PDA

View Full Version : The new way I'm downloading stuffs...

Skiz
07-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Do any of you guys use XBMC? 1channel? IceFilms? Etc...? Maybe some of you have heard of this but I hadn't.

I spoke to tesco recently about my internet problems with Comcast throttling/blocking Usenet. It's a long story but I basically can't use Usenet since I've moved to the Denver area. This sucks as I have a ZBox PC in the living room and another very small PC in the bedroom. Both of these have been used for years in conjunction with XBMC, Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, and CouchPotato to create a seemless PVR. TV shows and movies were automatically downloaded, repaired, renamed, and moved to their respective folders. Once it was all set up, all I needed to do when I got home was grab the remote and start watching, week after week, year after year. As long as I wasn't making changes or adding new shows, it required no interaction from me whatsoever. Now that I can't do that any longer, I've been searching for other alternatives.

My only resort for TV and movies in the short term has been Bittorrent. What a pain in the ass. Seeking out files, downloading, watching ratios... Plus, I had to manually unRAR each file and move it to it's folder. The requires constant interaction which in turn requires me to have a keyboard and mouse at each media center (remember, living room and bedroom). No thank you. I knew that XBMC had add-ons for streaming things like Hulu, YouTube and others but I wondered how far it went. After only a short amount of searching I was able to discover and install a couple of add-ons that has completely changed the way I view TV shows and movies going forward. I feel like I've found the perfect source of content. Possibly even more than I had with Usenet, and all at my fingertips.... and no need for downloading, at least in the traditional sense. What I mean is, in the past, when I wanted to watch a movie, I needed to wait for CouchPotato to grab it or I needed to find it and wait for it to download. Now I don't have to do that. These add-ons all appear to index and grab content from many or all of the major upload sites. Oh, and did I mention it's completely free? :thumbsup:

I added a couple of repositories in XBMC, and then installed a couple of add-ons. With that, I am able to find any movie you could find with Usenet or Bittorrent, but I don't need to "pre"-download anything. I just click the movie I want and it starts streaming in standard or 720p (users choice). I can even sort by A-Z, Popular, Upload date, New Releases, etc. and believe me, it's all there. But where I've really been amazed is with TV Shows. This blows away any file sharing method I've ever used. Want to watch nearly any TV show ever made? It's probably there. Want to watch 'Roseanne' S01 E01? It's there. Want to watch 'Roseanne' S06 E09? It's there, along with every season and episode in between. Want to go back and watch the final episode of MASH or Cheers? They're there. How about tonight's Dexter? It'll be on there the night it airs, in HD, FAST. There are literally thousands of TV shows and it has every episode! No need for traditional downloading. Just select the episode and stream it.

Here a very abbreviated demonstration that someone else uploaded - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC13pSAmnBw

pootystomp
07-17-2013, 03:54 AM
Also, if your a plex user there is an unsupported plugin plugin which will allow you to get a plugin called Let Me Watch This. Same shit, different media center.

shipwreck
07-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Like with all things easy and accessible, it likely won't take long for this to be shut down / sued to oblivion, low hanging fruits and all. So enjoy while it lasts.

megabyteme
07-17-2013, 05:58 PM
With that, I am able to find any movie you could find with Usenet or Bittorrent

You'll come crawling back to Usenet/BT the first time you get a craving for donkey pron. :P

pootystomp
07-17-2013, 09:52 PM
With that, I am able to find any movie you could find with Usenet or Bittorrent

You'll come crawling back to Usenet/BT the first time you get a craving for donkey pron. :P

Also, plugins available for redtube, xhamster, and youjizz on xmbc and plex. The biggest problem is that all of these addons are bandwidth hogs and if you have slow Internet your masturbation time will rise exponentially.

Skiz
07-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Like with all things easy and accessible, it likely won't take long for this to be shut down / sued to oblivion, low hanging fruits and all. So enjoy while it lasts.

Maybe, but right now it is indexing tons of sites. I watched Six Feet Under last night and it was available to stream from 81 different sites. And that's not even a new or popular show.

megabyteme
07-18-2013, 09:15 PM
your masturbation time will rise exponentially.

:w00t::happy:

IdolEyes787
07-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Do any of you guys use XBMC? 1channel? IceFilms? Etc...? Maybe some of you have heard of this but I hadn't.

I spoke to tesco recently about my internet problems with Comcast throttling/blocking Usenet. It's a long story but I basically can't use Usenet since I've moved to the Denver area. This sucks as I have a ZBox PC in the living room and another very small PC in the bedroom. Both of these have been used for years in conjunction with XBMC, Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, and CouchPotato to create a seemless PVR. TV shows and movies were automatically downloaded, repaired, renamed, and moved to their respective folders. Once it was all set up, all I needed to do when I got home was grab the remote and start watching, week after week, year after year. As long as I wasn't making changes or adding new shows, it required no interaction from me whatsoever. Now that I can't do that any longer, I've been searching for other alternatives.

