PDA

View Full Version : Uploaders, Take Heed!

Beck38
05-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I had posted something close to this a couple months ago, but of course it's now gone to the bitbucket. I'll try and redo what I had originally commented on.

1. Whatever scheme you come up with, don't 'tie' it into private, for-pay, or similar ways to de-crypt or show the actual files. The best way I've come up with is to let google do the work, put the scrambled filename into mr. google and have it come up with the plain-text name. There are several ways to do this, figure it out.

1b. Oh, and for those who think that using an 'auto-downloader' scheme to quickly figure out the postings and grab them before they get nailed.... is doomed to eventual failure. Those doing the nailing will simply get better and faster, and will (again, eventually), if they think for a minute that they are loosing, will simply find a judge somewhere who will rule that ALL usenet providers have to provide auto-takedown mechanisms. Then things will get really messy.

2. If you encrypt the upload (winrar encryption), then once again, avoid using private, for-pay, sites. Once again, there are various methods, just like the filename, that can be used.

3. Always re-post the nfo in plain-text, so that the major indexers can 'find' it and 'lead' folks to it's existence, without requiring folks to 'de-crypt' all the encrypted filenames out there.

There are more, but that's about where I started last time. Again, ZERO takedowns over the past 13 years, ZERO back to 'zero day' of usenet, Aug08.

What does this mean? Maybe nothing if you live for PPV pro-wrestling, certain (brain-dead to me) tv shows (that are all available through Netflix!) or p0rn. Folks that do need to put pressure (it's called BITCHING) to those posting things in ways that they get pulled down within seconds, to start following some basic rules.

user3240
05-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I had posted something close to this a couple months ago, but of course it's now gone to the bitbucket. I'll try and redo what I had originally commented on.

1. Whatever scheme you come up with, don't 'tie' it into private, for-pay, or similar ways to de-crypt or show the actual files. The best way I've come up with is to let google do the work, put the scrambled filename into mr. google and have it come up with the plain-text name. There are several ways to do this, figure it out.

I'm not sure how mr google works. I've never used it. It's possible to use MD5 or base64 that can be easily decrypted. It it's easy to decrypt, the takedown bots will simply be programmed to decrypt it. Why don't you give us an example.

Many encrypted files are being spotted with freeware programs. They don't all end up in private for-pay sites. Unfortunately, some groups are passcoding titles strictly for their group. Obviously, this violates the spirit of usenet.

[/QUOTE]
2. If you encrypt the upload (winrar encryption), then once again, avoid using private, for-pay, sites. Once again, there are various methods, just like the filename, that can be used.[/QUOTE]

I agree that people should avoid private pay sites. What are these various other methods?

[/QUOTE]
3. Always re-post the nfo in plain-text, so that the major indexers can 'find' it and 'lead' folks to it's existence, without requiring folks to 'de-crypt' all the encrypted filenames out there.
[/QUOTE]

Many uppers are not bothering with NFOs. Worst of all, some NFOs don't mention that the file is passcoded.

[/QUOTE]
There are more, but that's about where I started last time. Again, ZERO takedowns over the past 13 years, ZERO back to 'zero day' of usenet, Aug08.
[/QUOTE]

What does this mean? Maybe nothing if you live for PPV pro-wrestling, certain (brain-dead to me) tv shows (that are all available through Netflix!) or p0rn. Folks that do need to put pressure (it's called BITCHING) to those posting things in ways that they get pulled down within seconds, to start following some basic rules.[/QUOTE]

It might be mindless entertainment to you, but your idea of entertainment might be "mindless" to me. Netflix is not available in every part of the world.

Pr0n is not available in every part of the world. I don't really care much for pr0n or pro-wrestling but I'm not going to make judgements over what should be posted on Usenet.

You act as if you have a magic bullet. Why don't you elaborate on how you have found a way to never have takedowns.

Beck38
05-10-2013, 12:19 AM
duplicate post delete

You might take a few to learn how to quote properly, the first piece gives you an example of how to.

Go over the way things are downloaded, processed by the downloader (un-rar, quickpar) and you'll see the various ways to 'hide' things.

