View Full Version : is usenet drying up?

reallysalt
06-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Maybe its just my imagination but binsearch seems like it has been letting me down more and more often lately.

I mean for the last 6 months compared with the last 5 years.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
binsearch & nzbindex(less than binsearch) comply with dmcas too you know.

pootystomp
06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Everything is still there, just not as easy to get to. I search popular groups and download the nfo to see what it is. Most new movies and some tv is coded.

Beck38
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Lots of stuff has moved to private/encrypted/for-pay websites. But a lot hasn't. There was a big rush a few months ago right about the time the old indexers gave up (mostly due to inability to transfer funds). The actual number of things that got pulled, even at Astraweb, was pretty thin, unless you lived for certain things like pro-wrestling or network programs that were easily gotten off very cheap subscriptions.

Personally, I find the drop in decent 'low cost' used movies at ebay in the last few months more distressing. Supposedly it's due to Amazon getting more aggressive in bringing in sellers but I've noticed that the average prices for things, even old, seems to have skyrocketed, and with ebay, less and less are actually in actions, more and more are 'buy it now' at inflated prices.

But I still find load of stuff on usenet, a lot of it either unobtainable in RegA or (as in the last paragraph) too **** expensive.

I might add that lots of posting folks aren't including an nfo at the time the files are uploaded, and may not have the same 'filename' as the actual binary files. You have to use your brainpower a bit to figure out the 'link' between the (plaintext or encrypted) nfo and the (plaintext or encrypted) binary files.

justlooking
06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
On one hand, it seems great for Usenet to be free and open for all, but on the other hand, private torrent sites have large groups of people who upload their entire collections, making torrents a huge repository of stuff that won't be available on Usenet unless there are more private, costly Usenet groups and sites. So basically Usenet will be similar to BitTorrent, private and public uploads with private having more files, certainly rarer stuff. Of course many of those end up leaking out to TPB and will happen on Usenet too.

DngrMs
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
The salient question is 'what can't you find'?

Pretty much every scene, P2P or public release is posted to Usenet at some point in some place.

What can't you find?

justlooking
06-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Pretty much every scene, P2P or public release is posted to Usenet at some point in some place.

What can't you find?

If you compare Usenet to private torrent sites, endless things . An example is a British show like Heir Hunters. All 7 seasons or close to it are available on British torrent sites, on Usenet about 1/2 a season 4 years ago. Sports uploads, be it games or ESPN type shows are sporadic compared to a sports torrent tracker. Big movie torrent sites have tens of thousands of movies you won't see on Usenet, unless there's a private group that has passwords and it's own site and charges $$ for the content they upload. Even something like Howard Stern on Demand dries up because the 1 guy who used to upload religiously is sick of the show or retires, and there's no one to replace him on a regular basis. Also Usenet is getting later and later for things, and some sports events showing up 12 hours late is bad, because by then you'll know the score. Some HD movies seem to be posted a day later than on a good torrent site, sometimes months later if ever.

k2bug
06-07-2013, 11:40 AM
The real difference between other sharing platforms and Usenet is and always will be that most all other platforms work together and share information in many forms to get to the widest audience. Usenet however and i have said this before is a kill or be killed mentality and communities are reluctant to cross share information. Whats brought attention to Usenet? GREED. Usenet is only accountable per head an extremely small % compared to all other platforms. Usenet has been this way for years and no as much as we all want change it will never change.

I agree with the above it takes a lot of brain power, knowledge and patience to get to the files you want. Usenet is no longer n00b friendly but only saving grace is most things appear eventually. Best advice i would give n00bs starting to use Usenet

1.Avoid most newznab clones as out of about 40/50 i have only 3/4 worth a visit.
2.Avoid sites that restrict files until they rifle through your wallet for what they get.
3.Use sites like FST that are free to use. There are only maybe 2 others like FST in forum form that look at you as a member not another wallet to empty.
4.Be aware that a few sites out there are owned by the same person and you could indeed end up paying if you choose the same person multiple times.
5.Well have fun doing it as Usenet can be fun as too are some of the characters you will come across.