My only resort for TV and movies in the short term has been Bittorrent. What a pain in the ass. Seeking out files, downloading, watching ratios... Plus, I had to manually unRAR each file and move it to it's folder. The requires constant interaction which in turn requires me to have a keyboard and mouse at each media center (remember, living room and bedroom). No thank you. I knew that XBMC had add-ons for streaming things like Hulu, YouTube and others but I wondered how far it went. After only a short amount of searching I was able to discover and install a couple of add-ons that has completely changed the way I view TV shows and movies going forward. I feel like I've found the perfect source of content. Possibly even more than I had with Usenet, and all at my fingertips.... and no need for downloading, at least in the traditional sense. What I mean is, in the past, when I wanted to watch a movie, I needed to wait for CouchPotato to grab it or I needed to find it and wait for it to download. Now I don't have to do that. These add-ons all appear to index and grab content from many or all of the major upload sites. Oh, and did I mention it's completely free? :thumbsup:

I added a couple of repositories in XBMC, and then installed a couple of add-ons. With that, I am able to find any movie you could find with Usenet or Bittorrent, but I don't need to "pre"-download anything. I just click the movie I want and it starts streaming in standard or 720p (users choice). I can even sort by A-Z, Popular, Upload date, New Releases, etc. and believe me, it's all there. But where I've really been amazed is with TV Shows. This blows away any file sharing method I've ever used. Want to watch nearly any TV show ever made? It's probably there. Want to watch 'Roseanne' S01 E01? It's there. Want to watch 'Roseanne' S06 E09? It's there, along with every season and episode in between. Want to go back and watch the final episode of MASH or Cheers? They're there. How about tonight's Dexter? It'll be on there the night it airs, in HD, FAST. There are literally thousands of TV shows and it has every episode! No need for traditional downloading. Just select the episode and stream it.

Here a very abbreviated demonstration that someone else uploaded - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC13pSAmnBw

Hopefully you won't take what I am about to say as sarcasm.:)

I totally get where you are coming from bro.You wouldn't believe how much I yearn for the time when I won't have to literally do anything,no matter how trivial or easy it is and can simply lie in bed and have everything done for me by smart robots.:)
Hopefully when we finally progress to this elevated state of existence then ,like in bad sci fi movies, the robots won't figure out that we are basically now worthless and useless bags of flesh and completely inferior to them and revolt and kill us all as that would likely suck almost as much as having to walk across a 4 foot space to change the channel on my TV would.:)

Anyway as I said hopefully you won't see this as me being sarcastic or railing against technology and take it as it is really intended you lazy motherfucking motherfucker.

Now I'm going for a horseback ride and by that I mean intend to put the horse on my shoulders and walk around the paddock several times.:)

mjmacky
07-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Now I'm going for a horseback ride and by that I mean intend to put the horse on my shoulders and walk around the paddock several times.:)

Where's your video, Mr. Feet?

mjmacky
07-19-2013, 07:48 PM
On topic post, it's likely that there are RSS feeds on your torrent sites. Example, BTN for TV shows are never RARed and you just set up filters and such for the tv shows. I found it much simpler than setting up sab-whatever.

I set up some filters myself (Daily Show at BTN, Hunter x Hunter from Nyaa), but I actually like having to spend the small amount of time and effort looking for episodes since it makes me more selective in the content I choose to watch.

KFlint
07-19-2013, 11:52 PM
I have a script error when running the 1 channel addon, weird... Probably something only working in the US?

Skiz
07-20-2013, 05:07 AM
I have a script error when running the 1 channel addon, weird... Probably something only working in the US?

I wouldnt think it would matter since sites are indexed from various countries. What is the script error? Have you viewed the log file? What are you doing when the error occurs?

KFlint
07-20-2013, 12:30 PM
Gonna try again and look at the logs, all I saw was "script error" showing.

KFlint
07-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I managed to install it after upgrading the xbmc version to frodo and rebooting.

Pretty neat indeed, just not sure how well it works for hd content, I had major lag on some.

Is there a particular video addon you use for hd content?

The best thing is that it works with anything, ipad, android, windows, mac etc...

LeftyWanted
08-16-2013, 05:35 PM

Wow, that's great. If I had a life I wouldn't spend all day with BT sites trying to find content. I've got a PS3 though and I haven't been able to get UMS and the XBMC type addons working like you have. But I do get a lot of content in the format I like for my family using trackers. I just have to manage it. I envy your previous setup.

KFlint
08-28-2013, 08:56 PM
I have to say after a few weeks of use, it's just fucking great...! I solve my bandwith problem by removing my wireless repeater and used a wired access point instead, somehow xbmc didn't like it. Now works flawlessly for HD content.

Virtually anybody can use it once the setup is done, even your grandmother ;)

esco123
08-30-2013, 01:53 PM
how did you guys get it to play HD?

DngrMs
08-31-2013, 06:40 PM
So I finally got around to trying this out and to be honest I'm pretty impressed with the catalogue and general availability.