If you don't know how google, and it's web-crawler system, works, you have a lot more problems to figure out than getting usenet to work for you instead of against you. Otherwise, it all appears as 'magic'. Then again, those (who shall remain nameless) who run the takedown machinery, are at least as clueless, which tends to make it easy (so far) to avoid them.

user3240
05-10-2013, 12:43 AM
I am quite familiar with how to "hide" things on Usenet. I am also familiar with GOOGLE's web-crawler system. You said "Mr Google." You implied that you can encrypt files and the decrypted files come up easily on google. I may be "clueless" but I've never seen decrypted files come up on Google.

At any rate, my encrypted files are still up on Usenet. They get spotted on spotter programs. I'm trying to figure out what method you are using that decrypts the files automatically in Google's webcrawler. There are guys involved in Usenet that are smarter than you and I put together. I guess all the scene groups, uppers and spotters are "clueless" since this method of yours has yet to be used.

Usenet works just fine for me.

sandman_1
05-10-2013, 04:28 AM
What does this mean? Maybe nothing if you live for PPV pro-wrestling, certain (brain-dead to me) tv shows (that are all available through Netflix!) or p0rn. Folks that do need to put pressure (it's called BITCHING) to those posting things in ways that they get pulled down within seconds, to start following some basic rules.

We get it dude. You don't like pro wrestling or TV shows. You don't have to repeat it ad nauseam in every post. And btw, Netflix doesn't have every show, every season of a show, ect. so Netflix isn't a total solution.

And to reiterate what user3240 said, Usenet works fine for me but thanks for sharing.

Beck38
05-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Sorry, but like I said in the OP, since the bit-dump here, I mentioned in another thread that I was going to re-iterate the older thread.

And yes, NF is not the TOTAL solution, it's an 80% solution. Other rental sources bring it up to 98%. Then of course there are friends and family... and the occasional 'must have' disc available through commercial sources that some kind (and head screwed on straight) person posts properly.

You implied that you can encrypt files and the decrypted files come up easily on google.

Nowhere did I 'imply' that. What I did was say that it is a 'tool' to head one in the right direction, sort of a 'pre-key' of sorts, will turn on the light so one can shove the key in the slot, and which way to turn it.

Tons of folks have figured out the schema, and it take no real additional 'steps' than one would ordinarily take even if one knew everything about the 'package' up front.

sister
05-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I may be "clueless" but I've never seen decrypted files come up on Google.
Same here. Not a single one.

Hypatia
05-10-2013, 06:14 PM
t's an 80% solution

not even close to 50%. And most shows are in terrible dvd like quality.That is at least on "Swedish" netflix.

teflon05
05-10-2013, 07:49 PM
I would not consider DVD Quality "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination. You must have forgotten VHS quality, or it was before you were born....

piercerseth
05-10-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't care if the pay/private sites post passworded archives--as long as they keep it to their home groups and not cross-posted 4x.

IdolEyes787
05-10-2013, 09:21 PM
I would not consider DVD Quality "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination. You must have forgotten VHS quality, or it was before you were born....You seem to have forgotten that this is filesharing where being an elitist moron is par for the course.

Btw VHS quality looked great on the TVs of that time so everything is relative or something.
Anyway I'm sure that in the far off distant,yet to be imagined future of 6 years from now some equally oblivious person will be calling 1080p "the Great Satan".:mellow:

Beck38
05-10-2013, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=teflon05;3699054]
Anyway I'm sure that in the far off distant,yet to be imagined future of 6 years from now some equally oblivious person will be calling 1080p "the Great Satan".:mellow:

That's probably 100% on the mark, as the industry has been pushing 4000P for a couple of years now; no s/w to feed it, no broadcast, cable, satellite, or internet 'standard' yet, but it's sitting out there.

I was working in SD/Digital way back in 1987, helped develop encoders and satellite transmission equipment and the ATSC/HD standard through the early 90's. It took a good 15 years from that point to actually field everything and get everyone yanked up to the 'future'.

Which movies are being done for blu-ray toady is a mystery to me (the selection process). I have tons of HD stuff pulled off the HD movie channels that will probably NEVER be on disc, yet are excellent films.

As to why you don't have things in your local rental market, please note that a lot of A+ films that are available in Europe aren't, for whatever reason, not in the US. Folks here would say you need more competition in your market, if the government will allow it (the US has that problem in spades, usually).

But since the Euros have things the US doesn't, then why do they tilt toward private (read: encrypted) postings by the ton it seems. Not always, but it's really tilted that way in the last year or so; but I occasionally get 'good stuff' that is only in RegB release, and appreciate when I do. Which is why I keep my posts as close to 'in the clear' as is possible.