Lastly Usenet is in transition with the take downs it has adjusted well but to the detriment of its user base. Patience is key here as its only been a few months and i have faith Usenet will bounce back in all its glory.

DngrMs
06-07-2013, 04:01 PM

What can't you find?

If you compare Usenet to private torrent sites, endless things . An example is a British show like Heir Hunters. All 7 seasons or close to it are available on British torrent sites, on Usenet about 1/2 a season 4 years ago. Sports uploads, be it games or ESPN type shows are sporadic compared to a sports torrent tracker. Big movie torrent sites have tens of thousands of movies you won't see on Usenet, unless there's a private group that has passwords and it's own site and charges $$ for the content they upload. Even something like Howard Stern on Demand dries up because the 1 guy who used to upload religiously is sick of the show or retires, and there's no one to replace him on a regular basis. Also Usenet is getting later and later for things, and some sports events showing up 12 hours late is bad, because by then you'll know the score. Some HD movies seem to be posted a day later than on a good torrent site, sometimes months later if ever.

:rolleyes:

Stop comparing the two, they're different. Usenet is NOT an archive, idiots that buy into retention believe it's an archive but it's not. Of course if you want old stuff it's going to be available more often on torrents than Usenet (irrespective of retention).

That's not the point.

What can't the OP find on Usenet that one would reasonably expect to be on Usenet? A blockbuster movie from 2010 or UFC #01 or a F1 race from 1994 are NOT likely candidates for Usenet (anymore). If you go looking for that type of stuff then you're better to spend your time on TPB, KAT or RUT. Alternatively learn how to REQ on Usenet... if you post in the right group you'll normally get the content you want within a few days.

Usenet and public torrent sites compliment one and other. Private torrent sites may have some obscure or old stuff but they're niche markets and I don't recommend anyone joins one unless they need to.

The real difference between other sharing platforms and Usenet is and always will be that most all other platforms work together and share information in many forms to get to the widest audience. Usenet however and i have said this before is a kill or be killed mentality and communities are reluctant to cross share information. Whats brought attention to Usenet? GREED. Usenet is only accountable per head an extremely small % compared to all other platforms. Usenet has been this way for years and no as much as we all want change it will never change.

I agree with the above it takes a lot of brain power, knowledge and patience to get to the files you want. Usenet is no longer n00b friendly but only saving grace is most things appear eventually.

N00b friendly is not, and should never be, an aspiration for Usenet. That goal is best left to layers above Usenet such as NZBMatrix was. That way when the gate closes the realm still exists. I have no sympathy for pirates that won't learn their trade properly and crying that they can't 'get their fix' because it's no longer being spoon fed to them doesn't endear me to then any further.

What can't you find on Usenet that you expect to find there?

Beck38
06-08-2013, 12:43 AM
If you compare Usenet to private torrent sites, endless things.

And therein lies the biggest difference between torrents and usenet; now, a lot of folks are trying their all to make usenet a 'private club' just like the majority of torrents, then again, you'll still be fighting the fact that most torrent folks don't keep Petabytes of material 'on-line' 24/7, which is really the biggest drawback to torrents. One may 'join' all the private trackers one can, and find all those 'gems' and such, only to find that x% of the way through the transfer, the 'host' machine out there drops off that particular 'net', and never returns.

Now, perhaps one can figure that's the equivalent of something getting DMCA'd on usenet; I'd say if it was, then the poster isn't watching very closely. With such programs as nzbcc, it's easy enough to keep an eye out.

user3240
06-08-2013, 08:02 AM

I agree with the above it takes a lot of brain power, knowledge and patience to get to the files you want. Usenet is no longer n00b friendly but only saving grace is most things appear eventually. Best advice i would give n00bs starting to use Usenet

1.Avoid most newznab clones as out of about 40/50 i have only 3/4 worth a visit.
2.Avoid sites that restrict files until they rifle through your wallet for what they get.
3.Use sites like FST that are free to use. There are only maybe 2 others like FST in forum form that look at you as a member not another wallet to empty.
4.Be aware that a few sites out there are owned by the same person and you could indeed end up paying if you choose the same person multiple times.
5.Well have fun doing it as Usenet can be fun as too are some of the characters you will come across.

