PDA

View Full Version : Pc V3.3

clocker
11-21-2003, 07:17 AM
The air cooled solution has led to (what I pray is) a final version of my new comp.

With the exception of the heatsink, all of the major parts are the same as the last version...some have moved and some have been modded a bit.

Here are two views of the general layout of the case interior. A huge amount of effort has gone into the wiring/cable management. I've tried to keep the airflow in the case as unimpeded as possible.
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-mini-GenLayout1.JPG
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-mini-Genlayout2.JPG
The HDD has moved to a horizontal position on the front of the floor.
This puts it right in front of the lower front case fan and the temp stays within 2-3 deg C of ambient case temp. Right now it is at 27c ( ambient is 24.7c).
Here is a view of the casefront. All of the Thermaltake decoration has been removed and the resulting opening has been screened and grilled. This gives the front intake fans good access to fresh outside (of the case) air.
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-mini-Casefront2.jpg
I also think that it is less garish than the as delivered look, but that is just me...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-mini-Open2.jpg
Next is the front with the bay door open.The picture ain't so hot, but there isn't really that much to see anyway. From the top I have the stock Thermaltake display (temp) which is basically just taking up space till I get my Audigy Platinum sound rig. Below that is the DVD reader. Third is the infamous smart card reader ( which works just fine now, thank you), flanked by two large red buttons. The switch on the left forces Windows to open the SmartCard reader and the righthand switch clears CMOS. The clear CMOS switch is a fairly easy modification that is almost mandatory if you are considering overclocking at all. A real timesaver. Finally is the (beige, ugh) CD-RW which will go away after Christmas and be replaced with a DVD burner.
Next is a view of the case roof...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-mini-Caseroof2.jpg
The main point here is the extractor fan positioned on a Thermaltake DuctingMod tube which pulls hot air from the rear grill of the PSU. Also visible is the new 120mm fan that I put in the bottom of the PSU. This fan, coupled with the extractor fan and the fan on the back of the PSU has dramatically lowered the temps around the power supply. Measured on the side of the PSU right next to the big capacitors, the temp in this area is also just barely above ambient case temp. The back part of the roof of my case, which used to be relatively warm is now cool to the touch. This is also a pretty easy modification to make and I would recommend to anyone.

Finally is the heatsink...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-mini-Heatsink1.jpg
This is just a standard (old style) AMD heatsink with a 60 to 80mm fan adaptor mounted. As soon as I can con my buddies down at the comp store out of the newer "microfin" AMD cooler, I plan on trying that out. It looks to be more effective. Even so, this setup is as good, if not better than the $50 Zalman that I had previously. With the fans in silent mode my idle temp is 44-45c and it will rise to 48-50c under load. With the fan cranked up, temps drop about 3-5 degC. While I was in the area I added a fan to the stock Asus chipset heatsink. Can't say I've noticed much difference in my motherboard temps (they were pretty low to begin with), but what the heck, I like the look and it sure can't hurt. I also have the stock 60 mm AMD heatsink fan laying on the heatpipe assembly mounted to my video card. I haven't had a chance to monitor temps here yet, but I'll get around to it sooner or later.

And that's about it.
I've tried all the ideas that I can come up with for the moment, and frankly, I'm tired of fucking with this thing.
Now it's time to just enjoy it for a while, gather up my thoughts ( and money) and plan for the next go-round.

Later. ;)

boyzeee
11-21-2003, 07:21 AM
nice work ;)

Virtualbody1234
11-21-2003, 04:31 PM
There are quite a few good ideas there, clocker.

What's that electrical tape at the upper right on the CDrom frame? Is it holding a temp probe or something like that?

clocker
11-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@21 November 2003 - 09:31
There are quite a few good ideas there, clocker.

What's that electrical tape at the upper right on the CDrom frame? Is it holding a temp probe or something like that?
What an eye for detail you have 1234.

That is exactly what that is.

Right now I am trying to make a (crude) thermal image of my case interior, hunting for as yet undiscovered hot spots. I am just moving the thermister around and noting the temps.

