PDA

View Full Version : Thebox banning people with seedboxes?

crows2013
05-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Gday all.
Just a bit of background...Ive been on a lot of torrent sites since BT first started. I have fantastic stats on the sites i use today. tvtorrents and TD are the two i use most now and i will never run out of ratio..im terrabytes ahead of ever being 1:1. so im a great share and yes, i use a Seedbox.
A bizzare thing happened yesterday that ive never seen before.
I joined Thebox.bz and liked some of their stuff. SO i loaded 5 torrents into my seedbox and went to bed. Got up and checked my stats last night and seen i'd uploaded near 500 gig. great, so i stopped the torrents and went to check the site.
I was banned.

SO i log into their irc chan this morning and they tell me i was banned for cheating. I'm like whaaaaaat? They said yup, cheating and wont be renabled. At the same time another user comes in with pretty much the same story.

Im absolutely stunned at this.

Is this some kind of new behaviour that is going around torrent sites or is isolated to that once place?

Cheating??? By using a seedbox? that is funniest things ive ever heard. No site had ever had an issue and most places welcome me just fine and are happy. Arent we supposed to give back?

Please someone tell me that i havent actually done the wrong thing.....

the service is use is from feral hosting..cheap, but they do the job

justlooking
05-06-2013, 09:50 PM
They've been mentioning people with seedboxes limiting their free leech uploads to something like 4x or they'd take drastic action. I don't know if this is related in some way. They said free leech is to help people improve their ratio to stay on the site, not to build up a ratio of 10,000 to 1.

crows2013
05-06-2013, 10:34 PM
So the solution is to ban people and not temp ban them until the seedbox is turned off?
Kinda silly.

I once was admin on an Aussie tracker and we used to be able to cut people off from the tracker so they were neither uploading or download if we needed to have something checked.

ive really never seen this kind of behaviour on any tracker before

DeadPoet
05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
It's kinda silly to spend money on seedbox to get huge ratios and terabytes of buffer. Overseeding sucks.

IdolEyes787
05-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Gday all.
Just a bit of background...Ive been on a lot of torrent sites since BT first started. I have fantastic stats on the sites i use today. tvtorrents and TD are the two i use most now and i will never run out of ratio..im terrabytes ahead of ever being 1:1. so im a great share and yes, i use a Seedbox.
I joined Thebox.bz and liked some of their stuff. SO i loaded 5 torrents into my seedbox and went to bed. Got up and checked my stats last night and seen i'd uploaded near 500 gig. great, so i stopped the torrents and went to check the site.
I was banned.

SO i log into their irc chan this morning and they tell me i was banned for cheating. I'm like whaaaaaat? They said yup, cheating and wont be renabled. At the same time another user comes in with pretty much the same story.

Is this some kind of new behaviour that is going around torrent sites or is isolated to that once place?

Cheating??? By using a seedbox? that is funniest things ive ever heard. No site had ever had an issue and most places welcome me just fine and are happy. Arent we supposed to give back?

Out of curiosity did you download the five torrents because you actually really wanted to watch what they contained or did you look for a bunch of torrents that seemed the most likely to generate the greatest ratio benefit to you?
Please be entirely honest if possible if that's not asking too much.

Btw it's not but I don't expect you to anyway as I'm realistic cynical like that.:)

crows2013
05-06-2013, 10:47 PM
In Australia, at least where I am, it is hard to upload more than 80mb an hour..so seedbox is handy

Gday all.
I was banned.

Out of curiosity did you download the five torrents because you actually really wanted to watch what they contained or did you look for a bunch of torrents that seemed the most likely to generate the greatest ratio benefit to you?
Please be entirely honest if possible if that's not asking too much.

Btw it's not but I don't expect you to anyway as I'm realistic cynical like that.:)

well, the answer really isnt all that relevant to the argument..please dont take me the wrong way, not trying to be smart arse..but i wasnt banned for downloading and uploading things i may or may not have wanted. I dont think there is any tracker in the world that says you must want what you download. We've all downloaded stuff to upload..hell, most site suggest to do this very thing!