Lastly Usenet is in transition with the take downs it has adjusted well but to the detriment of its user base. Patience is key here as its only been a few months and i have faith Usenet will bounce back in all its glory.

Your post should be required reading for everybody on Usenet. GREED and EGO has divided usenet. Even before the demise of the Matrix, usenet was divided in many ways. Almost all of the NZB groups started the same way. Somebody would get pissed off at an admin or moderator and start a new group. Some would stay loyal to the old group. Some would pledge loyalty to the new group. Some would try to stay in the middle. Some of these groups would try to have "exclusive" content. A few would even passcode their releases. It never works. There will always be people who feel that "pirate DRM" violates the spirit of Usenet. That means that people will always leak things in IRC or other groups. Unless you just have a small indexer shared between a few friends there is no such thing as a private group.

After the demise of the Matrix, a bunch of new newsnab sites opened up. Most of them thought that if they opened up an index site that the money would rain in. A few of them rename some of the encoded releases. None of them have all or even most of the encoded releases. Others are simply indexers. All of them will talk about their " enormous" server costs. Most of them try to get money out of you by promising you this pot of gold full of releases after they get your donation.

It was the Matrix itself that brought all kinds of unwanted attention to Usenet. Usenet has already bounced back. It's just taken on another form. There are places you can find the encoded releases. It does take more knowledge and patience.

Alien5
06-08-2013, 09:27 AM

Your post should be required reading for everybody on Usenet. GREED and EGO has divided usenet. Even before the demise of the Matrix, usenet was divided in many ways. Almost all of the NZB groups started the same way. Somebody would get pissed off at an admin or moderator and start a new group. Some would stay loyal to the old group. Some would pledge loyalty to the new group. Some would try to stay in the middle. Some of these groups would try to have "exclusive" content. A few would even passcode their releases. It never works. There will always be people who feel that "pirate DRM" violates the spirit of Usenet. That means that people will always leak things in IRC or other groups. Unless you just have a small indexer shared between a few friends there is no such thing as a private group.

After the demise of the Matrix, a bunch of new newsnab sites opened up. Most of them thought that if they opened up an index site that the money would rain in. A few of them rename some of the encoded releases. None of them have all or even most of the encoded releases. Others are simply indexers. All of them will talk about their " enormous" server costs. Most of them try to get money out of you by promising you this pot of gold full of releases after they get your donation.

It was the Matrix itself that brought all kinds of unwanted attention to Usenet. Usenet has already bounced back. It's just taken on another form. There are places you can find the encoded releases. It does take more knowledge and patience.

Tldr

savagestranger
06-08-2013, 12:39 PM
It's still as newb friendly as ever, with the right indexing sites. Some, but not all, require a small one time donation (big deal). It's great for fast downloads on HD stuff, but one would be wise to get a VPN service for use with torrents to "fill in the gaps"

piercerseth
06-08-2013, 01:38 PM
TldrEternal September (Reprise).

reallysalt
06-09-2013, 06:23 AM
now that newzbin is gone it isnt the same. there isnt any club to fill the void. you end up getting stung more often with crap passworded downloads.

I guess everyone is doing what i'm doing and going torrent with vpn because torrents have lots of user input and you know they're good downloads.

k2bug
06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
now that newzbin is gone it isnt the same. there isnt any club to fill the void. you end up getting stung more often with crap passworded downloads.

I guess everyone is doing what i'm doing and going torrent with vpn because torrents have lots of user input and you know they're good downloads.

Here lies the problem. People think and thought matrix and newzbin were the be all and end all for years but all it did was bring unwanted attention especially around the huge income both sites made then later denied.