Right now it is obvious that the greatest concentration of heat is where the largest grouping of heat producing components is nestled- the back half of the case...duh.
This troubles me.

Using my (pat. pending) string and tape method of visualizing airflow, I can already see that the two front inlet fans will never produce enough airflow to reach the most useful area. It is a span of twelve inches from the front of the case to the edge of the motherboard.

I am visualizing a duct from the front of the case to position a fan much closer to the center while still drawing from an external air supply.
This could be fun...

lynx
11-21-2003, 05:04 PM
What you need is some washing up liquid bottles, the centres from toilet rolls (or kitchen towels), some old cereal cartons and some PVA adhesive.

I feel sure that Blue Peter (a UK kids program) must have done something like this. :lol:

Kunal
11-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by lynx@21 November 2003 - 17:04
What you need is some washing up liquid bottles, the centres from toilet rolls (or kitchen towels), some old cereal cartons and some PVA adhesive.

I feel sure that Blue Peter (a UK kids program) must have done something like this. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw clocker, great work. im suprised your zalman was so shit

clocker
11-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Kunal@21 November 2003 - 10:08

btw clocker, great work. im suprised your zalman was so shit
Thank you, but I must point out that I never said the Zalman was "shit".

Upon further reading of the reviews, I feel that my expectations were unrealistic.

Had I a slower CPU and not overclocked, the Zalman would probably have performed as advertised.
Mea culpa, I just picked the wrong tool for the job.

@ lynx,

The cardboard and duct tape are already at hand and the bodging is about to commence...

Virtualbody1234
11-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Right now it is obvious that the greatest concentration of heat is where the largest grouping of heat producing components is nestled- the back half of the case...duh.
This troubles me.
Hey clocker, since you say you have the heat there, why not try moving the two fans from the front to the rear, right behind the CPU blowing out? Just leave the front 'open' to allow the air to enter there.

It also makes it so that the sound is behind the tower further away from your ears.

adamp2p
11-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Looks excellent. :)

clocker
11-21-2003, 08:08 PM
From now on, should I post something like "Well, I think I'm done" or, "This is the final version..." will someone please step up and bitchslap me?

I have already started to make changes from last night's arrangement. :o

The lower front casefan stays where it is as it provides cooling airflow over the heatpipe cooler on the HDD.
The upper front has migrated to the rear of the case ( great minds think alike), but it is blowing in.
I think that I need a pretty large amount of fresh, incoming air here as the 120mm intake on the PSU bottom has a voracious appetite for sustenance. I could be wrong about this, some temp monitoring and uptime will tell the tale.
It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...

The fan arrangement has completely changed on the heatsink also. Should the new setup work as well as preliminary results indicate, I'll post a pic.

Serendipity and boredom can sometimes lead to great things.

raiserblade2003
11-21-2003, 08:15 PM
*BITCHSLAP* :lol:

clocker
11-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by raiserblade2003@21 November 2003 - 13:15
*BITCHSLAP* :lol:
Thank you sir, may I have another?

That one was a bit premature, raiser. I said next time.
I'll let it slide this time...

Kunal
11-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by clocker@21 November 2003 - 20:08
The upper front has migrated to the rear of the case ( great minds think alike), but it is blowing in.
I have found this quite effective on my setup. As my top fan and pci extractor (which is positioned below my psu, as i havent got a dual fan psu, yet!) blow out enough hot air between them.

clocker out of curiosity, how much time do you spend daily planning/pissing about with your fan setup?

clocker
11-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Kunal@21 November 2003 - 13:42

clocker out of curiosity, how much time do you spend daily planning/pissing about with your fan setup?
"Pissing about"?

I prefer to term it "gathering data"... :P

Honestly, I spend more time than most, but less than you might imagine. I have a fairly extensive collection of fan connectors/extensions.y-headers, etc, so moving a fan and hooking it up is a matter of moments.

