PDA

View Full Version : Please Disable AdBlock Plus Warning Message never goes away

Hahaiah
07-31-2013, 01:18 PM
I have Adblock plus installed on FF and it's always been disabled for FST. I checked blockable items and it only shows FST on the page. Yet starting on 7/31/2013, every single page load gives me a popup. Anyone else get this?

I have EASYLIST installed to update the ad blocking list, it must be adding something to trigger FST popup. When I disable it, no popup. This combo means I can't visit without a popup or I have to disable it entirely.

If anyone knows or can provide the list I can manually add exceptions I guess. All ads are displaying so this a little aggravating but who cares right.

voodu
07-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Anyone else get this?

Yes, same.

slagboyz
07-31-2013, 06:35 PM
yeah, also getting the auto prompt about turning it off (mine is off for site also) - i still see the adds

Samurai
07-31-2013, 08:54 PM
While I do agree to some extent that the ads are needed to fund the site, I believe the consistant popups to be very obtrusive. While FST may *think* the ads are relevant to the content (or whatever message was displayed), I have no intention whatsoever of clicking on any of them anyway.

If I want to purchase something, I either go through Quidco or find out if there's an offer on.

This is a big step backwards IMO and will no doubt alienate quite a few users.

fastplumb
07-31-2013, 09:04 PM
I've disabled mine for FST & also still getting the pop-up

Hahaiah
07-31-2013, 09:05 PM
I hear you, but this is my favorite site for this stuff so I'm willing to put up with a lot more than I would from any other site. It looks like the EASY lists override per site rules in Adblock plus, I manually disabled ADSENSE (something) and no popups. But I'm sure now that it won't block on any other site. Anyone know if donations kill ads?

witchking42
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM
+1 for FST added to exception list but still getting warning message.

citadel535
07-31-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't mind whitelisting fst but even when I permit the domain with:

@@||filesharingtalk.com^$document

I continue to get the pop up!

megabyteme
07-31-2013, 09:59 PM
I block the ads with ABP, and do not get the pop-up. Just saying this is not a universal issue.

EDIT-Got it on one page. Closed it with the [x] instead of saying "OK". Not sure if that helped me or not.

I do know I would not be "charmed" into complying by annoyance terrorism, though...

anon
08-01-2013, 01:54 AM
The false positives are something tesco or RealitY will have to fix. A JavaScript alert on every page load is somewhat vexing even for those who deliberately leave Adblock on, though. Maybe drawing the banners over a background that says something like "please turn your ad blocker off to support the site" (which would then only appear if they're blocked or hidden) would be a better idea. I do agree with the idea behind this; we don't have pop-ups or those annoying Flash ads that plague other sites, and advertising revenue helps keep the forum alive.

Anyone know if donations kill ads?

I don't know the specifics, but the welcome thread says donators see "less ads".

Hahaiah
08-01-2013, 02:23 AM
"Annoyance terrorism" Awesome.:D

megabyteme
08-01-2013, 02:37 AM
I do agree with the idea behind this; we don't have pop-ups or those annoying Flash ads that plague other sites, and advertising revenue helps keep the forum alive.

I see the ads at the very top of the screen for a split-second. Not sure if that is counting as a "displayed" ad, or not.

piercerseth
08-01-2013, 02:44 AM
"Annoyance terrorism" Awesome.:D
Try spotting a few dozen nzbs with that pop up in your face on each refresh. I switched to chromium to post for the time being :cry:

RealitY
08-01-2013, 06:02 AM
Have taken this off the site for now. Its clearly buggy and quite annoying. Think something similar like the notices thats triggered when AdBlock is on would be fine. Will have to look for something better than this. Regarding donating (http://filesharingtalk.com/payments.php) it does take some of the ads off the site. Thinking perhaps all ads could be taken off for this...

anon
08-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Have taken this off the site for now. Its clearly buggy and quite annoying. Think something similar like the notices thats triggered when AdBlock is on would be fine. Will have to look for something better than this.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=262525

What about that?

08-01-2013, 07:15 PM
it can be caused by other extensions that block adsense like ghostery or noscript
fix: https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/5825

IdolEyes787
08-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I didn't actually use adblock but the coercive nature of the announcement pissed me off so much I decided to install it.

Anyway thanks FST for inadvertently making my online life much more palatable.:)

PS Trying to get people to forcibly view ads on a site supposedly dedicated to the freedom of filesharing is meant to be viewed as irony isn't it?:)

DngrMs
08-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Regarding donating (http://filesharingtalk.com/payments.php) it does take some of the ads off the site. Thinking perhaps all ads could be taken off for this...

Would be appreciated, or at least for donations > $x

I run an ad blocker anyway, but with a clear conscience...:D

RealitY
08-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Hows it look now...

Have taken this off the site for now. Its clearly buggy and quite annoying. Think something similar like the notices thats triggered when AdBlock is on would be fine. Will have to look for something better than this.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=262525

What about that?

Would have to add another group for that. Its not likely it would be worth it. Think its fine as it is now. For now the ads are taken off like this...

When reistered and logged in theres no in threads ads now.
If Donator theres also no footer ads showing.

Regarding donating (http://filesharingtalk.com/payments.php) it does take some of the ads off the site. Thinking perhaps all ads could be taken off for this...

Would be appreciated, or at least for donations > $x

I run an ad blocker anyway, but with a clear conscience...:D

megabyteme
08-02-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm holding out until the donor stars can be made to read, "Idol Sucks". :)

Until then, I'm looking for a script to get ABP to block the guilt passage.

anon
08-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Hows it look now...

This is much better, thanks. I'd just make a few changes: "The sites ads" should be "The site's ads", and the link's blue text over a dark blueish background is pretty hard to see, I'd suggest a lighter shade.