But to actually answer your question....three of the torrents did actually keep for myself ( downloaded them from my box to home ) and two were to purely build ratio-which is not cheating and not against any rule.
In my country our upload is incredibly slow unfortunately

IdolEyes787
05-06-2013, 11:37 PM
well, the answer really isnt all that relevant to the argument..please dont take me the wrong way, not trying to be smart arse..but i wasnt banned for downloading and uploading things i may or may not have wanted. I dont think there is any tracker in the world that says you must want what you download. We've all downloaded stuff to upload..hell, most site suggest to do this very thing!

But to actually answer your question....three of the torrents did actually keep for myself ( downloaded them from my box to home ) and two were to purely build ratio-which is not cheating and not against any rule.
In my country our upload is incredibly slow unfortunately

The answer is entirely relevant to me and apparently someone at Thebox at well.

Personally and I may possibly be trying to be a smart-ass but I think the staff at Thebox were more than fair as if I were them (and thank sweet heavenly God I'm not) I would have sought you out and punched you directly in the face for callously fucking up the lives of strangers.

Me and Judge Dredd,we do justice right.:)

Btw totally unrelated but I just went out and ate a bunch food at a soup kitchen for the poor.
I was neither broke nor hungry but seriously, fuck the destitute .If they are starving I'm sure I left a few crumbs for them.

pootystomp
05-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Btw totally unrelated but I just went out and ate a bunch food at a soup kitchen for the poor.
I was neither broke nor hungry but seriously, fuck the destitute .If they are starving I'm sure I left a few crumbs for them.

Me too, foods for shit but boy do I love free shit.

absent_today
05-07-2013, 01:27 AM
I guess filelist.ro also don't allow building buffers

darkblue
05-07-2013, 04:13 AM
I guess filelist.ro also don't allow building buffers

me and my two invited friends have huge buffers there
and i have big buffers on some other trackers also
just make sure you write on your profile that you are using seedbox and wirte seedbox ip if possible.
do this on every tracker i have.if staff have any doubte they can ask me

zaxxonite
05-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Next time put your torrents into a Ratio Group of 4.0.

crows2013
05-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Ive never heard of or seen any site banning people for sharing too much. Sites always cry out for people to share share share. To ban someone for it? Wow.
If they have some amount in mind they should make it clear or cut you off and tell you hey, thats enough.

What do the acheive by life banning people? nothing. I understand for repeated breaking of mysterious rules..but for seesing heaps and making a site faster?

Hell, i would have donated a heap of ratio to any user that asked.

IdolEyes787
05-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Ive never heard of or seen any site banning people for sharing too much. Sites always cry out for people to share share share. To ban someone for it? Wow.
If they have some amount in mind they should make it clear or cut you off and tell you hey, thats enough.

What do the acheive by life banning people? nothing. I understand for repeated breaking of mysterious rules..but for seesing heaps and making a site faster?

But in reality you're not really sharing as sharing assumes a certain degree of magnanimity and loss.I would say by strict definition you're hoarding and any benefit to anyone but yourself is strictly collateral damage.

Anyway since my sad tale of soup kitchen wankery was apparently entirely lost on you...

There's this school, see and the teacher because she's none too bright decides to put out this great big ginormous cake for all the children to share in.
Well wouldn't you know it but no sooner had she put it out than Fat Fred who's much bigger than the other students (owing to the fact he's stupid and so has been left back several times even though it's only 3rd Grade) grabs as much of the cake as he can in his grubby little hands and then decides if anyone wants cake they will have to go through him first.

"Here" I'll share my cake with you.Just be damn sure to thank me" mumbles Fred through his fat mouth overstuffed with chocolaty goodness.

He also insists they kiss his feet but only the boys as Fred is apparently besides being a bully,also gay.

Btw again out of curiosity as I'm sure you're disagreeing with my about your lack of magnanimity,how long on average do you "share" your seedbox torrent with other people.:)

stan
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
To be fair there has been numerous warnings on TheBox about it for over 12 months.Not my kinda site but this hardly came out of the blue.

Zaxxonite 's post above gives you the answer.

anigav
05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Did you ever inform thebox that you are using a seedbox?

anon
05-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Pedro's had rules disallowing ratios higher than 3.0 (I think). SceneFZ doesn't allow you to cross-seed something you downloaded elsewhere.

