PDA

View Full Version : What is IndexOne - An encrypted usenet indexing site?

user3240
08-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Do we have another money grab?

http://www.reddit.com/r/UsenetInvites/comments/1jaqid/o_trial_invites_to_indexone_an_encrypted_usenet/

The invites are for a trial account and the offer is valid for the whole month of August. Trial accounts are full accounts on one of the mirror sites and for you to decide if you want to become a permanent user. The user base is less than 1000 people. There is no vip or other form of subscription, the site is run by it's users as a community effort, participation is expected however donations are voluntary.

Write a mail to (E Mail Address deleted but it's still on Reddit for those who care)asking for an invite and include the invite code below. It can take a day or 2 so be patient.

Invite code is: s01e01

You need to use PGP if you write them or they will not answer, i attached the public key at the end. They only communicate encrypted and the site is SSL only.

Please do not forget to include your public PGP key or they can not write you back.

Good luck.

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.21-beta20 (MingW32)

DngrMs
08-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Encrypted crap. Blah.

It's not required as long as you don't expect Usenet to be an archive (hint: it's not).

piercerseth
08-02-2013, 12:40 AM
This guy beat me to it

Maybe I am not considering every aspect, but isn't this level of security on an indexer sort of pointless? I am all for security, but the indexer is simply indexing what's available on the servers. If something is, or isn't, on the servers in an encrypted fashion that has nothing to do with indexing. Downloading a nzb file is hardly tantamount to piracy, which is the only thing indexers offer

Edit: Why not chase the premise to its logical (read: absurb) conclusion and run your indexer as a tor hidden service?

Beck38
08-04-2013, 06:05 AM
Encrypted crap. Blah.

It's not required as long as you don't expect Usenet to be an archive (hint: it's not).

Well... maybe maybe not.

As we're passing the 5 year point on most usenet server retention, I decided to NZBcc a whole bunch of stuff I posted in the Aug-Dec 2008 time frame, 'just fer fun'.

All still there. Even on Astraweb. Near zero errors and extremely well within the parity recovery (like 5% of the 10% pars posted needed to rebuild at WORST; for those who can't do arithmetic in their heads, that's .5% of the pars used to recover). Much of it is still pristine.

This includes a fair number of things that have been widely reported as 'DMCA'd' in the past few months. You know what I'm talking about, those postings labeled 'take.me.down.take.me.down.right.now' and the like. Mine aren't so labeled, and use what I term 'open labeling' and 'open encryption'. i.e., easy to decipher and decrypt. No crap pay sites needed. I do this to try and keep my mind active.

I store everything on 'very large networked arrays' and in shuttling things around to new storage a few months back, I must have missed some things. As I've also stored/shared things in the usenet 'cloud', I easily retrieved them.

So, as long as these huge, commercial servers, stay on the planet and my connection stays live and 'affordable', it's an archive. If some folks want to be stupid, it's not... for them.

DngrMs
08-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Well... maybe maybe not.

As we're passing the 5 year point on most usenet server retention, I decided to NZBcc a whole bunch of stuff I posted in the Aug-Dec 2008 time frame, 'just fer fun'.

All still there. Even on Astraweb. Near zero errors and extremely well within the parity recovery (like 5% of the 10% pars posted needed to rebuild at WORST; for those who can't do arithmetic in their heads, that's .5% of the pars used to recover). Much of it is still pristine.

This includes a fair number of things that have been widely reported as 'DMCA'd' in the past few months. You know what I'm talking about, those postings labeled 'take.me.down.take.me.down.right.now' and the like. Mine aren't so labeled, and use what I term 'open labeling' and 'open encryption'. i.e., easy to decipher and decrypt. No crap pay sites needed. I do this to try and keep my mind active.

I store everything on 'very large networked arrays' and in shuttling things around to new storage a few months back, I must have missed some things. As I've also stored/shared things in the usenet 'cloud', I easily retrieved them.

So, as long as these huge, commercial servers, stay on the planet and my connection stays live and 'affordable', it's an archive. If some folks want to be stupid, it's not... for them.

An archive that you don't control and has no retention SLA perhaps. Any provider could alter their retention 'promise' at any time or remove any file, at their sole discretion, at any time. That doesn't fit my definition of an "archive".

