PDA

View Full Version : Case Front Panel Audio Dont Match Audio Header

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 01:52 AM
i bought a cheap case from a site called amamax.com (great service) and the front audio wires dont match w/ the pins for the header in the manual for my mobo . and the audio header (is that whats its called?) on my also cheap mobo has the a jumper cap (or whatever its called lol) on pin 7 and 8. should i just do the old "guess and check" method?

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 02:21 AM
i know this is a forum and i post this less then half an hour ago so i shouldnt expecet an aswer but

*bump* :lol:

Evil Gemini
11-22-2003, 02:38 AM
:lol: :lol:

This can be a great pain in the ass. I recently built a pc for my cousin and i had this same problem.

The best way is to find out what each pin is on both the motherboard and the case by looking up the pin layout for the motherboard and the case on google.

You could connect them while the pc is on playing an mp3 with trial and error. (bro did this) but only do it if you a sure you can do this because if you short your board out then your fucked.

:lol:

clocker
11-22-2003, 02:41 AM
Can you be more specific?
What board do you have and can you find a link to the manual so we can see the header arrangment?
Are the connectors from your case front all single pin connectors (God, I HATE those things!)?

What connections are you trying to make? I'm guessing mic, headphones and maybe USB?

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 03:33 AM
yes the connectin is the front panel mic and headphone port.

heres a pic of the manuel

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/211103-ypsmsldkfg;lsdkfgh.gif

ya and my thing is the single connector......hmmm and so is my front usb wires <_< ;)

and the wires pins said.

Mic in L
Mic in R
Grn
L out
R out
Grn

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 04:11 AM
oh and should i be worried if my system wont turn on right now? (only case, psu, and mobo) or do i need the cpu to be able to make the system boot/post

clocker
11-22-2003, 04:16 AM
Well the good news is that none of these connectors are actively powered so I think that worst that can happen is the plugs won&#39;t work.
The bad news is it looks like a "plug and pray" situation to me.

Has the board already been installed in the case?
When I built mine I hooked everything up on the bench first.
It was alot easier and faster to fiddlefuck around with those ridiculous single pin connectors when I could actually see and get my chubby hands to them. At least that way you will know that it is possible to make the little buggers work before you get too far along.

_John_Lennon_
11-22-2003, 05:40 AM
Im almost positive it will POST without the CPU, but you will get the beep errors saying that you dont have one in, and you cant go any further.

clocker
11-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Who said anything about no CPU?
I&#39;m talking about assembling everything.

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 09:08 AM
whoaaaaa it will post w/o cpu? cuz i nothiing is happening when i press the power buttong on the case.

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@22 November 2003 - 05:40
Im almost positive it will POST without the CPU, but you will get the beep errors saying that you dont have one in, and you cant go any further.
quick, somebody tell me that hes wrong. plz plz. or im gonna have to get a new motherboard or a new psu. becuz right now its not posting

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2003, 02:13 PM
It won&#39;t post without a CPU.

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@22 November 2003 - 14:13
yay.....unless you are being sarcastic <_< :o ;) :lol:

clocker
11-22-2003, 03:04 PM
No, he&#39;s being truthful.

I am guessing that you don&#39;t have the CPU in hand yet?

Sounds like you don&#39;t.
When you get it install the chip, heatsink, memory and video card (if you aren&#39;t using onboard video), hook the PSU main connector up and the front case on/off switch and it will POST ( well, it should, at any rate..).
Do this with the motherboard laying outside of the case ( I use the antistatic bag that the board came wrapped in to lay it on...).
If it POSTs then add the rest of the components one at a time, checking for POST after each.
Then hook up all of your front panel connectors.
You should now have a complete computer laying out like an eviscerated samurai.

Then install the board into the case, confident that all the components work and you have a good idea where the little connectors go.
It sounds like a pain, but it can save you time in the long run...

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 03:11 PM
no but i will get it in 4 days thanks to newegg.

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by clocker@22 November 2003 - 15:04
No, he&#39;s being truthful.

I am guessing that you don&#39;t have the CPU in hand yet?

Sounds like you don&#39;t.
When you get it install the chip, heatsink, memory and video card (if you aren&#39;t using onboard video), hook the PSU main connector up and the front case on/off switch and it will POST ( well, it should, at any rate..).
Do this with the motherboard laying outside of the case ( I use the antistatic bag that the board came wrapped in to lay it on...).
If it POSTs then add the rest of the components one at a time, checking for POST after each.
Then hook up all of your front panel connectors.
You should now have a complete computer laying out like an eviscerated samurai.

Then install the board into the case, confident that all the components work and you have a good idea where the little connectors go.
It sounds like a pain, but it can save you time in the long run...
ty for the tip. but what in the hell is a
eviscerated samurai :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh and if i had already installed the mobo should i just unscrew it and take it out then?

clocker
11-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Sorry about that, just showing off.

Yes, I would remove the board.
I find it easier to install the CPU and heatsink out of the case anyway.

All the leads from my PSU were long enough to reach the components outside of the case...yours may not be.
It&#39;s only four screws to remove the PSU, so it&#39;s not a big deal to remove if you must...

Virtualbody1234
11-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by raiserblade2003+22 November 2003 - 09:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (raiserblade2003 &#064; 22 November 2003 - 09:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@22 November 2003 - 14:13
yay.....unless you are being sarcastic <_< :o ;) :lol:[/b][/quote]
Why would you think I was being sarcastic? I didn&#39;t even use any smilies.

raiserblade2003
11-22-2003, 04:56 PM
i dunno beuz my previous post was beggin for somebody to say taht so i though.....