown program' rather than use that thing between their ears to avoid the takedowns."

The so called " auto-capture" programs usually work if you have a backup block account to go with your primary. People are using their brains. There are spotters and uppers in many groups for those who missed it the first time.

What do you suggest? You have pointed out problems. What is the solution?

Beck38
05-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Manual searching almost impossible? All the major public indexers can be set to filter out obvious spam. A quality rip won't be under 1000mb. That filters out the small spam. Many indexers are filtering out most passworded spam. I'd be more concerned with USPs running out of space.

"The number of these junk files is beginning to affect both the commercial providers as well as the indexers, both of whom seemed to take it in stride when the number was 2-3M/day, but are starting to feel the strain now that it's hitting 10M+."

Is it about USPs storage or people who don't know how to filter?

One still has to d/l all those headers before applying the filters. Many binary searchers do 'pre filter' things one way or another, in many cases failing to properly index many postings. That's why one can't rely on only one search site, one has to go to several.

"3. The posters haven't gotten smarter the last few months. Many are still trying to play the 'my auto-capture program is faster than your takedown program' rather than use that thing between their ears to avoid the takedowns."

The so called " auto-capture" programs usually work if you have a backup block account to go with your primary. People are using their brains. There are spotters and uppers in many groups for those who missed it the first time.

What do you suggest? You have pointed out problems. What is the solution?

There was a long thread with tons of suggestions, many of which I'm using at present to maintain my 0% takedowns over the last 10+ years.

I'll start a new thread with the basics spelled out.

Beck38
05-07-2013, 08:48 PM
And as is fairly typicical, Astra/US is off the rails today, going on 2-3 hours now. We'll see how long this lasts!

Actually was a level3 prolem. Running fie now

chakara
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
There was a long thread with tons of suggestions, many of which I'm using at present to maintain my 0% takedowns over the last 10+ years.

I'll start a new thread with the basics spelled out.

None of my posts are taken down either and yet I use the plain name of the release in the subject ... It depends what you upload.
If you're able to upload, say, all seasons of TBBT in bluray and have it stick, then bravo. Otherwise it just means that you're posting stuff that's not targeted.

Beck38
05-09-2013, 09:13 PM
These folks are all depending on auto-downloaders, to try and 'snatch' the stuff before it can be targeted; that's doomed to failure.

I changed up my posting routine a little bit when this all hit some4-5 months ago. I will be trying to re-post what I posted 2-3 months ago today, if I can get my neurons to fire properly.

Just went through all my postings from 8/08 with NZBcc (a LOT, took about 48+ hours to check Astra/US), maximum 'gaps' were some 2% in nzb's that were at least 10% pars.