PDA

View Full Version : Seedbox? How are they safe?

SuperTech
07-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Greetings and salutations!

I've been warezing since 1994. My main source of downloading has been newsgroups. I use torrents on and off depending on my needs: usually for software, but more recently for TV shows. Never do Hollywood movies or music. Anyways, I recently downloaded 33GB of a TV series from USENET and the farking thing was encrypted! It was uploaded by someone at nzbroyalty.com. I tried to join their site and it wouldn't let me register without a invitation code. 33GB down the crapper.

I found a torrent of said series, but was afraid of downloading it. After some searching and asking on a warez channel, I signed up for iPredator. This basically routes all traffic through Sweden. Well, it works great, except it slows down the download and when I go to Google it changes all my results to EU (understandable of course). I think I found the holy grail with something called a seedbox. Basically, it appears to be a VPS with a bunch of software for downloading warez.

OK, great, but how exactly does this grant one legal protection? I understand that many people probably come from one IP address, but wouldn't the VPS provider have to provide the identity of who was serving X of Y movie on Z day? That's why I like newsgroups, because you are downloading from a commercial provider and no one else can see it.

In a nutshell: how exactly is a seedbox a cloak from the copyright police?

justlooking
07-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Next time ask for help here. I would've looked up that password if I would've seen your post. Also, seedboxes aren't really safe. It's just that the authorities haven't gone after them yet. Many people just use a seedbox to maintain a decent ratio on those tough to seed on sites that have specialized things I don't see on Usenet.

SuperTech
07-16-2013, 12:13 AM
I'll keep that in mind for the future: thank you. After some research, I signed up for whatbox.ca and got my stash of goodies...quite amazing how fast it downloaded! I might keep this going for the really hard to get stuff and try to keep on USENET as much as possible. Even if I just use it on IRC with the speed it has I think it might be worth it.

shipwreck
07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
There is no such thing as real 'security' in the age of the NSA powered 'cloud computing', but there are ways to make torrenting relatively safe. Some seedbox providers accept bitcoins as payment, for example. The other alternative are VPN providers, especially those that don't save any logs. The better ones actually offer very good speeds.

It's all about avoiding being the low hanging fruit, the average joe copyright trolls aim for first and foremost.

Mitinew
07-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Can anyone recommend a good seedbox provider?

Johndon
07-18-2013, 06:30 PM
I would say someone in the united states is less likely to worry about you,if you are using a seedbox from another country is my thinking. There is also that new six or three stirkes law (I think in the u.s from different isps collaborating), and using a local connection is more likely to get your ip, even though I only use private torrent sites. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but it sits better with me then using my home connection. I've never had letter or anything sent from a seedbox provider like that(not got one on my connection either,but still).

starice
08-08-2013, 08:36 AM
seedboxes.cc

LeftyWanted
08-16-2013, 05:40 PM
seedboxes.cc They oversell their offerings. They're ok for the money, but you are not going to get the speed they advertise (marketing hype...etc).