I have long been afflicted with the "I wonder what..." syndrome. I came down with it while racing, where gaining that little added edge might make a big difference come Sunday. If one is willing to spend the time ( and sometimes, money) to try out different ideas, and most importantly, is willing to discard them should they prove fallacious, then amazing things can be accomplished.

I make no claims of exceptional brilliance, my most winning trait is dogged persistence.

Besides that, think of how much time and energy I am saving you. :P

mooseman2070
11-22-2003, 12:50 AM
nice...

p.s. im just curious, but what are the specs

Evil Gemini
11-22-2003, 02:11 AM
I have long been afflicted with the "I wonder what..." syndrome

:lol: yeah man i know what you mean!!

Your pc setup looks really good. I have a few ideas on cooling i just dont have the cash to stuff around.

I was putting a hsf on my chipset like what you have done. I took the board out of the case, cleaned it up, took the old crap hs off, took the shitty compound off...

I whent to connect the hs on it and their was a capacitor in the way ;).

Fuck i hate that.

Just curious, on the PSU, how would you make it all neat and tidy without seeing the leeds coming out of the PSU ??

Could you put a plate under it like this ? or you think the psu will get to hot

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-plate.JPG

clocker
11-22-2003, 02:51 AM
Well Neat, the PSU would probably be just fine but the plate would completely obscure the blowhole exhaust fan on the case roof.

PSUs are a pain to deal with aesthetically. They make all the leads so damn long and include stuff that I don't want/need. I understand why, but I don't have to like it.
If I was convinced that this was the layout ( or even the case) that this PSU would stay with, I would get totally medieval on it's ass and really go to town on the cabling.
However, since I seem to reconfigure this poor thing about every 24 hrs, it's probably best that I don't do anything drastic just yet.
You see, I have this idea... :o

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2003, 03:10 AM
You see, I have this idea...
:o Oh oh... :o

I have done just that a few times. Disassemble the power supply completely and redo the wire harness from scratch. It makes for a very custom job.

Just be sure that you are in the final stages of your testing and modifications before doing this. It's a real pain to have to undo it because you move something and find out just one cable is a bit too short. :(

clocker
11-22-2003, 03:16 AM
Well VB, I seem to have a problem deciding when I have reached the final stages of a project...

Edit:

I wasn't kidding, I really do have an idea.
What if I flipped the PSU on it's back? This would place the big fan on the top of the unit. The fan would be flipped so that it now is pulling air out of the unit. A vent hole would have to be cut into the case roof. The current exhaust fan on the back would probably be removed and a simple screen installed. That 120mm fan can pull lots of air at a slow speed. I can insulate the (new) bottom of the PSU to isolate it from heat rising off the CPU HSF.

What do ya'll think?

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by clocker@21 November 2003 - 22:16
Well VB, I seem to have a problem deciding when I have reached the final stages of a project...
:lol: :lol: I understand! :lol: :lol:

adamp2p
11-22-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+22 November 2003 - 04:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 22 November 2003 - 04:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@21 November 2003 - 22:16
:lol: :lol: I understand&#33; :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
You guys are funny&#33;

I relate&#33; I only wish I had more time on my hands to play with my favorite machine...but the woes of taking two math classes this semester has taken its toll on my computer time... :blink:

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Edit:

I wasn&#39;t kidding, I really do have an idea.
What if I flipped the PSU on it&#39;s back? This would place the big fan on the top of the unit. The fan would be flipped so that it now is pulling air out of the unit. A vent hole would have to be cut into the case roof. The current exhaust fan on the back would probably be removed and a simple screen installed. That 120mm fan can pull lots of air at a slow speed. I can insulate the (new) bottom of the PSU to isolate it from heat rising off the CPU HSF.

What do ya&#39;ll think?
I think that would reduce the effectiveness of the CPU cooling and overall air flow in your case that the PS fan provides.

clocker
11-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Damn.

