PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering if anyone uses Osiris?

mydark
08-05-2013, 10:44 PM
After the recent tor debacle I saw a post where someone recommend software called Osiris (which is a P2P based forum/indexer). It's completely decentralized and you navigate the website in your browser which connects to a service on your own computer. I downloaded the software and it seems pretty nice but I don't seem to see anybody using it and I never heard of it before. Are there actual sites that use it? Has anybody here used it? It doesn't appear to be a dead project but there sure doesn't seem to be any updates?

piercerseth
08-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I haven't myself, although the concept is interesting. Quick aside on TOR: the infrastructure is fine (w/ the conceit that many of the exit nodes are monitored), it's the users running javascript enabled browsers that allowed the firefox 0day to succeed. Along with whatever weakness the gov't used to leverage Freedom Hosting to serve said sploit. Total pebkac.

mydark
08-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I had the same idea for this type of software a few months back except I didn't know this existed. I don't know how this software passes data (closed source not finding much on it) but in my concept the data was just json being transferred. The software was responsible for displaying the portal which included if the site could use JS. The user could also disable JS for any site since the data passed was just json, the software decided how it was presented. The actual site had no ability to call JS itself so the exploit used wouldn't be possible in my scenario without compromising the client software. With this project I don't know how much interest there is in this type of software since I never heard of this software before.