There was and still is a few good sites that run along the big ones back then and now. With that said there is no longer one or two dominate sites anymore. If your getting stung by passwords then your in the wrong place. As in my last post stay away from the majority of the newznab clones and if you go forum based which there is only about4 or 5 credible ones and even in those small numbers 1 or 2 make outrages claims. For me when i join any site i judge it on how it is setup i.e is it pushed in your face at every angle to donate or restrictive sections again used to get into your wallet. You will find the more subtle sites that has no in your face fee's are sometimes the best but not always.

Look and you will find the very very few good sites out there. Just don't go believing the hype the pile on and stick around use the site for a short while see how its run then make an informed choice were is good and bad.

reallysalt
06-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Here lies the problem. People think and thought matrix and newzbin were the be all and end all for years but all it did was bring unwanted attention especially around the huge income both sites made then later denied.

There was and still is a few good sites that run along the big ones back then and now. With that said there is no longer one or two dominate sites anymore. If your getting stung by passwords then your in the wrong place. As in my last post stay away from the majority of the newznab clones and if you go forum based which there is only about4 or 5 credible ones and even in those small numbers 1 or 2 make outrages claims. For me when i join any site i judge it on how it is setup i.e is it pushed in your face at every angle to donate or restrictive sections again used to get into your wallet. You will find the more subtle sites that has no in your face fee's are sometimes the best but not always.

Look and you will find the very very few good sites out there. Just don't go believing the hype the pile on and stick around use the site for a short while see how its run then make an informed choice were is good and bad.

I tried looking all over for such a site after newzbin went down, alas. The free sites were all the same; automated listings based on binsearch with very little to no user input. There were a few invite-only sites i wanted to try but couldn't get one. I asked in here repeatedly in the appropriate section but just gave up after a while.

Can you recommend one of these good sites?

justlooking
06-09-2013, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=k2bug;3702866]

Can you recommend one of these good sites?

NZBGrabit appears to be open now. https://www.nzbgrabit.co.uk/register.php

k2bug
06-09-2013, 10:26 PM
I can't point you in any direction as last time i did this members from the above mentioned site tried to rip me a new one for having an opinion so i stay silent now and let people find out themselves. Just watch for sites baring false gifts and restrictions and exaggerated claims of expenses.

Keep you coin in your pocket and any site worth its salt will not harass you or beg you via email. Spend time to get to know a site or sites before jumping in at there requests for "cash".

reallysalt
06-10-2013, 01:54 AM
I can't point you in any direction as last time i did this members from the above mentioned site tried to rip me a new one for having an opinion so i stay silent now and let people find out themselves. Just watch for sites baring false gifts and restrictions and exaggerated claims of expenses.

Keep you coin in your pocket and any site worth its salt will not harass you or beg you via email. Spend time to get to know a site or sites before jumping in at there requests for "cash".

I will gladly accept a pm and i promise I won't rip you a new one. :)

Beck38
06-11-2013, 12:15 AM
One can have an opinion one way or the other, but at least if folks follow some basic rules in posting (or completely forget any that they might have learned or figured out over the past years), things might bi a little bit easier.

Twice this last week I tripped over nice, large (read: full rip HD's, >30GB+) where the pars posted were less than 1%, and the server they were posted to are considered the worst on usenet (read: some fly by night euro thing that must have one of the world's worst interconnections). Neither were encrypted in any way, but although they took several hours to d/l with my somewhat slow connection, took additionally twice that due to the lean parity numbers 'enhanced' by the poor source server.

So, yes, things have changed, but there are folks out there that have forgotten the basics, pure and simple. So things may have been degraded by all the encrypted trash out there, but again, forgetting the basics, makes things worse.

Sometwo
06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Are DMCA requests the same as it was when it first started? If I were to try to get Jack Reacher, or The Last Stand, or other recent popular movies, would they be DMCA'd by now?

MultiForce
06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Are DMCA requests the same as it was when it first started? If I were to try to get Jack Reacher, or The Last Stand, or other recent popular movies, would they be DMCA'd by now?

It all depends on which NSP you use.

