PDA

View Full Version : Blu ray regions Help!!!

donniex
07-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey everyone.

This is probably a complete noob question. I have DL'd a few complete Blu-rays and when i go to burn them sometimes they play and sometimes they don't. I figure
it's the region they are meant to be played in causing the issue. I know there's Regions A, B, C. I need region A, but i can't tell in the info which is which.
Am i missing something or is it luck of the draw? Just need some help.

Thank you.

Also wanted to say that this is a great site :D
I'm very happy to be part of the community.

Beck38
07-11-2013, 02:32 AM
IF the rip(ping) program has correctly done it's job, then the Region (Reg) will have been 'stripped out', usually. There are lots of disc in which the region is 'locked' and isn't removed by one or another or the ripping programs.

A better question would be, WHY are you burning the discs? Especially the BD50's, very expensive. If you are 'remuxing' them (strip out un-needed audio's, unwanted 'extras' and such) then burning to BD25's is the way to go, IF you aren't recoding the things. A good 33+% of movies can be 'reduced' to BD25 size by remuxing, and/or moving the extras (again, if wanted) to an additional disc (DVD5 or BD25).

But there are LOTS of decently recoded stuff out there, without jumping through the silly encrypted nonsense.

But it all may depend on what you're actually trying to do, and the decrypt program that was used. I burn nothing but BD25's (very inexpensive, actually cheaper than DVD9's in bulk; <90cents ea inkjet printable) and recode things larger to 'size them down'.

Best site to 'check' bluray specs (including region settings) is http://www.blu-ray.com with RegA specifics. There are decent Euro sites as well.

donniex
07-11-2013, 10:09 PM
I shrink them to bd-25's. I don't mind that.
Thank you for the response. :D
I will look into this more.

Beck38
07-12-2013, 02:36 AM
I'll 'assume' that by 'shrink' you're using one of the 'quickie' processing apps included in some of the decrypter programs out there. You really ought to look into one of the better actual recoders (MeGUI/Handbrake et.al.), if you have of course the machine power at your disposal.

voodu
07-13-2013, 04:02 PM
I'll 'assume' that by 'shrink' you're using one of the 'quickie' processing apps included in some of the decrypter programs out there. You really ought to look into one of the better actual recoders (MeGUI/Handbrake et.al.), if you have of course the machine power at your disposal.
Agreed; you stand to lose a lot of quality if you re-encode using poor settings. For me the point of downloading full BD is to get 'untouched' video quality.

Beck38
07-13-2013, 10:39 PM
With the current pricing of BD50's (around $4-4.50 or so inket printables) then ti's pretty 'cheap' burning, right around the same as for RAID5 disc storage on a large NAS box. So far, I haven't seen a program that will process blurays like DVDRemake does for SD/DVD's, to rip out all the 'crap' and such, but one can 'remux' as I pointed out IF you have a good playback box that will play the result (either m2ts or mkv if you go that route). Again, a good percentage will result in something lower than BD25 sizing without recoding or 'shinking'.

But I do retain a fair number of 'full bandwidth' BD50's on my NAS, but long movies I can usually 'split' with tsmuxr into 2/bd25's particularly if it is one of the older 'roadshow' films with actual 'intermission' pause of one type or another, or if I can find a 'natural' point at which to split it.

tommy98
11-22-2015, 04:24 PM
It's funny with all the info that is available with people's posts that the one thing that's neglected a lot of the time is the region. I've run into this same thing. One thing you can do is play test the the video stream using vlc media player to try to figure out which region you have. If you look in the bdmv/ stream folder you can take a look at some of the menus and try to determine it.

shaina
11-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Agreed; you stand to lose a lot of quality if you re-encode using poor settings. For me the point of downloading full BD is to get 'untouched' video quality.

