PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb + block account combo

the mighty
08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm using alt.binz to download files, and I heard that using a block account along with my unlimited astraweb connection was a good way of avoiding incomplete downloads. How exactly would this work? For example, I downloaded something yesterday that got to 100% with astraweb with no error messages, but then failed extraction. How would I made alt.binz aware that the file is incomplete on astraweb, and then attempt to download the files from my block account? Can anyone help?

coreeons
08-13-2013, 10:01 PM
My main is astraweb, I have a few backup block accounts.

I'd vote for tweaknews.eu, as they currently do manual takedown request. Astraweb is a automated system for takedowns, so go tweaknews to give yourself some more time.

For alt.binz just have to add a backup account -> https://i.imgur.com/O8HgKOE.jpg

Image from this article -> http://planetusenet.cc/how-to-use-backup-servers

alt.binz, should do the same as other nzb clients. On missing blocks, it should access the backup server(s) and try and download the missing blocks from there.

piercerseth
08-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Under 'servers' you would add your backup provider(s) and then click "Add as backup" and then tick the check box on that new entry to make it active. If the program can't grab the article on your primary it'll switch. However--alt.binz isn't currently smart enough to stick with the backup and finish the set that way; it'll hop back and forth while checking. At least with 0.39.4. I haven't coughed up money for the latest version yet.

EDIT: Slowpoked, coreeons beat me to it.

the mighty
08-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. But how will Alt.binz know that the file is incomplete on Astraweb, and that it should use my block account? Sometimes when Alt.binz knows that there aren't enough PARS to repair my download it will pause the download, but more often it downloads the whole thing and it's only when I extra it that I realize that the download is incomplete. Will alt.binz still be able to detect that it needs to download from my block account?

sandman_1
08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Because if it tries to fetch the article, the news server will respond with something like, "423 article not found", and then the client will try the back-up servers in your list.

Beck38
08-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Of course, the first thing to do is put in the 'opposite' Astra server in as your secondary server (if US first, then EU next or vise versa) and then your 'fills' server(s) using the same schema (us/eu) if there are dual or multiple servers with any of the filss.

Wring out the possibility with your unlimited account first, then the 'cheap' or close account(s) next, then the hard to maintain or costly account(s) last.