Beck38
06-12-2013, 07:27 PM

Nope. They are both 'too new' (less than 30 days since Bluray release as of today) and a quick check on the good search sites show that there are a couple of the 'usual' encrypted euros trying to make money off them, but it's a bit too soon for any of the better uploaders (either full bd or most of the re-encoders) to get to either of them, although there are a couple that already have done 'quick jobs'.

And, of course, neither are p0rn (okay, some may classify that a bit differently), pro-wrestling, or low-rent network comedy (again, some may classify them differently!).

Add to that, Jack Reacher is an 'exclusive' title at Best Buy and Target (according to some info I have) so it's availability may be at this point a bit limited.

Again, WAIT for the good stuff. Their is already tons of the usual xvid and other 'low rent' rips and recodes of both, and as sure as they hit the maximum showings on the pay movie channels, their will be more.

Instantly saying that they will be DMCA'd is simply not true, they aren't in one of the categories I mentioned, and the 'qucikie' jobs haven't been that I can tell.

TheAce
06-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Keep you coin in your pocket and any site worth its salt will not harass you or beg you via email. Spend time to get to know a site or sites before jumping in at there requests for "cash".I am Admin at NZBGrabit, as you Know the trouble was what you were stating on that occasion was so far from the truth.
As any other site would you not expect us to correct any information which was wrong.

stan
06-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Ahem . The full 46 GB Euro Bluray of Jack Reacher has been available on torrent sites for 8 weeks. The 30 Gb remux has been available for as long. Now you are saying wait even longer for some crappy x 264. :whistling

justlooking
06-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Ahem . The full 46 GB Euro Bluray of Jack Reacher has been available on torrent sites for 8 weeks. The 30 Gb remux has been available for as long. Now you are saying wait even longer for some crappy x 264. :whistling

No one has to wait. I don't know what anybody is talking about. It's been there on Usenet for 8 weeks too.

Jack Reacher 2012 BluRay 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA7 1-CHD
Movies > BluRay 53.2d 48.02 GB

Jack Reacher 2012 COMPLETE BLURAY-PCH
Movies > BluRay 55.4d 46.25 GB

Jack Reacher -BD50
Movies > BluRay 48.9d 45.54 GB

Beck38
06-13-2013, 03:54 AM

No one has to wait. I don't know what anybody is talking about. It's been there on Usenet for 8 weeks too.

I'd call you on that, as in the 4-5 different raw indexers I monitor, that listing did not come up, although some of the folks recoding have listed it as the 'source'. You didn't list which newsgroup it was in, and there's a possibility that it's in one of the 'new' groups that have come out of the woodwork lately, and aren't being referenced yet by any of the prime indexing sites.

But really, as both are easily available by rental, it's a moot point.

CyberCitizen
06-13-2013, 04:18 AM
I downloaded this copy a while ago, it has been out for a while. Note sure if its DCMA'd now though at work, can't use the checker here.

SABnzbd has downloaded "Jack Reacher 2012 BDRip XviD-AMIABLE"
Finished at 2013-04-18 15:15:26
Downloaded 1.4 GB

savagestranger
06-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Do not waste 45+ gigs on that crap movie. :noes:

justlooking
06-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Usenet is becoming more and more complex. Some indexing sites showed it, some not. Some raw searches show, others don't. I never heard of the group until recently.

http://www.binsearch.info/viewNFO.php?oid=100484953&server=2

user3240
06-13-2013, 07:04 AM

And, of course, neither are p0rn (okay, some may classify that a bit differently), pro-wrestling, or low-rent network comedy (again, some may classify them differently!).

Can this guy go more than two posts without mentioning his dislike of "pro rasslin?" I don't care for it either, but Beck must be on some kind of a crusade.

Beck38
06-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Can this guy go more than two posts without mentioning his dislike of "pro rasslin?" I don't care for it either, but Beck must be on some kind of a crusade.

Yep, a crusade against mafia (yes, the real one, complete with Italian and Israeli surnames) as evidenced by the folks with extensive political and monied interests in the northeastern states of the US (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, eastern Pennsylvania), and who started (with their mobbed up law firms) and continue the current jihad.