I agree but if it is not a Acton filled movie, why waste 20-50gigs of drive space ?? And doing some research... The sound file is huge on a true BD rip, and that is where the big loss is re-encoding it, but before you bite my head off, there is some loss in picture as well...
But if there is not a big amount of action in the movie, I really don't see the point of wasting that much hard drive space for streaming..
As for a Blu ray Player/Movie ?? I haven't used one in years... And all the same i would purchase one that streams files over a network or you can attach a hard drive and has Netflx and NHL center ice etc.., having to put movies/tv shows in machine all the time and having them all over the house would drive me nuts!!
Better to look into a streaming player and a hard drive, and have fun loading the hard drive up..
And True BD rips are usually a TS file extension right??

It's funny with all the info that is available with people's posts that the one thing that's neglected a lot of the time is the region. I've run into this same thing. One thing you can do is play test the the video stream using vlc media player to try to figure out which region you have. If you look in the bdmv/ stream folder you can take a look at some of the menus and try to determine it.

I really think most people have gone to streaming be it online or eternal, and i have never run into a problem with region issues. On a few streaming machines you will get that Cinavia crap, but not region..

tommy98
11-25-2015, 12:26 AM

I agree but if it is not a Acton filled movie, why waste 20-50gigs of drive space ?? And doing some research... The sound file is huge on a true BD rip, and that is where the big loss is re-encoding it, but before you bite my head off, there is some loss in picture as well...
But if there is not a big amount of action in the movie, I really don't see the point of wasting that much hard drive space for streaming..
As for a Blu ray Player/Movie ?? I haven't used one in years... And all the same i would purchase one that streams files over a network or you can attach a hard drive and has Netflx and NHL center ice etc.., having to put movies/tv shows in machine all the time and having them all over the house would drive me nuts!!
Better to look into a streaming player and a hard drive, and have fun loading the hard drive up..
And True BD rips are usually a TS file extension right??

I really think most people have gone to streaming be it online or eternal, and i have never run into a problem with region issues. On a few streaming machines you will get that Cinavia crap, but not region..

Streaming is definitely the wave of the future. If you want the popular new releases that's fine. If you want some older, more obscure stuff it's a problem.

shaina
11-25-2015, 03:29 AM
Streaming is definitely the wave of the future. If you want the popular new releases that's fine. If you want some older, more obscure stuff it's a problem.

Do you have any examples that you can't get on Usenet or torrents Today?? That would be interesting to know??
And by meaning can't find Movies? TV shows? or Documentaries ?

Again when i did say streaming, it was not meant to be live only, even a person with little skills on pc's or none are finding ways, be it friends or purchasing files from people to stream on there own hard drives in there homes (I am one, but i never charge anyone, i do it for a lot of friends and relatives that do like older shows or movies, or PPV stuff they don't subscribe too)...

I say this because i have had some weird request in the past (can't remember off the top of my head), and it may have taken some searching and a good Usenet provider (i would agree on some torrents, as there is no seeders anymore), but i don't think i have never not found a request that someone has given me..And i am not saying i have a magical way or better way for searching, for some reason sooner or later i find it.....

Shay

Beck38
11-25-2015, 11:33 PM
I started a thread in another forum on this board re: streaming boxes awhile back, and settled on the Roku4; all my premium channels plus netflix/hulu plus a lot of 'free to stream' places, but at the end of the day it all amounts to around 20-30% of the released movies (figure the sound era 1929 upwards) and a bit more (maybe 30-40%) of all the tv series, all with a heavy preponderance on the last 20 or so years.

BTW, for folks still subscribing to premium channels on cable/satellite, the amount and breath of streaming material available is MUCH greater on their 'Roku' apps than that 'available' to stream directly from the carrier; i.e., HBO-Go and such, so even if one is not looking (at present) to 'cord cut', it's worth it to get one of these cheap boxes and go to town streaming with one of these apps and get a lot better value out of your premium dollar.

But in short, of the close to 100TB of movies/tv shows I've processed in the last 20+ years, and have either on my local NAS or burned on either BD25's/DVD9's/DVD5's, around 95+% are not available on any streaming service/site, either through subscription (Netflix et. al.) or via pay-per-view.

So it's all got a LONG way to go yet. Not to say that one can stream for hours/days/weeks/months(?) at a time and go bonkers doing so.

Now on the 'cord cutting' side, the lack of 'live' streaming, if one thinks of replacing their cable/satellite subscription, has even further to go.