Nevertheless I acknowledge the personal experience you've shared with us on a few occasions. But this time I'll bite; how about you share an NZB of just one of these infamous files you've uploaded that is a) reasonably old and b) a DMCA target and c) only mildly obfuscated?

I really want to believe you have a free, provider independent solution that works for the masses but I'm not so sure.

Beck38
08-06-2013, 04:41 AM
An archive that you don't control and has no retention SLA perhaps. Any provider could alter their retention 'promise' at any time or remove any file, at their sole discretion, at any time. That doesn't fit my definition of an "archive"..

And if we were talking about just one 'plant' out there in that cloud, I'd fully agree. But we're not. A goodly dozen independent servers, on multiple continents. All interconnected with so many fiber links (I helped design, build, and operate a fair number of them over 20 years) that only something like a comet collision will take it all down.

As far as my 'schema', if you are actually scanning newsgroups, you'll easily find them.. If you're relying on these private for-pay sites, probably not. But they are easily retrievable/findable using any of the open search engines out there/

pleasedelete
12-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Please delete this THREAD. This email belongs to me and I do not want this mail to be all over google connected with a filesharing site! No offense to you guys but please admins remove this ASAP.

You can write me a mail and i confirm.

IdolEyes787
12-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Please delete this THREAD. This email belongs to me and I do not want this mail to be all over google connected with a filesharing site! No offense to you guys but please admins remove this ASAP.

I'm truly surprised that the staff at the mental institution allow you unsupervised internet privileges.

pleasedelete
12-26-2013, 02:33 PM

I'm truly surprised that the staff at the mental institution allow you unsupervised internet privileges.

Oh look out everyone! Someone is a tough guy on the internet! Is there a need for insults?

IdolEyes787
12-26-2013, 06:42 PM
1.I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be tough on the internet.Actually I think the words "internet" and "tough" are mutually exclusive or something.
2. No need for insults if you believe that people should just scurry into holes like rats as opposed to being willing to suffer the possible consequences of their actions.Next rodent question. :)

megabyteme
12-26-2013, 08:52 PM
1.I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be tough on the internet.Actually I think the words "internet" and "tough" are mutually exclusive or something.

Speak for yourself, pussy. :01:

pleasedelete
12-26-2013, 09:13 PM
2. No need for insults if you believe that people should just scurry into holes like rats as opposed to being willing to suffer the possible consequences of their actions.Next rodent question. :)

I don't know what your problem is or what the above is supposed to mean if anything.

I asked nicely for my email to be taken down since i have not posted it, i have nothing to do with this site and i have nothing to do with the reddit post that is linked. These where done to troll me and i do not want it to be on this forum. It's a simple request, there is nothing of value in this thread and it would not harm anyone to just remove it.

Happy Holidays

pleasedelete
12-27-2013, 10:51 AM

I don't know what your problem is or what the above is supposed to mean if anything.

I asked nicely for my email to be taken down since i have not posted it, i have nothing to do with this site and i have nothing to do with the reddit post that is linked. These where done to troll me and i do not want it to be on this forum. It's a simple request, there is nothing of value in this thread and it would not harm anyone to just remove it.

Happy Holidays

Apparently some admin was here deleting posts, i still don't understand why you refuse to help me and ignore me, please contact me about this matter, i would really appreciate your help.

megabyteme
12-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Not much gets deleted here for content unless it's boring. :idunno: You could try contacting the individual who posted your email address and ask him to edit the post. You should have PM privileges soon.

Judging from his post history, he seems like he was just trying to help people in the NZB section. I doubt he meant anything malicious.

user3240
12-27-2013, 01:32 PM
I deleted his E Mail address because I don't think it's important to the thread. It's still on Reddit if anybody cares.

pleasedelete
12-27-2013, 03:25 PM
I deleted his E Mail address because I don't think it's important to the thread. It's still on Reddit if anybody cares.

Thank you kind sir. I really appreciate it. Like i said, i have no idea why someone posted this on reddit and here, i get mails all the time that are encrypted and i have no idea how to read them. I just want the spam to stop. Unfortunately reddit does not delete anything and the user that posted this was deleted :angry:

Have a great new Year!