PDA

View Full Version : Giganews Fades 8hrs+ on Various Groups (Tight Peers Affected)

Beck38
07-13-2013, 11:32 PM
I know everyone tends to point to GN as the 'tops', but occasionally they 'run off the rails' too (but usually 'recover' missing data within 12 hours or less).

Last night around 2200hrs (10pm Pacific time, as they are HQ'ed in LA/California) they stopped adding to various newsgroups and continued that for around 8+ hours. Various peers that are bound 'tight' to GN (like Blocknews) fairly quickly recovered to other peers, but some (like Binsearch as a good example) never did, loosing those 8+ hours into the 'bit bucket'.

As usual, I'll bet 99.999+% of the GN (or others) never noticed, but I did (as I use GN to scan groups for 'things', and it being Friday night in particular, 'Real Time' is a 'must get' and I noticed the problem right off). Like I said, Blocknews recovered pretty quickly (in times past, they always seem to do so whenever any of the other majors like GN or Astra run a bit of the rails, shows really good programming and operation there).

Any rate, around 06:30 (630am) this morning, it appeared that GN picked things back up. In the past when things have gone 'south' with GN, a few hours later they've 'backfilled' the missing headers in those groups in a few hours, but as of now (~1630, again Pacific time) they haven't.

I'll continue to monitor through this evening, but it just goes to show that even the 'high priced spread' does occasionally have problems. FYI, the usual 'suspect' in 'bad ops' (Astra) had zero problems all throughout this 'fade' at GN, and that 'best of the fills' Blocknews, really showed that it saw the problem and picked things up virtually right away.

UPDATE: As of 2200hrs (10pm) tonight, about 24hrs past the time when the 'event' started, still no 'backfills' to GN-US OR GN-EU. I'll trya and see sometime tomorrow if it 'picks up', but those Euro folks posting masses of small size headers (somewhere around 150-250KB per part) have flooded many newsgroups to the point of making it extremely difficult to 'scan' headers for anything in particular (sometimes hitting over 1million headers every couple of hours on certain groups).

Hypatia
07-14-2013, 08:14 AM
as the 'tops',

This one of the "tops" has a huge amount of missing articles past 1400+ days or maybe even past 1000 days, I don't remember now, not related to dmca takedowns.

I have NH ,AW and a month ago I had SN (GN) active too, and judging by my experience of past 6 months , I've come to a conclusion that NH has less missing articles atm than SN(GN) and AW which is kinda hilarious, considering it is highwinds we are talking here about.

(sometimes hitting over 1million headers every couple of hours on certain groups).

MAFIA's pigs, prolly :cool:

Beck38
07-14-2013, 01:36 PM
I tried to check out one of the highlands clones where I still have a very old block account, but the huge amount of headers pretty much deep-sixed that; when going back even a couple of days requires 3+ hours of header retrieval (>10 million) it's a lost cause.

The 'gap' is shown clearly in both Binsearch and and nzbindex, where with Binsearch (apparently very tightly peered with GN) the 'gap' is complete (8hrs plus), whereas with NZBindex it only shows a very minor 'wobble' of a few parts missed right when the GN system halted right around 10pm, and no other 'fade'.

Again, at this point it's moot, and trying to see if GN ever actually fills it in is a bit of a lost cause.

Beck38
07-15-2013, 02:26 AM
It's possible (I tried re-loading the headers from the last 3 days and the 'gap' still seems to remain?) but according to NZBcc GN has backfilled the missing gap as of 1900 Sunday Pacific time.

Not completely verified, but the US plant at least seems to have gotten around to it; a bit slower than times before, though.

Hypatia
07-15-2013, 11:20 AM
At least they backfill stuff
AW's eu server still has minor problems. Whether one uploads through EU AW server or not, EU server looses random articles whereas US AW server generally has them all (in case when uploading is done via different provider, not EU AW)

I wonder wtf is so wrong with AW EU server.AW seems to have been having problems with EU server for a very long time now

piercerseth
07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
At least they backfill stuff
AW's eu server still has minor problems. Whether one uploads through EU AW server or not, EU server looses random articles whereas US AW server generally has them all (in case when uploading is done via different provider, not EU AW)

I wonder wtf is so wrong with AW EU server.AW seems to have been having problems with EU server for a very long time now Yep. Last night was particularly annoying.