PDA

View Full Version : Windows Which factory-installed Software can I safely get rid of?

The Flying Cow
06-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Toshiba Z930 Ultrabook.

However, this laptop has no disc drive and I cannot buy Windows 7 from the online store or physical stores in my country anymore.

Using Windows 8, even with Pokki, which adds a start button with a start menu as in times of old, still seems like a copout to the monopolistic tactics adopted by the Microsoft corporation giant whenever it unleashes a new OS these days, which most of the time means more time wasted with useless nonsense.

Anyway, for now I have submitted, since it doesn't seem feasible to use a pirated version of Windows 7 because of those updates and the connection to the internet, which probably makes for a cracked version to be a pain in the rear to use hassle-free (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The more pressing problem at hand is that of the amount of junk that has come preinstalled with this factory OS. I have tried the Toshiba forums but nobody has made a thread about this particular laptop.

On the offchance that someone here has this laptop or has a Toshiba with similar bloatware I'll write up a list here of the software that's on the lappie and see if any of you can help me decide with apps are useless and I can safely remove with PC Decrapifier and which are essential for the smooth functioning of my drivers and devices.

In the meantime if anyone has a solid suggestion for a way to revert back to Windows 7 without further trauma I'm more than open to it.

Here are the programs:

Intel AppUp Center
Intel Management Engine Components
Intel Network Connections Drivers
Intel Processor Graphics
Intel Rapid Start Technology
Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Intel SDK for OpenCL - CPU Only Runtime Package
Intel WiDi
Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software
McAfee Anti-Theft
McAfee Internet Security
Microsoft Office
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable
Nero 12 Essentials Toshiba
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
RICOH Media Driver
SRS Premium Sound Control Panel
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Toshiba Desktop Assist
Toshiba Eco Utility
Toshiba Function Key
Toshiba Manuals
Toshiba Password Utility
Toshiba PC Health Monitor
Toshiba Recovery Media Creator
Toshiba Resolution + Plug-in for Windows Media Player
Toshiba Service Station
Toshiba System Driver
Toshiba System Settings
Toshiba Tempro
Wild Tangent Games

TIA people.

anon
06-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Anyway, for now I have submitted, since it doesn't seem feasible to use a pirated version of Windows 7 because of those updates and the connection to the internet, which probably makes for a cracked version to be a pain in the rear to use hassle-free (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Activating a pirate Windows 7 is pretty easy. Just use DAZ's Loader or KMSPico if you have a 64-bit system.

I wouldn't bother trying to "decrapify" the computer. Just download an image for the OS of your choice, make a bootable USB drive from it, format and reinstall. However, some of these utilities are necessary for basic functions (like making the Fn keys work) and can be tough to find online, since they're not offered as a download. I'd research the status on that first (I managed to find my netbook's Intel software on an offshore site that's no longer available). And whatever you do, make a disk image of the laptop beforehand. That way you can run all the experiments you want and then return to a functional status.

The Flying Cow
06-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the helpful reply anon.

Which version of Windows 7 do you advise? I was thinking of the Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 en-US Pre-Activated May2013 but maybe a clean ISO without additives would be best (and then I'd apply the KMS patch myself). That last option would mean I wouldn't have access to any of the Windows updates (or these wouldn't come preinstalled, which is what this pre-activated May 2013 version seems to include).

Maybe none of the updates are of use anyway.

helppo
06-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I have used PC Decrapifier for my new laptops;
http://pcdecrapifier.com/

anon
06-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Microsoft.Windows.7.SP1.x64-LiTE8 2013

It comes with no preinstalled activator or updates, so you can apply the ones you wish in both regards (it's fully updateable). The blog where you'll find it also has other custom Windows releases and further information about bypassing activation.

tesco
06-23-2013, 11:37 PM
I would switch to windows 7, pirated is easy to crack as has been said. You could also try Ubuntu assuming you don't rely on any programs that are windows-only.

If you choose to stick with windows 8, it doesn't look like there's that much junk on the laptop.
Keep the things with Intel, Driver, Toshiba, or Visual C++ in their name; the rest is safe to remove.
As for the stuff with toshiba, go through them one by one to see if anything looks useful but I bet most of it is safe to remove as well.