It's easy to see from the other end of the continent. It's simply such a low bar of 'entertainment' it's always good for a bellyful of laughs that anyone over the age of 5 or 6 pays it any attention. But the folks running it need to eventually be brought to the bar of justice (i.e., have their own wing in the latest super-max).

chakara
06-14-2013, 01:19 PM

Nope. They are both 'too new' (less than 30 days since Bluray release as of today) and a quick check on the good search sites show that there are a couple of the 'usual' encrypted euros trying to make money off them, but it's a bit too soon for any of the better uploaders (either full bd or most of the re-encoders) to get to either of them, although there are a couple that already have done 'quick jobs'.

Add to that, Jack Reacher is an 'exclusive' title at Best Buy and Target (according to some info I have) so it's availability may be at this point a bit limited.

Again, WAIT for the good stuff. Their is already tons of the usual xvid and other 'low rent' rips and recodes of both, and as sure as they hit the maximum showings on the pay movie channels, their will be more.

Instantly saying that they will be DMCA'd is simply not true, they aren't in one of the categories I mentioned, and the 'qucikie' jobs haven't been that I can tell.

I dled the Last Stand weeks ago. One of the posts was DCMA'd btw.

DngrMs
06-15-2013, 11:13 AM
It seems as if binsearch has stopped indexing a.b.hdtv.x264 which is not a good sign. Any other obvious ones falling off the list?

piercerseth
06-15-2013, 11:42 AM
It seems as if binsearch has stopped indexing a.b.hdtv.x264 which is not a good sign. Any other obvious ones falling off the list?
Are you sure? I can still browse the group, and valid queries do return hits.

DngrMs
06-15-2013, 04:47 PM

No, I was evidently full of shit, they've promoted it to their primary server pool and my lazy arse didn't check that before I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

https://www.binsearch.info/browse.php?bg=alt.binaries.hdtv.x264&server=2

No longer works, but

https://www.binsearch.info/browse.php?bg=alt.binaries.hdtv.x264

Works just fine.

Beck38
06-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Binsearch always has been a bit odd in the way they've split their database into 'popular' and 'others' groupings.

Several folks/groups of folks are thinking they can avoid DMCA's by starting up new groups with weird names, but what it really does is 'hide' their postings from the search engines, until they 'add' that group to their schema; it may depend on how that is added, either automatically or manually.

Which is all why it's always a good idea, when searching for something, that one uses several index sites and not rely on just one or two.

Admiral_Crunch
06-16-2013, 03:03 PM

No, I was evidently full of shit, they've promoted it to their primary server pool and my lazy arse didn't check that before I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Heh. I do that kind of thing all the time. I think it's congenital...

piercerseth
06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
a.b.e-book.technical is going to 'dry up' as it were, while rockhound takes a (hopefully) short hiatus. I'm sure his/her acolytes will more than handle reposts until that time. Only real drama as of late.

justlooking
06-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Which is all why it's always a good idea, when searching for something, that one uses several index sites and not rely on just one or two.

Free newsreader with 3 index sites in it's search.

http://www.ideosi.fr/solutions_eng.php

piercerseth
06-17-2013, 01:46 AM

Free newsreader with 3 index sites in it's search.

http://www.ideosi.fr/solutions_eng.php

https://www.nzbclub.com (https://www.nzbclub.com) has been supplanting binsearch more and more as of late when I need to look up something quick and dirty. Otherwise, it's just raw headers and a predb for the most part.

ng4ever
06-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Nope it sure is not I been getting everything perfectly fine even DMCA content. Just give me a example .nzb that is DMCA and I bet I can get it.

moomin
06-25-2013, 01:05 AM
could you share how?

PastTense
06-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Moomin: One point is that people keep reposting material. So the reposted material is up until a new DMCA is issued.