Rampant overseeding and going crazy with your seedbox makes it harder for those who don't do that to keep a good ratio, see.

crows2013
05-07-2013, 08:41 PM

But in reality you're not really sharing as sharing assumes a certain degree of magnanimity and loss.I would say by strict definition you're hoarding and any benefit to anyone but yourself is strictly collateral damage.

Anyway since my sad tale of soup kitchen wankery was apparently entirely lost on you...

There's this school, see and the teacher because she's none too bright decides to put out this great big ginormous cake for all the children to share in.
Well wouldn't you know it but no sooner had she put it out than Fat Fred who's much bigger than the other students (owing to the fact he's stupid and so has been left back several times even though it's only 3rd Grade) grabs as much of the cake as he can in his grubby little hands and then decides if anyone wants cake they will have to go through him first.

"Here" I'll share my cake with you.Just be damn sure to thank me" mumbles Fred through his fat mouth overstuffed with chocolaty goodness.

He also insists they kiss his feet but only the boys as Fred is apparently besides being a bully,also gay.

Btw again out of curiosity as I'm sure you're disagreeing with my about your lack of magnanimity,how long on average do you "share" your seedbox torrent with other people.:)

I dont have any set times.
When im the original uploader i usually send out 5 complete copies for something..im not always watching.

To be fair there has been numerous warnings on TheBox about it for over 12 months.Not my kinda site but this hardly came out of the blue.

Zaxxonite 's post above gives you the answer.

I wasnt a member 12 months ago.
I joined a day before. Read teh upload rules, read the faq. There was no mention about how much you could or couldnt upload. there was something in the forum that suggested you didnt go over 4.0 on free torrents. I didnt download any free torrents. I downloaded 5 non free torrents and let them go and went to bed.
When i went onto IRC to try sort this problem... they tell me they had made the entire site free at some period during the day.
They changed the status of the torrents at some stage after i loaded them up. That is incredibly bad luck luck, the user shouldnt be punished for that.
The 4.0 thing was not in the rules when i signed up.

Now they are telling me it might not have been for over seeding but because i might have been cheating.

Offered to give them login details for my box so they could see for themselves, but they wernt interested.

Weirdest shite ive ever seen.

Ive been given two different reasons, both are total BS.
Ive done a lot of reading in the last 24 hr and this seems to be a common problem at that site.

Please note, i am not rubbishing them, i just think what they did was a little...off

stan
05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
If the subject is TheBox staff then they are a very poor crew. The very reason I went inactive there.Not surprised they invented things as they went along.

Bhanche
05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Just wanted to mention that thebox is a bit over-seeded as well, currently 1.000.000 seeders and 20.000 leechers.

justlooking
05-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Boy! Talk about temptation to overseed.

"From midnight BST to 23.59.59 BST on 6th May all new uploads ~ will be FREE - FOR TWO WEEKS. Uploaders please wait for status change, before commencing seeding..

Staff will be monitoring for. DOWNLOAD torrents you wish to download. Excessive abuse* WILL be dealt with by staff.

* abuse being any/all bad seeding/torrenting behaviour to the detriment of the commiunity as a whole."

crows2013
05-09-2013, 01:21 AM
Boy! Talk about temptation to overseed.

"From midnight BST to 23.59.59 BST on 6th May all new uploads ~ will be FREE - FOR TWO WEEKS. Uploaders please wait for status change, before commencing seeding..

Staff will be monitoring for. DOWNLOAD torrents you wish to download. Excessive abuse* WILL be dealt with by staff.

* abuse being any/all bad seeding/torrenting behaviour to the detriment of the commiunity as a whole."

So they are banning people for overseeding?

that announcement should state exactly how much you can and cant seed..a forum post isnt the right thing to do...i bet you a lot of site members dont read forums.

To punish some for overseeding on torrents that they made fre after the torrent was already downloading is just stupid. Ive now come across 5 people who contacted my in irc to say they go done as well.

It is the most bizzare thing ive ever seen

zaxxonite
05-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Best part is to get a ratio of 50 on a neutral leech that requires 24 hours of seeding. That's all fine and dandy.