PDA

View Full Version : Newznab Index (nmatrix) resorts to Panhandling!

user3240
08-13-2013, 07:39 AM
>nMatrix needs your help - Covering server costs

I'm not a fan of asking about this, but I'd really like to make sure we have all our bases covered by the end of August. Since launching the server costs have almost doubled. The generous user donations/ upgrades have been used 100% for server costs but things are running a little dry :( I'd prefer not to go into the figures, but to cover costs for the next 6 months are only 8% there.

Anyones help is much appreciated! I'd honestly be happy covering the costs myself but the finances are tight at the moment.

Payment options are available on the site [https://www.nmatrix.co.za/], alternatively drop me a PM. Thanks everyone!

EDIT Invites are open for a limited time.<

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lol.........There are probably 40 of these Newznab sites and some guy in South Africa has resorted to virtual panhandling on Reddit. Who cares if his frigging index takes a dump? Why did he open an index if he was under-capitalized?

Panhandling on Reddit to save an index?? If only it were so easy for the children starving in North Africa.

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/1k7h3z/nmatrix_needs_your_help_covering_server_costs/

piercerseth
08-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Speaking of, I don't know what smackdown is getting at with what I assume is providing aggregated block accounts, but goddamn if you're going to go all harebrained scheme while asking for money--THAT's the way to do it.

user3240
08-14-2013, 10:59 PM
It looks like smackdownonyou.com is going for one hell of a moneygrab. From a poster on Reddit:

WG47 3 points 3 hours ago

Yeah, they'll just be running a usenet proxy on a server, with multiple upstream accounts. When people start hammering it, it'll be slow so they'll have to have multiple servers, and the usenet providers will start banning their accounts due to the amount of traffic they're doing, assuming they're using monthly unlimited accounts.

If, on the other hand, they're using block accounts, which probably wouldn't be a TOS violation, at least morally because you've paid for everything you download at a pre-agreed rate, the cheapest I've seen a block account is the equivalent of 3.2c/GB. Most other block providers are double that, at least.

Tack on the infrastructure costs (their "gateway" NNTP servers), and the numbers just don't add up. Your $75 will eventually have bought you far less than $75's worth of block accounts transfer, and will probably be shut down long before you get there. Just get your own block accounts.

If you're having problems with files/releases being DMCA'd, set up sab or something similar and automatically download stuff as soon they're posted. I do, and I always grab stuff (mostly TV) before they have a chance to DMCA it.

Giving $75 to an indexer (which aren't the most stable of enterprises at the best of times) for them to spend breaking usenet providers' TOSes isn't a good investment.

If you really want to do something like this, do it with a few friends, and run sabnzbd (or multiple instances of, to separate everyone's downloads) on a half-decent VPS or a small dedicated server. Keep it small, stay under the radar.

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/1kczwj/is_the_smackdownonyou_upgrade_offer_worth_it/

coreeons
08-15-2013, 12:19 AM
It looks like smackdownonyou.com is going for one hell of a moneygrab. From a poster on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/1kczwj/is_the_smackdownonyou_upgrade_offer_worth_it/

I get spam emails almost weekly from SmackDownOnYou (their newest email below).

Dear SDoY User,

We will allow one more day for people to upgrade at the sale price, this is the very last time we will be offering this for some time to come. The only reason we are doing this is numerous amounts of people are e-mailing me asking for an extension because they missed the mail over the weekend.

For those of you who still are having trouble understanding what the upgrade will bring you... Here is a brief summary. Basically we have a farm of around 30 usenet accounts spread accross several different providers at the moment. These can be added as backups in your newsreader which will grab missing blocks that your main provider does not have. This will help you complete more of your releases, and will also give you a boost in speed. We have and will continuously add more accounts for usage as the need arises. Basically this service will save you around $100 a month if you tried to do this yourself, so the service does more then pay for itself, and we have had nothing but great compliments from this feature. TODAY will be the last day that we will allow current users to upgrade their accounts at this price rate. The prices will be raising to $75 upgrade fee for current users, and $125 for new users starting Tomorrow!. So if you wish to upgrade now at this price, we recommend doing it immediatly. This price raise will allow us to keep this service under control, and allow us to expand the accounts available above and beyond expectations! Unsubscribe Here

Thank You,
DJP (SDoY Admin)

So their membership is going from now $75 to $125.

For some reason I have lifetime membership without paying for it, no clue. But even with that, I still get spammed weekly with emails. I never use the account, only to check it what's going on when more info is talked about on reddit.

There newest "thing" this whole proxy middle man, much like real-debrid and alldebrid, only offer one connection per user. Even tho a few who have access to it, are using 4+ connections. So far, from reading their thread it's just Astraweb unlimited account, FrugalUsenet, TweakNews, NewsDemon, NewzRazor and Thundernews and that many users have signed up and haven't got access yet.

But wasn't their another service like this before?

ramu786
08-15-2013, 01:03 AM
i agree..i would never that much for indexer unless they offer gold in return. Why do they charge so much ???

CyberCitizen
08-15-2013, 03:20 AM
I Have Multiple Usenet Accounts, Not One Has Been Paid For As Such And I Still Get Better Connections Than What They Are Offering.

I have 5 connections included with my ISP. I have the HitNews Trial constantly updating automatically, as well as the newsfinders updating automatically & thanks to Sandman I also have the xenna news test account as well.

Combined I have decent coverage, max out my connection & I have two lifetime block accounts that hardly get touched which cost me $10. Yet they are expecting people to pay $75-125. That is a joke. Although there are people out there that will pay for things, so they must be making money some how.

pootystomp
08-15-2013, 03:45 AM
I don't know what this $75 or $125 shit is. I do use the service on occasion to pull files and have a lifetime membership but it cost $10 at the time and now it's $15. Nice thing about the site is direct link dls on search page. But Indexers definately shouldn't meddle in hosting content "peices."

piercerseth
08-15-2013, 04:01 AM
I Have Multiple Usenet Accounts, Not One Has Been Paid For As Such And I Still Get Better Connections Than What They Are Offering.

I have 5 connections included with my ISP. I have the HitNews Trial constantly updating automatically, as well as the newsfinders updating automatically & thanks to Sandman I also have the xenna news test account as well.

Combined I have decent coverage, max out my connection & I have two lifetime block accounts that hardly get touched which cost me $10. Yet they are expecting people to pay $75-125. That is a joke. Although there are people out there that will pay for things, so they must be making money some how. We've been going about this the wrong the way. I bet if you, myself, and a few others combined our blocks and alts and charge $150! (higher price = greater perceived value) we'd get a whole bunch of bites. It's really pants-on-head retarded, but I do applaud him for trying it and (apparently) getting some users to sign up. Expensive lessons ahead.