You may have a point.
Viewed strictly from the PSU&#39;s standpoint though, I think it would be an improvement.
I suppose that right now, using the intake for the PSU as an exhaust for heat rising from the CPU HSF is a good set up, but it seems unfair to the PSU, sorta.
I&#39;m really debating this one.
On one hand, putting an exhaust vent right above the PSU on the roof isn&#39;t a bad idea anyway, that 1 1/4 inch space is a major heat trap ( although not so much anymore) as there is no appreciable air circulation in there.
On the other hand, it is a pretty major modifcation to make to a very visible area of the case. To this point all of my hole cutting has been internal, or at least not really noticable, and justifiable as good air intake even if there is no longer a fan mounted.

This will take some mulling...

Edit:
I think it&#39;s time to begin designing my own case. Too many decisions on layout , airflow management and aesthetics have to be compromised due to strictures laid out by the case manufacturers.
Particularly galling is the placement of the two biggest heat sources right on top of each other with no really good way of dealing with the waste BTUs.
Hmmmm....

SciManAl
11-22-2003, 03:27 PM
hehehe clocker nice work, i also have been trying to make my test rig more efiecent, and i have gotten to the point of needeing to make my own case, I would look at the new mac G5 case, it has temperate zones etc... things that need air get it first, then your cd drive gets whats left :P

Nice to see a suggestion working&#33;&#33; (the thermaltake ducts&#33;) wee need more poeple like you Clocker&#33;&#33;, although if you poeple think about it, any one who OCs is like clocker, all willing to take risks, and try new things for the better, we just lack the wallet he has hehehehe :P (you don&#39;t have to buy much because you already have it i know&#33;)

1 question though, you say you have one switch for the reseting of the COMOs, do ya think i could take the reset switch (never use the damned thing) and just plugg that into my mobo, (i have the standerd 3 pin jumper for on and reset, your thoughts??

very nice clocker also look at this bit pricy, but if you are truely troubled with your PSU it can be helpfull&#33;

an idea (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/psu-31.html?id=Lew58Qyt)

they make smaller watts too, but the idea is intreging none the less(although i bet you could do it)
I am planning on actually making molex ports etc on the side of the psu, so i only prugg in as many wires as i need... any way

May Your modding be fruitfull, and may it not blow up&#33;&#33; (yes i pray too when i modd something crazy) hehehehe :P

clocker
11-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Al,
You need a switch like this one,
http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/275/275-692.jpg
Your reset switch is only two pole and won&#39;t work.
The illustrated switch will alternately connect the center pole to either of the two outside poles, which is, in essence, exactly what you do when you move the jumper on your CMOS. Edit.. just by happenstance, on my motherboard, the CMOS pin arrangement is exactly the same as a female fan connector, so that&#39;s what I used at the mobo end of the wiring. I don&#39;t know if this is universally true however...

That PSU is definately a step in the right direction, but...
it would have been much cooler if the Molex&#39;s had been mounted on the wall of the box rather than just dangling out of one common hole, and
it seems awfully pricey given that they have really only used a few extra connectors and a few feet of sleeving.
It is still a major improvement over the normal setup, though.
Just more to think about.... :P

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2003, 05:02 PM
http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/detail_hires/psu-31.jpg

I personally don&#39;t like this idea. It adds a bulk of connectors and adds to the total number of connections points. Just more chances of problems due to poor connections.

clocker
11-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Oh, you just don&#39;t like green sheathing... :P

Where&#39;s Abu?

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by clocker@22 November 2003 - 12:11
Oh, you just don&#39;t like green sheathing... :P

Where&#39;s Abu?
It might look cool with a blacklight&#33; :lol:

clocker
11-22-2003, 05:15 PM
A strobing blacklight&#33;

Kunal
11-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by clocker@22 November 2003 - 17:15
A strobing blacklight&#33;
dont forget the disco ball :unsure:

clocker
11-22-2003, 05:51 PM
I thought I asked you not to mention the disco ball...

It was going to be a surprise. :angry:

SciManAl
11-23-2003, 05:15 AM
hehehe :P the ongoing saga, i have lights clocker(i do respect the fact that EVERYONE has thier own opinions about this) i use them for essientail componets ie water pump and radiater fans etc... just so that i can at a glance be sure that all i s working well&#33;&#33;

Also i have noticed the Female fan thingy i think it is universil, (the way jumpers work suggets it)

ie you woundn&#39;t see an L shaped jumper...