Blastspawn
06-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Everything is still online! There is really nothing I haven't been able to find.. Minus the hbo show vice at first but I figured that out.. Its all about having a list of good indexer sites.. My ability to find anything and everything on usenet has not changed.. And my provider is usenetservers.

could you share how?

With these indexers you will hardly need to go anywhere else.

www.nzbroyalty.com - is great for movies and shows.. Also has a good software selection.. Great indexer
www.omgwtfnzbs.org - probably the best indexer I know of.. Has everything and I feel the safest/cleanest software downloads.
www.kleverig.eu - The only porn indexer you'll ever need

www.binsearch.info and www.nzbindex.nl - for specific searches.. Can be used to find anything but I mainly use it to find specific things like mp3s and such.

cardboardbox
06-29-2013, 04:35 PM
With these indexers you will hardly need to go anywhere else.

www.nzbroyalty.com - is great for movies and shows.. Also has a good software selection.. Great indexer
www.omgwtfnzbs.org - probably the best indexer I know of.. Has everything and I feel the safest/cleanest software downloads.
everything good is invite only. :(

Caballero
01-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Nope it sure is not I been getting everything perfectly fine even DMCA content. Just give me a example .nzb that is DMCA and I bet I can get it.

I accept the challenge. :)

It took me almost six months to find a copy of Quicken Premier 2014 (*not* the Home & Business version, and not Deluxe, just "regular" Premier). Eventually I found it on one of those one-click file hosters, but to this day I have not seen a posting in the newsgroups.

Go do your magic.

Lesiunta
01-19-2014, 09:27 PM
The good ol days of nzbmatrix are gone.

eNiX_007
01-20-2014, 01:36 AM
i have noticed this, hopefully it doesn't last very long, i have a few friends who are slowly turning away but i still like to dl over night and watch whenever i want even if the connection goes down (no need to stream)

Captnhook
01-20-2014, 01:50 AM
To answer the OP original question .. No it's not drying up.
Things have certainly changed and it's become more of a challenge but Usenet is here forever as long me fellow pirates be sailing the internets and keeping things real.
I admit retention isn't as great it used to be (ah the good ol days ceratinly were very good indeed) but if you want something today grab it quick or know of a good news server outside the reach of DMCA takedowns.

The good ol days of nzbmatrix are gone.

Part of the problem with take down notifications is the attention nzb indexing have brought to usenet.
Before it took some work and know how to get your binaries but now it's automated and easy and on the radar screen of the MPAA/RIAA
So NZBs are sort of a blessing and a curse at the same time.

HHH
01-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Haven't missed a beat here.

newz97
01-20-2014, 03:26 AM
It depends on the provider, seems to be a growing need to have more than one provider as time goes by. Take down notices are going to usenet now to and some get more than others, or do it quicker at least.

davidchu234
01-20-2014, 03:44 AM
Is it just me or does it seem harder and harder to manually find NZBs, that are either not scrambled code names so you don't know what they are, or their password protected. Is theses posts just for special private groups that list the pw(s) or something?

bumblebsticker
01-20-2014, 03:52 AM
It is not just you. It is harder and harder to manually find NZBs - and mostly not worth the effort. I tried to keep up when the DMCA's really kicked up in Dec 12/Jan 13 and was not able to do it without searching constantly through different newsgroups and not knowing when things were going to be released.

wai
01-20-2014, 03:53 AM
I haven't had many problems finding things but still have to find other ways get certain files.

MasterBrowser
01-20-2014, 03:55 AM
@bumblebsticker
Sometimes these posts are just people trying to get you to their website to either generate more clicks (more clicks = more money) by making you jump through hoops, get spyware/malware installed on your machine, or just like you said, some private groups that want you to "sign-up" (for a fee of course) so you can get the password. So this (although I don't agree with but ) I understand.

What I've yet to understand is why so many groups like to rar their subtitle files inside the rar collection of the movie. It's not like they're saving any extra space. I don't get that.

piercerseth
01-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Is it just me or does it seem harder and harder to manually find NZBs, that are either not scrambled code names so you don't know what they are, or their password protected. Is theses posts just for special private groups that list the pw(s) or something?