Hypatia
05-12-2013, 12:23 PM
You must have forgotten VHS quality,
i havent forgotten anything. But the larger monitor i get the worse it gets.

Beck38
05-12-2013, 02:53 PM
We tend to A/B things via 'The Jetsons', and we do have almost wall-sized video screens today (although flying cars are still firmly on the drawing board).

But what most forget is the 'hidden' infrastructure that makes it all possible. The cell phone is pretty much ubiquitous everywhere in both the 'developed' and 'underdeveloped' world, yet the network that ties it all together, from the basic cell towers to transmission lines connecting those towers right up to trans-oceanic links (satellite and fiber) that makes calling anywhere on the planet as simple (and cheap) as calling next door was 40 years ago.

The 'internet' infrastructure we take for granted was simply 'along for the ride', so to speak, but it's that 'last mile' that is the bugger as the long distance plant was pretty easily replaced with new technology (but realize it did take those 40 years from 1970 up to now) but that the extremely dense 'local loop' plant rarely has the cost reductions driving it to replace all the 100+ years of copper, not to mention the political considerations of those in power 'clinging' to their version of 'guns and religion' (read: copper and phone poles).

theemaster
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
And yes, NF is not the TOTAL solution, it's an 80% solution. Other rental sources bring it up to 98%. Then of course there are friends and family... and the occasional 'must have' disc available through commercial sources that some kind (and head screwed on straight) person posts properly.netflix is also 'losing' a ton of their content..

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/05/netflix-loses-1794-videos-from-its-streaming-catalog/

Nope file collecting remains the pure way to see blu-ray or sometimes crappy hacked HDTV encodes of movies/tv shows from amazon/iTunes (which aren't acquirable in HD any other way besides caps ;))

johhny
06-23-2013, 09:51 AM
i also recommend using 15% pars from now on.

06-23-2013, 01:38 PM

pointless, if it gets dmca'd everything will be gone, even the pars. 5% is more than enough for the average missing block, when your posts have lots of fuckups consider using a better/alternative server and uploader that can repost missing chunks.

Beck38
06-23-2013, 11:08 PM
pointless, if it gets dmca'd everything will be gone, even the pars. 5% is more than enough for the average missing block, when your posts have lots of fuckups consider using a better/alternative server and uploader that can repost missing chunks.

5% is a bit on the lean side; everything would have to be working just about perfectly (the upload, the posting server, the peering to the server you are using to d/l, and all the transmission.

I've ran into many postings where 5% isn't enough. And a certain percentage isn't the answer; if one figured that for a DVD9/6GB posting 20% was good to go, then smaller sizes (DVD5) would need to get more pars, whereas large postings (say BD25/50) would be okay with the 10%.

Don't skimp. Putting those extras bits in there cost one what, a few minutes in par generation and a few more in uploading, to make sure that the receiver on even a pretty poor server plant with wobbly transmission somewhere in the path can still get the thing several months/years later.

Again, why skimp?

DngrMs
06-24-2013, 12:57 AM

Too much.

Too little.

5% is a bit on the lean side; everything would have to be working just about perfectly (the upload, the posting server, the peering to the server you are using to d/l, and all the transmission.

I've ran into many postings where 5% isn't enough. And a certain percentage isn't the answer; if one figured that for a DVD9/6GB posting 20% was good to go, then smaller sizes (DVD5) would need to get more pars, whereas large postings (say BD25/50) would be okay with the 10%.

Don't skimp. Putting those extras bits in there cost one what, a few minutes in par generation and a few more in uploading, to make sure that the receiver on even a pretty poor server plant with wobbly transmission somewhere in the path can still get the thing several months/years later.

Again, why skimp?

Pretty much this.

Hypatia
06-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I would go not for % but for a number of complete parts of this particular collection par2 would be able to recover.
Say, 4-5 seems reasonable enough.

hopefulhero
07-09-2014, 07:06 PM

I am new over here and have gone over a lot of your posts with great interest. I've been finding it increasingly hard to find stuff over the past year and am very intrigued by what you say here. I've found a few hard to find TV shows by sheer luck through stumbling upon posters who scramble names. Could you please give me a few tips about how I may get better at searching for things? You suggest searching NFO content in this post and I've since tried it but not with much luck. Would LOVE to get a list of good posters and a link to your posts! Thanks!

