PDA

View Full Version : ISP Data retention

anathema2013
05-18-2013, 08:07 AM
with the recent plans in UK regarding more in depth data retention seemingly delayed in the Queen's speech, I was curious to ask my ISP Three about their policy regarding what data they keep on their customers and whether they log IPs. I had been under the impression that ISP's keep data like this but seems I was wrong. it's good to see they seem to take customer privacy seriously. Have a look at this quote from an email I got back from Three. Any thoughts or knowledge to share?

'Just so you know, every time a customer connects to the internet via our network, a dynamic IP address is allocated for them hence, we cannot keep any record if particular user was online at a particular point in time on a particular IP. However, our billing system does keep a record of volume of data allowance used in particular session at any given interval.'

anon
05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
we cannot keep any record if particular user was online at a particular point in time on a particular IP

They can, as any other provider. It would just seem that in this particular case, they don't.