PDA

View Full Version : How to disable ads in uTorrent

Skiz
07-18-2013, 07:16 PM
To turn off ads and offers, open Options > Preferences > Advanced. Here you'll find a large list of flags for the app and a filter box. Search for and disable the following flags:

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled/left_rail_offer
gui.show_plus_upsell
offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled/sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled
bt.enable_pulse
gui.show_notorrents_node
offers.content_offer_autoexec

After all that, restart uTorrent.

:happy: Credit to LifeHacker - http://lifehacker.com/disable-ads-in-utorrent-via-settings-826283231

absent_today
07-19-2013, 01:30 AM
or Just use uTorrent 2.2.1

shipwreck
07-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Or even better, don't use uTorrent at all (unless you must, as quite a few sites tend to basically ban everything else if you use Windows, which is rather stupid if you ask me).

uTorrent's caching mechanism sucks donkey schlong, it's very easy to cause disk overloads if you have decent internet access. And the VPN support sucks, too, as even the newer builds don't properly support UDP trackers while using a bittorrent proxy.

Deluge is more or less superior in any way. It caches much better (no disk overloads), proxy support is much better (just works) and it seeds torrents better / more efficiently. And it's open source and supports all relevant operation systems.

So tracker admins, please stop your uTorrent obsession and finally allow other (better) clients, too. And no, resource hogs like Vuze are no alternative.

absent_today
07-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Apart from 64bit qtorrent along with Raid or SSD there is no alternative if you live in Japan/Sweden and has 1Gbps at home

shipwreck
07-19-2013, 01:55 PM
I said decent, not extraordinary. I can easily cause disk overloads on transfers exceeding 50 Mbps with uTorrent, standard hard disk that is. But with Deluge, even when using a relatively slow 5400rpm 2.5" hdd, 120Mbps are no issue, saturating the link with 10 simultanious torrent downloads even.

So an efficient caching mechanism can make a hell of a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if Deluge could handle a gigabit link with standard hardware also. But unfortunately, I can't confirm that because gigabit home access isn't exactly common in my area.

P.S.: SSDs are great, but torrenting is pretty write intensive, so you better use enterprise class or similar SSDs if you're a heavy donwloader.

absent_today
07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
You need more cache so you need more RAM so need 64bit

shipwreck
07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Doesn't make a difference, as (standard) uTorrent is a 32 Bit application that can only allocate 2GB of memory anyway (you can try that yourself by choosing a disk cache that exceeds 2048MB in the advanced settings). Besides, the machine I run it on has 16GB of memory and a 64Bit OS.

But Deluge is a 32Bit application also, so this isn't about using more cache, but acutally using the cache efficiently. It's pretty pointless to just fill a huge cache with data, no matter how big, and hope that your hard disk will catch up before it spills over. That's just terrible design and it's exactly what the uTorrent cache does. Sure, 64Bit gives you more memory to work with, but the root of the problemi still remains.

Better design > throwing more resources at the problem.

Arguti
07-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Have the partial leeching problems been fixed in the recent updates of deluge? Because i remember at the time that i couldn't download a episode of a full season pack for instance.

shipwreck
07-19-2013, 08:13 PM
That works in the newest Deluge build. But if there is one thing uTorrent does better than Deluge, it's partial downloads, because Deluge tends to download a 'bigger chunk' from the original torrent from my experience.

But still, definitely usable in 1.3.6.

Arguti
07-19-2013, 09:17 PM
That works in the newest Deluge build. But if there is one thing uTorrent does better than Deluge, it's partial downloads, because Deluge tends to download a 'bigger chunk' from the original torrent from my experience.

But still, definitely usable in 1.3.6.

I used to download with deluge because the client was able to fool my isp traffic shapping (got no idea why). But partial leeching is an essencial function to me so i stopped using it. I'll give it another try.