Beck38
07-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Most 'tv shows' are posted pretty much 'in the clear', and the posters rely on 'quick grab' system for folks to get them before they get nailed.

Then again, most tv fare is pretty lame. Even what starts out as 'top quality' (the recent 'True Detective' on HBO is a good example) end up after x episodes as pulling a 'Twin Peaks' (which is exactly what happened with 'True Detective').

But I haven't seen any tv fare that uses any decent sort of obfuscation/encryption techniques, like I say they're mostly in it for the bucks and shove their content through pay-walled web sites or, like I said, through 'quick grab' systems, or both.

hopefulhero
07-10-2014, 07:20 AM
I've been looking for some of the better shows (True Detective being one of them and one which I unfortunately haven't been able to find) and, to be fair, there have been some pretty great ones over the last decade or so. Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire etc are typically hard to get but I've been able to find some of them after much effort. I'm also interested in movies. I asked you about posters, and your posts in particular, as you've made many references to how your posts continue to stay alive and I presume you know of others who've been able to stay ahead of the curve too. If you'd rather not divulge that here on the forum then would you mind sending me a PM about it? Maybe you could add the name under which you post along with a few other names if you'd like to keep your id secret! Thanks again and hope you will help me better navigate the world of NZBs.

piercerseth
07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
I asked you about posters, and your posts in particular, as you've made many references to how your posts continue to stay alive and I presume you know of others who've been able to stay ahead of the curve too. If you'd rather not divulge that here on the forum then would you mind sending me a PM about it? Maybe you could add the name under which you post along with a few other names if you'd like to keep your id secret!.

Welcome to the site. Don't you think it's a little presumptuous to ask a senior member those kinds of questions on your very first day? Relax, you lack PM privileges at this time anyway.

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Care to elaborate on your particular successes and failures on the subject? I'd love to hear your experiences.

megabyteme
07-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I asked you about posters, and your posts in particular, as you've made many references to how your posts continue to stay alive and I presume you know of others who've been able to stay ahead of the curve too. If you'd rather not divulge that here on the forum then would you mind sending me a PM about it? Maybe you could add the name under which you post along with a few other names if you'd like to keep your id secret!.

Welcome to the site. Don't you think it's a little presumptuous to ask a senior member those kinds of questions on your very first day?

http://i.imgur.com/TAC1aRX.jpg?1

hopefulhero
07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the site. Don't you think it's a little presumptuous to ask a senior member those kinds of questions on your very first day? Relax, you lack PM privileges at this time anyway.

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Care to elaborate on your particular successes and failures on the subject? I'd love to hear your experiences.

Sorry if I jumped the gun! I've been using Usenet for 2 to 3 years now and everything worked fine till about a year and a bit ago (sometime after the demise of Newzbin if I remember correctly), when a lot of downloads started failing. I then switched over to Tweaknews as my provider and everything worked fine for a while. I now use NZBIndex to look for things and with the correct search options (minimum file size, keeping an eye out for posters I know are reliable etc) I can get most things with Tweaknews. However, unlike two years ago when almost everything downloaded without an issue, I now need to stay on top of releases and get them before they go down. Some shows that I had my eye on for a while like The Sopranos, Game of Thrones and The Wire were extremely difficult to find (especially if you are particular about the quality; I like to get 720p BluRay) but I was able to find them eventually by playing around with the naming convention and trying out different search options on NZBIndex. At the moment I'm looking for True Detective, Boardwalk Empire and Season 4 of Mad Men, and, in the larger scheme of things, adding to my list of reliable posters. That being said, a lot of the fun is in the hunt, isn't it? :-)

Apologies for asking Beck38 to PM me. I misunderstood the PM privileges rule and was under the impression that n00bs couldn't send, but could receive, PMs.

megabyteme
07-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Some shows that I had my eye on for a while like The Sopranos, Game of Thrones and The Wire were extremely difficult to find (especially if you are particular about the quality; I like to get 720p BluRay) but I was able to find them eventually by playing around with the naming convention and trying out different search options on NZBIndex. At the moment I'm looking for True Detective, Boardwalk Empire and Season 4 of Mad Men, and, in the larger scheme of things, adding to my list of reliable posters.