And as for the PSU it was only a suggestion, and i personally don&#39;t like it, but i am doing what it does at the start without the 1 hole, i will have it so that you plug into the PSU like the way the power to the wall plugs in on the back... i figure this could cause it to be al little more (just as many as i need) sorta thing... (witha 500 watt psu... i don&#39;t need all the cables)

as for the sleeving i wouldn&#39;t mind having it done as wel as they do it.. <_<

hehehehe :P rock on clocker (get the diso ball preped robin, and i will get in the beefed up car that ways way too much to realisticly handle the way it does...)

:P

bob_the_alien
11-23-2003, 06:18 AM
I actually decided to try the Stock hsf, since you speak so highly of it clocker.
I was kinda ifiy on the matter, because, I just didn&#39;t know, since I&#39;m ocing, whether I should trust my computer to a stock hsf.

Anyway, with the Coolermaster CPU cooler (wasn&#39;t the greatest hsf, but I thought it&#39;d be better than the stock hsf)
I was getting around 48- 50 at full load. And it was at idle around 36 or so. Now, since I&#39;ve changed to the stock hsf I&#39;m actually getting lower temps. Around 43-46 at full load and still staying around 36 at idle. I can&#39;t really believe the temp lowered with stock hsf. Guess AMD stock hsf, does have something to say for it after all.

As I told you before I ordered the Jet 7, but I canceled the order, I&#39;ve decided I&#39;m going with water cooling, although, I would like to have a Mach ;) . Though, I&#39;m going to wait until after Christmas, just because, I guess Christmas presents for my family and friends should come before my obsession with my PC, but it’s hard not to go ahead and do it. :lol:

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant....t_Code=PV3-8130 (http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=PV3-8130)
So Cool, Even though I&#39;d like to see those kind of temps, My better judgement says, just go with water cooling.

clocker
11-23-2003, 05:18 PM
WTF just happened?

Where did the rest of this topic go?

Edit: Aha&#33; moving servers are we?
Well crap, all that hard work for nothing....

VB, results were very similar no matter which way the fans blew. If anything, just a wee bit worse with your preference. If I thought that they would stay around, I&#39;d repost the pics, but it&#39;s a real pain as I&#39;d have to reupload them as well, so maybe not yet...

Livy
11-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by clocker@23 November 2003 - 17:18
WTF just happened?

Where did the rest of this topic go?
i think you need to read here clocker. :P

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=83524

Virtualbody1234
11-23-2003, 07:46 PM
Yeah we lost some of our posts. Oh well...

No need to reupload them. Just save the links. :)

clocker
11-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Okay, I&#39;ll try this again...

New HS fan with the two case fans blowing in...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/231103-fans-a.jpg
and the test results...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/231103-test1.jpghttp://server4.uploadit.org/files/231103-test1a.jpg

Same setup except , as per VBod, the case fans have been reversed..
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/231103-fans-b.JPG
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/231103-test2.jpg
During the fan flip I opened a window and cooled off the case interior. As the second burn-in test was running the interior case temp was .5 degC higher than the first test.

So what do you think 1234?
To me, the results are, at best, tipped slightly in favor of blowing in.
At worst, it&#39;s a wash I think.

Virtualbody1234
11-23-2003, 10:57 PM
It&#39;s good enough for me. I think it was worth trying. :)

clocker
11-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Out of idle curiousity, does anyone know where the motherboard temp is taken from?
Is it possible to artificially skew the mobo temps by having a fan blowing directly on the sensor?

Virtualbody1234
11-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Hmmm good question. I think it&#39;s the LMxxxx chip at the right of the CPU socket.

