PDA

View Full Version : so totaly lost on seedbox/VPS/dedicated

jbates58
07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Hi all

im looing at setting up a vps/dedicated server for using torrents and usenet.

What would be my best options? i have looked at the kimsufi(sp) and the feral hosting, but i am unsure if thats what i need. i think it is.

i want to use it to run

torrents (whatever program is best and lowest resources)
Sabnzb
couch potato
SickBeard
Headphones
possibly Newzanb (depending on available resources)
possibly a vpn for myself and my friend who might be going halves in it

i think i will need about 2-4GB ram(possibly more for newznab) to get all the usenet and torrent automation software running smoothly. and i would lie around 500-1TB storage, as i will use SFTP and log in and download them to my system. but am willing to go for less storage if i can get ubuntu (as i can use rsync, and push that to my home based online nas, i think; is that correct?)

I also know very little about linux, but i am able to setup and run these programs, as i have set up my current downloader quite a few times and kinda now what im doing, but failing that, there is google or IRC :)

I am also going to ask a mate if he is interested in going halves with me in it, and if we do that, i will set up seperate log-ins and am i able to use r sync to sync the downloaded data to both of our NAS boxes (i think i ncan by just adding both addresses into the rsync command)?

Also, what ind of upload traffic would i be needing p/m? i have no idea what is heaps, and what isnt. obviously if we only have a 500-1TB storage, and in aus the internet plans are shi7, i only have 100gb/Month. my friend is on unlimited, but dosent live localy, so a bit of a pain for me to constantly be going to his house and syncing my computer to his. but as i would like to get a good torrent ratio, and possibly run a usenet indexer (will only have 5-10 accounts for some close friends) i dont know what is a decent upload P/M.

so, knowing what i want, what is the best option for my needs?

Cheers

Jason

absent_today
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
FeralHosting if you are lazy but wanted yourself to upload traffic.

KimSufi setup would require some efforts from your side but there are scripts which automates the entire setup, but there would be no support from Kimsufi on software.

FeralHosting if you are lazy but wanted yourself to upload traffic.

KimSufi setup would require some efforts from your side but there are scripts which automates the entire setup, but there would be no support from Kimsufi on software.K

FeralHosting wont allow install of SickBeard , Couch Potato and Headphones

jbates58
07-04-2013, 02:28 PM
ok. well the work on my behalf im fine with. and if i can install the usenet software on the kimsufi it sounds like a winner. what about bandwidth and storage requirements?

cheers

jason

absent_today
07-05-2013, 01:27 AM
You can refer here

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

jbates58
07-05-2013, 06:53 AM
i understand the plans and stuff, nad what the specs are. but i am unsure of what sort of limits i would need. what sort of space would i need for an indexer? at a guess, as i know it is determined by alotof other factors. and what about backwidth? as i cant see limitsmentioned on the kimsufi, i presume that there are none.

cheers

Jason

stan
07-05-2013, 01:17 PM
i understand the plans and stuff, nad what the specs are. but i am unsure of what sort of limits i would need. what sort of space would i need for an indexer? at a guess, as i know it is determined by alotof other factors. and what about backwidth? as i cant see limitsmentioned on the kimsufi, i presume that there are none.

cheers

Jason

click on SLA Best Effort... on http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

jbates58
07-16-2013, 06:54 AM
ok, quick question.

is it worth all the effort to get a kimsufi and do it all anon?

like using a pre-paid visa, paid with cash, and then using tor to appear in france etc...?

as when i connect to it to gtp the files from it to my home computer, wont my ip be revealed, and then my identity?

cheers

Jason

absent_today
07-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Use sftp if you want more security

https://portal.obtrix.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=114

jbates58
07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
hi all

ok, i have pruchased a 4g kimsufi, and after many failed installs and re-formats and ubuntu installs (realy wish i know more about it) i think i have finaly got it sorted. i finaly got u torrent going.

and i have changed all the ports etc...

BUT

how can i check that i have the SFTP set up correctly? i can connect through ftp. but the connection isnt encrypted. (i think, if i understand it correctly) but i can use SFTP which uses ssh to encrypt the tunel. just wanting to know how i can check it?

cheers

Jason

absent_today
07-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Check /etc/ssh/sshd_config and see whether these entries exists or not

Match Group [putyournonrootusername]
ChrootDirectory [whateverdirectory you want to share]
ForceCommand internal-sftp

Then re-start ssh service

service ssh restart