Have you thought about subscribing to HBO? :unsure:

Beck38
07-10-2014, 01:39 PM
I might also add that these pay-tv offerings are all available in 'full-hd' (1080P, not the half-resolution/half-or poorer bitspace) by most for whatever reason, as opposed to simply getting the blurays off Netflix and processing them as you wish.

Certainly less expensive than paying the cable snakes a lump sum every month, for a large portion of lame programming, just to get a handful of down-rez (both video and audio) 'choices'.

hopefulhero
07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Some shows that I had my eye on for a while like The Sopranos, Game of Thrones and The Wire were extremely difficult to find (especially if you are particular about the quality; I like to get 720p BluRay) but I was able to find them eventually by playing around with the naming convention and trying out different search options on NZBIndex. At the moment I'm looking for True Detective, Boardwalk Empire and Season 4 of Mad Men, and, in the larger scheme of things, adding to my list of reliable posters.

Have you thought about subscribing to HBO? :unsure:

Haha. Yeah! I have subscribed to HBO but in my part of the world they don't have the same lineup as the US. The shows that make it are often delayed by a few months and, worse, go through the censors and so often have bits missing. Also, subscribers here don't get HBO Go.

Beck38
07-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Ah, okay, so you (your country, etc.) get all the benefits of living under the US nuclear umbrella without paying the cost (except perhaps the religious fanatics that really control it, an area in which the US is rapidly catching up in).

So you're basically left with what you can get. I'd say that you need to simply wait a bit of time, and things will eventually become available, keep looking. The folks doing the quickie postings (from stream grabbers and such) may be quick, low-res, and get whacked, but those who concentrate on quality (full disc postings) may be slower and only when those are released to the dvd/blu market, but they'll get there.

megabyteme
07-10-2014, 05:59 PM
You never fail to evoke unintentional laughs, Beck. Instead of ignoring, or denying this guy because he comes across as a narc, you reject his request because 'Merica is already doing enough for his country. :lol:

hopefulhero
07-10-2014, 06:55 PM
You never fail to evoke unintentional laughs, Beck. Instead of ignoring, or denying this guy because he comes across as a narc, you reject his request because 'Merica is already doing enough for his country. :lol:

I am amused that you think I'm a narc! Thought you were insinuating that with the Top Secret! reference (didn't get it but Googled the image of the cow) and the HBO suggestion. Ha ha. I guess it's not surprising looking back at my overly inquisitive posts and given that I've just joined. Note to self: be better at learning forum etiquette! Anyways, don't worry and I won't bother you guys anymore. Asked the questions as thought it fit to ask them here and was genuinely interested. Peace.

Ah, okay, so you (your country, etc.) get all the benefits of living under the US nuclear umbrella without paying the cost (except perhaps the religious fanatics that really control it, an area in which the US is rapidly catching up in).

I'm not sure that I find that particularly reassuring ;-)

chakara
07-10-2014, 06:58 PM

So you're basically left with what you can get. I'd say that you need to simply wait a bit of time, and things will eventually become available, keep looking. The folks doing the quickie postings (from stream grabbers and such) may be quick, low-res, and get whacked, but those who concentrate on quality (full disc postings) may be slower and only when those are released to the dvd/blu market, but they'll get there.

Entertainment for free.
Keep it up.

megabyteme
07-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I am amused that you think I'm a narc! Thought you were insinuating that with the Top Secret! reference (didn't get it but Googled the image of the cow) and the HBO suggestion. Ha ha. I guess it's not surprising looking back at my overly inquisitive posts and given that I've just joined. Note to self: be better at learning forum etiquette! Anyways, don't worry and I won't bother you guys anymore. Asked the questions as thought it fit to ask them here and was genuinely interested. Peace.

I was not trying to run you off. Yes, your questions were quite direct. Simply learn a bit of this forum's subtleties and I'm sure all of your questions can be answered. We, too, can be overly abrupt. :blushing: Your articulate style is very welcome over the many who feel txtspeak is acceptable everywhere. :)

hopefulhero
07-11-2014, 04:06 AM
I was not trying to run you off. Yes, your questions were quite direct. Simply learn a bit of this forum's subtleties and I'm sure all of your questions can be answered. We, too, can be overly abrupt. :blushing: Your articulate style is very welcome over the many who feel txtspeak is acceptable everywhere. :)

thx m8 ;-) Really glad to be here! As I'm sure are the guys who sent me. Just kidding!