That can be done with 1 line of code... the question is... will you? :O

megabyteme
08-02-2013, 11:43 AM
That can be done with 1 line of code... the question is... will you? :O

Allowing ads as long as they do not become overbearing, disruptive, or noxious. I seem to remember enabling ABP (and leaving it on ever since) due to one such ad that made it difficult to read posts because it kept flashing, or something asinine.

Point is... often the is a reason why people choose to block ads. Be VERY careful what you do for revenue- it could cost you FAR MORE in the future for doing something counter to the user experience.

IdolEyes787
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Obviously I'm a psychopath so the notion of guilt is foreign to me but I've heard tell that guilt is best reserved for things other than the fact you prevented someone from punching you in the face.

Anyway that's just my opinion and now I'm off to either kill a dog or pee my bed.

megabyteme
08-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Anyway that's just my opinion and now I'm off to either kill a dog or pee my bed.

Is that what you are calling ugly homosecksuals these days? Couldn't you just ask him to leave without resorting to violence or territorialism? :no:

anon
08-02-2013, 01:11 PM
one such ad that made it difficult to read posts because it kept flashing, or something asinine.

That must have been Hombre's old sig. :eyebrows:

megabyteme
08-02-2013, 05:15 PM
That must have been Hombre's old sig. :eyebrows:

Don't remind me. :frusty:

citadel535
08-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I do agree with the idea behind this; we don't have pop-ups or those annoying Flash ads that plague other sites, and advertising revenue helps keep the forum alive.

I see the ads at the very top of the screen for a split-second. Not sure if that is counting as a "displayed" ad, or not.

You probably have an ad blocker that uses css to hide the ads after the site loads. I prefer firefox over chrome due to this as chrome inhibits addons from actually blocking scripts/ads. No script and adblock plus actually prevent elements from loading in Firefox instead of having everything load and do its' thing and then hide them.

megabyteme
08-03-2013, 03:44 AM

You probably have an ad blocker that uses css to hide the ads after the site loads. I prefer firefox over chrome due to this as chrome inhibits addons from actually blocking scripts/ads. No script and adblock plus actually prevent elements from loading in Firefox instead of having everything load and do its' thing and then hide them.

Thanks for this info. If true, it works out nicely for the site (who gets paid for the load) and the user who does not have to keep looking at the ad. The only loser would be the advertiser, and I've never had much sympathy for them. :D

RealitY
08-03-2013, 04:07 AM
We rarely have pay per show on the site. They generally are paying for slot or they are affiliate types. With other type ads youde likely be looking at the annoying types. Weve always tried to stay off these and they really dont generate much also...

megabyteme
08-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Like I said, I've re-enabled ads for the site. Nothing bothersome currently. :)

IdolEyes787
08-03-2013, 12:23 PM

In other "I'm not a hypocrite" megabyteme news our valiant hero insists on sitting through all the commercials on whatever TV show he happens to be watching since it's also apparently the right thing to do.:mellow:

Anyway villains like myself see the irony in the fact that most,if not all of FST's advertisers are promoting products meant to deprive others of revenue,so in other words, you sow what you reap or something,so basically fuck them.

In other,other news, George Lucas feels that he should be allowed to charged $50 for his shite movies because and conveniently omitting the fact he will still amass a vast fortune from them even if he only charged five bucks , they cost so much to make. :cry:
Megabyteme swears that he sees this as only common sense and not greed and adamantly vows to not pirate them and happily go to the theatre and suffer through them and maybe even leave a tip.

megabyteme
08-03-2013, 12:41 PM

In other "I'm not a hypocrite" megabyteme news our valiant hero insists on sitting through all the commercials on whatever TV show he happens to be watching since it's also apparently the right thing to do.:mellow:

No, unlike you, I don't want to disappoint anon. :snooty:

As for real-world advertising, the only ones my kids have ever seen (or not) are product placements inside shows. We "pay" for our media viewing by purchasing dolls, shirts, cups, wall clings, etc. of the shows my kids truly enjoy. Not everyone wins, but Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Central, and Michael Bay (Mattel) won't go out of business anytime soon. :idunno: And others will get paid as our tastes change.

Here, like real-world, we aren't "sitting through" anything (unlike the position I had Darthy's mum in last night)...

DngrMs
08-03-2013, 03:09 PM
If Donator theres also no footer ads showing.

Okay, so I disabled ABP to have a look and I'm afraid I've turned it back on.

I get an animated ad in the top right of every page, I get an animated ad immediately below the navigation bar, so really just be low the other ad and I get an animated ad at the bottom of the page.

The most I'd tolerate to turn ABP back off, on a site I donated (reasonably) to would be a single, static banner ad per page.

Vestibule
08-03-2013, 04:47 PM
I disabled ABP so it... does not run on this page.... FST only... The only add I'm getting is the Astraweb banner at the top of the page...

DngrMs
08-03-2013, 05:47 PM
My view:

IdolEyes787
08-03-2013, 05:54 PM
I won't donate but I'll give the owner of this site $50000 dollars if he offs himself.:)

megabyteme
08-03-2013, 06:37 PM
My view:

That's exactly what I see. I think I've seen one on the bottom of the page, but rarely seem to scroll that far. I don't think you are benefiting from your donation.

DngrMs
08-05-2013, 08:33 AM
That's exactly what I see. I think I've seen one on the bottom of the page, but rarely seem to scroll that far. I don't think you are benefiting from your donation.

I get one at the bottom as well.

I am benefiting though, I run ABP guilt free.

megabyteme
08-05-2013, 12:43 PM

I get one at the bottom as well.

I am benefiting though, I run ABP guilt free.

:lol::happy: