PDA

View Full Version : Newsreader is uploading while I download!

ironmanDD
07-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I've noticed the last few months my UPLOAD bandwidth has been quite high, considering I don't upload anything...
I use Grabit as my Newsreader... and I average around 300-400gb usage per month
I've installed a bandwidth monitor, and have noticed that while I'm downloading articles with Grabit, my upload usage also climbs considerably...
For every 1gb I download, I'm uploading roughly 10mb
If you calculate that over 400gb downloading, that's 4gb uploading! Which is where I currently am when I check my isp site usage
Anyone have any idea if this is normal, and how so much is being uploaded and why? (The heightened uploading only occurs when using Grabit while downloading)

Thanks

justlooking
07-06-2013, 11:20 PM
To stay connected to a server, there's some activity from you to them. It's not uploading data, but just keeping the connection alive. The more connections you use, the greater the bandwidth used.

TechSono
07-15-2013, 12:33 AM
The client has to send commands to the server to request posts. I don't know how much traffic it should amount to, but your numbers do seem a bit high. You could test with another client like SuperNZB. Theoretically, both programs should have identical upload traffic when measured with the same NZB file. It's important to use the same NZB file because the length of message-IDs varies from NZB to NZB.

St0ry
07-16-2013, 05:15 AM
Sounds about right to me. For reference, yesterday I downloaded 190GB and uploaded 2GB.

alferret
07-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Packet acknowledgements, dont matter what you do online your pc sends an "ack" to the server before it sends next packet(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acknowledgement_%28data_networks%29

hogfish
07-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Packet acknowledgements, dont matter what you do online your pc sends an "ack" to the server before it sends next packet(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acknowledgement_%28data_networks%29

TCP ACKs are not generally counted at the application level; the kernel of your OS manages the TCP stack and will be responsible for packet retry if the ACK is not received. NNTP operates at the protocol (P in NNTP), which is higher on the network stack than TCP. It is an interactive protocol between the client and server, and the client has to negotiate the connection type and capabilities, request articles, etc. from the server. That's what this upload traffic is.