But, if one has access to a non-capped decent speed internet service, it's not bad.

tommy98
11-26-2015, 04:07 PM

Do you have any examples that you can't get on Usenet or torrents Today?? That would be interesting to know??
And by meaning can't find Movies? TV shows? or Documentaries ?

Again when i did say streaming, it was not meant to be live only, even a person with little skills on pc's or none are finding ways, be it friends or purchasing files from people to stream on there own hard drives in there homes (I am one, but i never charge anyone, i do it for a lot of friends and relatives that do like older shows or movies, or PPV stuff they don't subscribe too)...

I say this because i have had some weird request in the past (can't remember off the top of my head), and it may have taken some searching and a good Usenet provider (i would agree on some torrents, as there is no seeders anymore), but i don't think i have never not found a request that someone has given me..And i am not saying i have a magical way or better way for searching, for some reason sooner or later i find it.....

Shay
Hi shaina,
Yeah, one example is I was trying to find kino's release of Nosferatu in blu ray format. It's not something that lots of people are interested in so it's harder to find. Yes, there are versions of this film out there but this transfer is way above the rest. To be honest, I prefer usenet and don't use torrents.

shaina
11-27-2015, 12:33 AM
tommy98...
Did you find it??

Are you talking about this one?
NOSFERATU 1922 REMASTERED 1080P BLURAY X264-GHOULS
Is this the DVD version??
NOSFERATU 1922 SILENT DVDRIP XVID-ILC

It seemed someone else was a fan or it was requested (if that is the right one you wanted:unsure:), and i do know if you belong to a better NZB site, sooner or later someone will fill the request if you have one. One site i belong to they just don't search other uploaders and make the NZB for you to download, they also physically upload request if they have it or know someone that does and again upload it to help people what they are looking for...
And i agree with you, i am not a big fan of torrents either, it is usually my last resort..

tommy98
11-27-2015, 02:19 AM
That may be the one. I finally ended up ordering the blu-ray today for black friday week. Thanks though.

shaina
11-27-2015, 07:27 AM
That may be the one. I finally ended up ordering the blu-ray today for black friday week. Thanks though.

Again I don't know what other source you use for retrieving files (other NZB sites or if you do your own manual raw searches in all the binary groups, i am too old fat and lazy for that now:whistling), but if you have any requests to see if anything you want does or does not exist, just send me a pm and i will see if i can locate it for you, (keeps me busy :whistling) and if you do raw searches i can give you the Binary name at least to make the search easier..

Like i said server is the way to go today (unless you are collector of some sorts), or i would have thousands of disks all over the place :noes:

Shay

PS. My brother is a collector of old/vintage horror and suspense movies crap, and he has a bunch of original props in his apartment (really bloody creepy if you as me but to each there own i guess:fear: :crazy:)....

IdolEyes787
11-27-2015, 02:16 PM
I finally ended up ordering the blu-ray today for black friday week.

I'm probably the only person here who immediately recognized your avatar picture as Caroline Munro and even I'm not that stupid.:mellow:

tommy98
11-27-2015, 04:03 PM

Again I don't know what other source you use for retrieving files (other NZB sites or if you do your own manual raw searches in all the binary groups, i am too old fat and lazy for that now:whistling), but if you have any requests to see if anything you want does or does not exist, just send me a pm and i will see if i can locate it for you, (keeps me busy :whistling) and if you do raw searches i can give you the Binary name at least to make the search easier..

Like i said server is the way to go today (unless you are collector of some sorts), or i would have thousands of disks all over the place :noes:

Shay

PS. My brother is a collector of old/vintage horror and suspense movies crap, and he has a bunch of original props in his apartment (really bloody creepy if you as me but to each there own i guess:fear: :crazy:)....

Wow. I'll let you know if I'm searching for something. Thanks so much for the offer.

I finally ended up ordering the blu-ray today for black friday week.

I'm probably the only person here who immediately recognized your avatar picture as Caroline Munro and even I'm not that stupid.:mellow:

Ha! You are correct. It's a gif I made where her eyes move back and forth in a creepy way but it doesn't seem to work on this site. I don't know why.