I&#39;m really not sure about that.

http://www.national.com/appinfo/tempsensors/

Duffman
11-24-2003, 07:12 AM
god im so lost in this topic, i like computers and all and this seems like it would be interestion if i knew what the hell you guys were talking about, i own a compaq 6016us and want to get a laptop that is better that my desktop so i can sell the desktop to someone on ebay, so how do i got about making a cheap 1000&#036; under, the more under the better and ending up with a decent processor 512 on the ram and a dvd burner would be nice, making a smaller hard drive possible because im willing to put stuff on discs and sacrafice hd space, input would be nice or i swear to god ill get a dell

Duffman
11-24-2003, 07:13 AM
so many typos and im not gonna fix em, and i don&#39;t really have anything against dell

clocker
11-24-2003, 12:24 PM
I&#39;m sure that Dell is relieved.

Now, what do you have against the English language?

lynx
11-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Clocker - we&#39;re the ones that have to read it. What has he got against us?

lynx
11-24-2003, 01:09 PM
I&#39;m intrigued. How is the cpu fan mounted - have you got some sort of levitation device or is it bolted directly to the centre of the heatsink? :(

And without a shroud, what is directing the airflow onto the heatsink?

clocker
11-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Lynx, I&#39;m sure that there is no specific animosity involved.

More of a general disdain probably.

Duffman
11-24-2003, 07:06 PM
I love how my poor grammer is adressed more that my probobally simple problem at hand, I feel like im in enlish class

lynx
11-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Duffman3@24 November 2003 - 19:06
I love how my poor grammer is adressed more that my probobally simple problem at hand, I feel like im in enlish class
Maybe that&#39;s because this topic is about clocker&#39;s pc.

If you&#39;ve got a problem perhaps you should start your own topic?

Duffman
11-24-2003, 10:26 PM
oh you think your so smart

Kunal
11-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Duffman3@24 November 2003 - 23:26
oh you think your so smart
yes we all beleive we are smart.....

i agree with lynx here, go make your own topic, if you want to talk about stuff like &#39;dell&#39; and your poor spelling.

btw clocker explain in more detail how have you put your fan on your heatsink&#33;

Duffman
11-24-2003, 10:35 PM
i did make my own topic, but on the subject of clockers pc, how come no one has tried to rig up some air conditioner type thing to cool the computer

lynx
11-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Duffman3@24 November 2003 - 22:35
i did make my own topic, but on the subject of clockers pc, how come no one has tried to rig up some air conditioner type thing to cool the computer
Because, and if you&#39;d been around a little longer you would know this, it&#39;s really all about getting the NOISE level down without compromising the cooling. I hardly think an 80db hurricane quite fits the bill.

Duffman
11-24-2003, 10:59 PM
2 birds with 1 stone in the summer

clocker
11-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Duffman3@24 November 2003 - 15:35
Duffman,
http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/detail_hires/cas-118.jpg
Vapochill (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cas-119.html) makes this refrigerated unit for a mere &#036;900. Intel or AMD. Several different models.
Belly up to the bar, boy.

@Kunal & Lynx,
This pic shows the u-shaped bracket that mounts this fan to the Zalman cooler.
It looked like it would just slip between the fins of the AMD HS...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/241103-mini-bracket.JPG
And, son of a bitch&#33;, it does. simple tension has held it in place so far.
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/241103-mini-install.JPG
As effective as this set up may be, I hate to keep it as it renders my Zalman HS useless for resale without this rather specialized fan. Till I come up with something better though, it stays.
Lynx, without a shroud, nothing is really directing the airflow specifically into the HS finning. That fan just floods the entire area, which is an effect that I rather like.
The first set up ( with the 80mm fan adaptor), really focused the airflow and a steady stream of heated air could be felt escaping from the sides of the HS. On the RH side unfortunately, this escaping air blew directly onto my first stick of RAM.
Hardly ideal.

Duffman
11-25-2003, 12:28 AM
well my idea involed a ac in the wall, plastic wrap, papertowell tubing and massive amounts of duct tape, imagine.. if you will
plastic wrap coming off the ac in a triangle type thing ending with cardboard tubing that runs the the nearby computer and then into the computer. although the computer would have to be wrapped not to let too much air out. lol just picture it isn&#39;t it........ cool, get it cool

clocker
11-25-2003, 12:59 AM
Duffman I have no doubt that there already exist several rigs set up as you propose.