No, it's not just you. NewzNab and automated indexing had a big hand in where we're at now. NZBs themselves too. You distill something down so as to make it so stupid simple/easy/convenient. Think of where usenet was 10 years ago, and look at how turn-key it's become.

frinky1
01-20-2014, 04:35 AM
That's the mixed blessing of making usenet easier to use - more people hop into the pool, which in turns, draws more attention to usenet.

Raxitoriux
01-20-2014, 04:39 AM
I think it depends on the provider, astraweb has an automated DMCA removal process which is why a lot of things go missing on their service. I've found tweaknews to work okay though.

morpheousbung
01-20-2014, 05:49 AM
My problem is that so much junks on newsgroups that you have to figure out which one to get is a pain in the behind

Beck38
01-20-2014, 06:18 AM
I think it depends on the provider, astraweb has an automated DMCA removal process which is why a lot of things go missing on their service. I've found tweaknews to work okay though.

I've been on Astra/US as my 'primary' provider for almost a decade (probably close to a petabyte transferred at this point), and have yet to hit anything of interest that has been. If of course you're talking about 'pro-wrestling' (controlled by organized crime in the US) and junk TV (close to 100% eventually available on Netflix), you may have a point.

My problem is that so much junks on newsgroups that you have to figure out which one to get is a pain in the behind

If by 'junk' you mean all the scrambled naming and encrypted rar's, you have a partial point. But you'd be surprised at how much is identifiable by the judicious use of 'the google'. Then again, there still is, at this point in time, quite a lot that is fully 'in the clear' (no scrambled names and no encryption used) and I have yet to hit any of it that's been targeted, again, if one isn't interested in the categories I mentioned in the above paragraph.

elynae
01-20-2014, 09:07 AM
I hope we never see that day come (if it's not the end of the internet)

olte71
01-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Not sure is drying up but for sure it leaves in the instant. More and more difficult to find complete archive of all stuff. Had to dowload Termintaor 2 by torrent as all arhcivees were incomplete:sick:

zealot
01-20-2014, 12:26 PM
The important thing is to check every day, but apart from that business as usual.

An0ther
01-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Most everything is there, it is just harder to find it these days

dbio
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
It really all depends. I'm getting something from 453 days ago, every piece but 1 has had missing segments, but the PARs are enough to reconstruct.

Statler6
01-20-2014, 01:27 PM
I don't think Usenet is drying up soon. I still can find all actual TV series and movies.

h3xnan
01-20-2014, 03:53 PM
also depends on your Usenet server

bbock727
01-20-2014, 04:00 PM
If you have good sources, usenet works just fine.

spleener
01-20-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm able to find 90% of what I'm looking for -- still seems to be going strong.

geojetson
01-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Like everyone else, I've noticed that just about everything is posted with a strange name now days. You pretty much have to use a NZB indexer to find things anymore.

phyl0x
01-20-2014, 06:11 PM
been using astraweb without issue lately, was getting lots of dcma's for a bit, but havnet ran into many lately.

miker1102
01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Looking closely usually pays off.

rikster01
01-20-2014, 07:02 PM
As has been said above, things are still around, its just taking a bit longer to find as compared to before.

MrBogus
01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
I think search engines like binsearch and the like really has made our life harder, when the were supposed to have the opposite effect. I think everything is harder to get now because the industry is more active to bring things down, including filesharers not only usenet.

Milenko
01-20-2014, 07:59 PM
I think search engines like binsearch and the like really has made our life harder, when the were supposed to have the opposite effect. I think everything is harder to get now because the industry is more active to bring things down, including filesharers not only usenet.

Agreed. If you make things too easy, it opens everything up to greater risk and swifter takedowns.

andersssson
01-20-2014, 08:55 PM
i think is been more difficult lately to find what your looking for, some new movirs and games are either incomplete or just cant dl them, would say 20% of the content im looking for isnt there

cnj411
01-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Its getting tougher but you have to stay up on where to look

zepherus
01-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Easynews is still pretty good