PDA

View Full Version : 20-week Ban on Abortion Passes US House

megabyteme
06-20-2013, 08:55 PM
House Passes 20-Week Abortion Ban

June 18, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: 212-549-2666, [email protected] ([email protected])
WASHINGTON — The U.S. House of Representatives today passed the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which would ban all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. The White House has threatened to veto the legislation.
"A woman shouldn't be denied basic health care or the ability to make the best decision for her family just because some members of Congress want to impose their political views on her decision," said Laura W. Murphy, director of the American Civil Liberties Union Washington Legislative Office. "Today's vote is part of a wave of ever-more extreme legislation in the states and in Congress that interferes with a woman's ability to make personal and private medical decisions. This ban shamefully plays politics with women's health and has no place in our laws."
The federal ban came under fire last week when Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) asserted that "the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low" during debate on the bill. Franks is an original sponsor of the bill.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit recently struck down a similar Arizona law that would ban almost all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. The law was challenged by the ACLU, the ACLU of Arizona, and the Center for Reproductive Rights on behalf of three physicians and their patients.

I have to side with Franks since none of the women I've raped have gotten pregnant. Granted, I drowned them shortly afterwards, so maybe my data is skewed slightly... :idunno:

mjmacky
06-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Forget the veto, does this thing even have a chance to get through the Senate? I know both houses are incompetent, but the HoR has the Senate beat on number and weighted percentage of crazies.

megabyteme
06-21-2013, 05:07 PM
It is obviously being done to help galvanize the right against anyone who vetoes. Politics, FTW!

Skiz
06-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Forget the veto, does this thing even have a chance to get through the Senate?

Not really. The House voted and passed it just to say they did it. The Senate has already stated that they won't even bring it to vote, so it's essentially being ignored. More wasted time and money...

whatcdfan
07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
The concept is kinda semi-correct thus basically wrong. The protection should be aimed from day one of the pregnancy or NOT AT ALL. I just can't swallow this targeted half tenure protection system.

The people who don't want to be pregnant or can't take the responsibility, shouldn't be allowed in the situations, where they could get pregnant, AT ALL.

Hypocrite nation, hypocrite approach.

Snee
07-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah, let's lock up the women-folk hurr durr.