I&#39;m not really a duct tape, paper towel roll kinda guy, though.

lynx
11-25-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by clocker@24 November 2003 - 23:45
@Kunal & Lynx,
This pic shows the u-shaped bracket that mounts this fan to the Zalman cooler.

It looked like it would just slip between the fins of the AMD HS...
And, son of a bitch&#33;, it does. simple tension has held it in place so far.

As effective as this set up may be, I hate to keep it as it renders my Zalman HS useless for resale without this rather specialized fan. Till I come up with something better though, it stays.
Lynx, without a shroud, nothing is really directing the airflow specifically into the HS finning. That fan just floods the entire area, which is an effect that I rather like.
The first set up ( with the 80mm fan adaptor), really focused the airflow and a steady stream of heated air could be felt escaping from the sides of the HS. On the RH side unfortunately, this escaping air blew directly onto my first stick of RAM.
Hardly ideal.
It&#39;s impossible to tell from that picture, but I assume that there&#39;s a hole in the middle of that u-shaped bracket. If not, you are shielding the most important part of the heatsink - the bit immediately on top of the cpu.
Edit: that&#39;s why I like copper based heatsinks, they make the area above the cpu less important.

I think the reason you are seeing an improvement in temps with the back panel fans blowing air inwards (compared to outwards) is that they are blowing across the cpu heatsink and consequently doing part of the job of a shrouded heatsink fan.

I hadn&#39;t considered the effect of hot air from the cpu blowing across the memory. Something I need to look at next time I start overclocking.

Speaking of overclocking, I was thinking about the trick of connecting pins on the back of the motherboard (for Thoroughbred and Barton processors) and suddenly realised that there might be a possibility of using some sort of jumper to try this trick out. The important bit was going to be the spacing of the pins. I have found out that the pin spacing horizontally and vertically is 0.1", the rows of pins are offset by 0.05" relative to the next row. The pins which need to be joined are on adjacent rows (shifted by half a row).

Converting this to metric, pins spacing is 2.5mm in any row, with 1.25mm between adjacent rows, offset by 1.25 mm. So the distance between a pin on one row and the nearest pin on an adjacent row is 1.414x1.25mm = 1.77mm. I&#39;m pretty sure that there are some jumpers with pin spacing at 1.75mm, I&#39;m also pretty sure I&#39;ve got some, somewhere.

With this method, if it works a blob of hot-gun glue makes it semi-permanent, a craft knife to cut the glue restores the board to the original condition.

clocker
11-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Lynx,

SpeedStrip (http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/Speed-Strip/) looks like the fastest, easiest and most reversable method of unlocking the multipliers on your chip to me.

No, there is no hole on the center of the bracket. And the fan hub is fairly large. The fact that the fan assy. is raised over the HS probably helps unmask the finning somewhat, but still, it&#39;s hardly ideal. A work in progress, to be sure.

I&#39;ll be moving my temp probe onto the RAM stick in question this evening. See what shows up. At the very least, a simple deflector could easily redirect the escaping air upwards rather than directly at the RAM. Might be helpful.

lynx
11-25-2003, 02:11 AM
I&#39;ve seen that Speedstrip idea before, I&#39;m not too keen on putting anything between the cpu and the socket, even if it only half a millimeter. I can well believe that the extra strain from the heatsink bracket could well crack the cpu die.

The method I propose joins the same pins on the back of the motherboard. If anything goes wrong the cpu has not been tampered with in any way, and until I&#39;m happy with the results neither has the motherboard. In fact I don&#39;t need to even disturb the hsf etc.

Now I just need to work out what I&#39;ve done with those jumbers. :rolleyes:

I was thinking along the same lines as you with regard to having a deflector between the cpu and the memory. I suspect I&#39;ve got exactly the same problem, and it probably explains why my mobo temp is so near to my cpu temp (the mobo temp chip is between the cpu and the memory).