It's no substitute for local content but it's quite a dandy supplement. I just went on a bit of a TV nostalgia trip and everything was there. I also caught up on a few recent eps of Pawn Stars that my useless PVR missed as well.

I can't find an HD option either but the steam quality in SD is pretty good and once the stream has started I get no buffering at all.

XBMC12.2/Win7

esco123
09-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Hmm I'd prefer it to be HD. can't stand SD lol.

KFlint
09-01-2013, 09:48 PM

IceFilms addon has plenty of stuff in HD. Using 180 and LU hosting should give you enough speed for live streaming of HD content.

esco123
09-02-2013, 09:02 AM

IceFilms addon has plenty of stuff in HD. Using 180 and LU hosting should give you enough speed for live streaming of HD content.

Thanks I'll take a look. Was after TV episodes in HD

theemaster
09-03-2013, 03:33 AM

I spoke to tesco recently about my internet problems with Comcast throttling/blocking Usenet. It's a long story but I basically can't use Usenet since I've moved to the Denver area.
Not, that I’m doubting you about the “throttling” (I've seen it) but why don’t you try vpn’s or ssh forwarding.. some kind of 3rd party routing to move data around..?

I’ve lived in Denver and gotten usenet data off of Comcast.. but I mean qwest does unlimited so if you can something decent going like 15 mbit..? maybe that’d be better (qwest’s network sucks though but that doesn't mean they can't move data..)

Sorry, their not QWEST now.. :rolleyes: whatever their new name is frontline or something :D

Also remember easynews does auto-extraction for you through their 3rd party interface.. your supposed to be able to stream videos and stuff maybe without downloading from the usenet and unrar/unpar.. :P

--

Also let me give you one other solution that know one would ever think of but me.. you could rent (could be pricey or cheap) a server or collocate one in a data center where usenet is ran.. than you could download internally through (Ethernet, though they may or may not count that as a bandwidth charge.. you'd have to ask/talk about it)

Straight from the usenet into that server.. you could do all your unrar/par through that server.. than you could VPN into it or whatnot.. and play videos through it to your home computer like it was just a computer you had in another room (assuming encryption/internet wasn't shaky on you)

KFlint
09-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Straight from the usenet into that server.. you could do all your unrar/par through that server.. than you could VPN into it or whatnot.. and play videos through it to your home computer like it was just a computer you had in another room (assuming encryption/internet wasn't shaky on you)

are you for real...? :blink:

Try XBMC addons and you'll see how simple and efficient it is.

esco123
09-03-2013, 08:12 PM
+1 i recommend this, its not to replace your main way of downloading. just as something different to use imo :)

s6h9i
09-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Heh that's what I originally thought as well OP. Then you realize how horrid playback is and if the streaming site gets saturated, good luck scrubbing to a previous position. Don't forget when a plugin breaks/hasn't been updated when there's a minor css change on the site. It's a crapshoot. Just automate everything locally and you'll never look back.

DngrMs
09-04-2013, 06:56 PM
...It's a [free] crapshoot...

I just [fixed] that for you.

s6h9i
09-06-2013, 07:15 AM
...It's a [free] crapshoot...

Does that make it any less of a crapshoot? It won't be free when your BP shoots to 190 over 110 after the 50th time of scrubbing to your last position. Everyone pays in one way or another.

DngrMs
09-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Does that make it any less of a crapshoot? It won't be free when your BP shoots to 190 over 110 after the 50th time of scrubbing to your last position. Everyone pays in one way or another.

No it doesn't. But it's hard to compete with free.

The gist of this thread is that it's a good supplement to local content - I don't want to have to store 1 million episodes of Friends just because my GF wants to watch one of them once in a blue moon. And since it's free it doesn't really hurt much to check it out.

It's far from perfect but it's better than nothing.

s6h9i
09-08-2013, 09:53 PM

The gist of this thread is that it's a good supplement to local content - I don't want to have to store 1 million episodes of Friends just because my GF wants to watch one of them once in a blue moon. And since it's free it doesn't really hurt much to check it out.

Supplement, sure. OP's post and title clearly suggest replacement. I just wanted to offer hope (albeit a bit late) that there are other solutions to OP's inconvenient setup (manual unraring/constant interaction).

As a side-note, understand that free isn't always better than nothing when it starts to compound your opportunity cost. Value your time. Cheers.

shyflyguy
09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
this is pretty cool thanks for the info

Superdude12
09-12-2013, 08:21 AM

Also, plugins available for redtube, xhamster, and youjizz on xmbc and plex. The biggest problem is that all of these addons are bandwidth hogs and if you have slow Internet your masturbation time will rise exponentially.

Well said .. your masturbation time will rise exponentially.. LOL :-)

theemaster
09-12-2013, 01:41 PM

I would call it a pirate version of Netflix.. (also there updating on the newest content can be slow)

That is semi-unreliable.. doesn't have captions\subtitles and lots of other features.. but yah, it's semi-neat.. semi...