PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb vs newsdemon?

rocky12
06-21-2013, 04:18 PM
What does everyone prefer for a news server? Astraweb vs newsdemon or neither? If someone says neither then please specify which server of choice.

delboy13
06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
depends where you based i reakon im in europe so using a dutch provider

rocky12
06-21-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm from the USA.

06-21-2013, 04:56 PM
astra with a backup block from tweak (you get a 250GB/11$ offer after the trial)

rocky12
06-21-2013, 05:57 PM
astra with a backup block from tweak (you get a 250GB/11$ offer after the trial)

Thank you!

nntpjunkie
06-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Niether. I move around a lot these days, but I am using Newshosting with a filler account from Eweka and so far the combo has been very good :-)

res0r9lm
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Newsdemon and Astraweb are the only 2 I have used. I like Astraweb better

piercerseth
06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Newsdemon is a UNS/Highwinds reseller, so I'd take Astra.

Beck38
04-10-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm from the USA.

Even saying that, it depends on 'where' in the US. If you're on the east coast, and are interested in the fastest possible speed, some server based in Virginia/DC with a eu/dutch fills may work best, if you can easily navigate the payment to that supplier, and finding that 'crawling the continent' to get to Astra/US or Giganews (setting aside the cost issue), both of which are in California (SJ and LA) hampers one speed wise.

However, if one is on the west coast, Astra/US is a prime candidate and a US based (east coast) fills (like Blocknews) may be just about as slow and 'crossing the pond' to get a EU/Dutch secondary or third supplier, as either may be just about as slow (but the eu/dutch provider may be 'slow on the uptick' if trying to dodge takedowns.

In short, finding a good mix is heavily dependent on what you are trying to accomplish, what kind of speed your are 'expecting', and all kinds of 'local' and/or ISP problems you may encounter. All you can do is some due diligence in finding/figuring out those particulars, although as piercerseth says, keep in mind there are some suppliers that have such a general bad reputation that don't get trapped into a long-term relationship with them (i.e., stick to block accounts if you want to try them out for some reason).

Although some would put Astra (US or EU) into that category. But they do have block accounts if your skittish.

usersname
04-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Seriously, you couldn't do a search, you'd have found a million threads on this already!

More repeats over at reddit/usenet