Btw, my main heating has been down this weekend, so the ambient temp has been down at about 15C first thing in the morning. This dropped the cpu temp (with the fan at 100%) to 28C. Mobo temp was also 28C, which tends to confirm the thoughts about the heat from the hsf warming the mobo chip.

clocker
11-25-2003, 02:44 AM
Right now my chip temp is 42C and the mobo is 32C.

I have always had a good differential in those two readings. Board temp tends to be 2-3degC over ambient case temp.
BTW, my first reads on the memory temp show 31.1C- very similar to the board temp. This doesn&#39;t really surprise me as that fan is blasting air all over. Maybe not the most efficient for the HS, but a boon for the rest of the neighboring components.

_John_Lennon_
11-25-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by clocker@24 November 2003 - 20:53
Lynx,

SpeedStrip (http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/Speed-Strip/) looks like the fastest, easiest and most reversable method of unlocking the multipliers on your chip to me.
Umm guys, if you look at that article, all it does is jumps two pins on the motherboard, and oddly enough, it tell you how it does it, and it SHOWS YOU which two pins are being jumped.

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/other_misc/Speed-Strip/pics/1003.jpg

I know people who have used a graphite pencil to jump the L2 bridges on the throughbreds to unlock the 512k L2 Cache, and I would bet that you can just draw a line between the two pins under the processor, and voilia, its unlocked.

All you need is to jump the pins, and last time I check, graphite usually works at doing that.

You spend = 0 dollars.

Speedstrip= 15 dollars

Graphite = .03 mm thick

speedstrip = 1 mm thick.

Umm come on guys, no need to waste your money on what you can do yourself.

clocker
11-25-2003, 02:58 AM
John, if you read further you&#39;ll see that AMD has cut channels inbetween the affected pins so the old pencil trick doesn&#39;t work anymore. I have seen articles on how to fill the groove and then paint in the connector, but the SpeedStrip looks like the best solution to me. I&#39;ve read two reviews and they both mentioned Lynx&#39;s concern about the added thickness, but neither had any trouble IRL.

I&#39;m glad I didn&#39;t have to deal with that shit.

Edit:

The Speed Strip is less than .5mm thick, BTW, not 1mm as you stated.

_John_Lennon_
11-25-2003, 03:00 AM
How does the conductive material on that speedstrip differ from just pencil graphite?

<_<

Even if they put a safeguard on the boardchip between the pins, you can easily just put something as simple as hell a bit of fingernail polish (the kind without metal conductive materials in it of course.) to cover the small area around the two pins you plan to put the graphite bridge and then put the graphite over it so it doesnt conduct to the board, just between those two pins.

Oh and btw clocker, graphite isnt .03mm thick either......

BTW: I have had people do pratically this exact same thing.

clocker
11-25-2003, 03:08 AM
Got me.

I&#39;ve only done casual reading on this subject as it doesn&#39;t affect me.

lynx
11-25-2003, 11:40 AM
JL, I understand what you are saying, the site I originally came across said that graphite was not really good enough for this trick.

The point about my mod (using a jumper) is that it goes on the back of the MOBO (which the speedstrip can&#39;t), it uses a standard 1.75mm jumper which I think I&#39;ve already got, and costs virtually nothing if I haven&#39;t got one. It is also completely reversible.

This picture (http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/speedstrip/3b.shtml) (sorry they don&#39;t allow linking) supposedly shows a gap between the heatsink and the processor when using the speedstrip. The box and arrow are in the wrong place, it&#39;s the tiny splash of light to the left. I&#39;m not willing to risk that.

_John_Lennon_
11-26-2003, 02:52 AM
Well im sure something would suffice to jump the circuits, you only need something to complete the circuit between the in ergo something with metal in it, such as the graphite.

Yeah, I know, the graphite tricks are kinda getting a bit too old to still be viable options, but i was just using it as an example in this case.

Ahh, the simple days when a pencil was all you needed to unlock a thoroughbreds. :)