PDA

View Full Version : Sharing my own video files

nanaplaza
08-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to share videos (i have about 30 x 1GB) with people over the net.

Not sure if my best option is to go with storage sites like google drive/dropbox, or whether to use file sharing sites like rapidshare? Is there any obvious speed/cost advantages with either?

I would like to give these people a password to enable them to download one video, and then be able to change that password to stop the file being too easily shared.

Would I be able to get multiple free (2GB?) accounts....or should I expect to pay for this?

justlooking
08-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Google Drive has 15GB of free space per email account, so if you have a few, you have enough space. The issue is how many downloads will there be, because every cloud service has some kind of a download bandwidth limit. If not many, then Google is very fast and nothing paid is needed. If you're trying to share pirated stuff to lots of people on a busy website, then no one will allow you the huge bandwidth to do that. Google doesn't have password protection, but instead has permissions for chosen gmail account holders. Not what you prefer, but it's free.

nanaplaza
08-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply.

So if I have multiple email accounts...I can have multiple lots of 15GB free space?

The material is my own. I don't expect too many downloads per film at this stage. If I do get a lot of people willing to pay, then I won't mind paying for more space.
The 'permissions' system looks interesting. I would like to give a user 48 hrs to download and then close access (make the file Private again). I hope that is possible.

DngrMs
08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
mega.co.nz

50GB free + encryption

byrnesc1
08-25-2013, 10:49 PM
With 1 email account you could sign up for multiple different services too. Copy.com gives you 15gb off the bat I know. Box and skydrive are always having promotions and stuff. I sign up for as much free storage in different places as possible whenever I see a good deal. I manage them all with a platform called SMEStorage.

tl;dr go with cloud sharing.

filepanzer
08-31-2013, 11:28 AM
you can't upload a 1Gb video to an email account, attached files are limited to 25 Mb (gmail, hotmail, yahoo...)
in other hand you can find websites that offer such a capacity, try http://uploaded.net , http://mediafire.com , http://filepanzer.com ....

xored
09-23-2013, 05:19 PM
File sharing site can delete your videos without explanation (they also can just disappear). Better to go with services like dropbox/google drive/yandex drive/etc. If your videos wont receive dmca complaints - you will be safe.

irenerose
09-24-2013, 06:47 AM
Hi, in my own opinion I suggest you check www.filevice.com. It's a file sharing site, it has free account thought you can try the paid account, cheap but very reliable. You can simply share your files. Dropbox is nice too.

megabyteme
09-29-2013, 01:12 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply.

So if I have multiple email accounts...I can have multiple lots of 15GB free space?

The material is my own. I don't expect too many downloads per film at this stage. If I do get a lot of people willing to pay, then I won't mind paying for more space.
The 'permissions' system looks interesting. I would like to give a user 48 hrs to download and then close access (make the file Private again). I hope that is possible.

You might be better off giving us more details on what you are selling/sharing. There are a lot of options, and someone may be able to find you something that is best suited to your plans.

You seem to be selling something that you own the rights to. Professional appearance (delivery) will be a plus for your project.

nanaplaza
10-04-2013, 02:06 PM
My films are 'Holiday Trip reports' from the Far East (Nightlife, girls, bars). Playing around with different render settings i now see that to retain decent quality, these 90 min films will be about 2.8GB each.

I looked into password protection...i think the way to go in Encryption (either with 7zip or Truecrypt). Anyone can then access the files, but only buyers can open with a password. It also stops the cloud storage providers from snooping.

I would guess initially to have around 10-20 downloads a month. Amazon S3 looks interesting...they only charge for bandwidth used.

If encryption solves the security problem...the issues left are price and speed. Google Drive sounds attractive. Can you get multiple accounts or do they put a limit on each PC (otherwise people would just open numerous gmail accounts and get terabytes of space).
Bandwidth limit on dropbox is 20Gb a day for free accounts, so i guess google drive is similar.

LemOnzoo
10-05-2013, 10:12 AM
ulozto.net is god host. They don't delete nothing. You can also protect your file with password inside site.

sflcnetwork
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
try upbooth.com, premium voucher code: MYUPBOOTH7, will get you 7 days premium absolutely free

megabyteme
10-07-2013, 07:47 PM
My films are 'Holiday Trip reports' from the Far East (Nightlife, girls, bars). Playing around with different render settings i now see that to retain decent quality, these 90 min films will be about 2.8GB each.

I looked into password protection...i think the way to go in Encryption (either with 7zip or Truecrypt). Anyone can then access the files, but only buyers can open with a password. It also stops the cloud storage providers from snooping.

Certainly you will be hearing from a user here by the name of mjmacky.

As for "only buyers will be able to open"- not so much. This is a community based on "sharing". 2.8 GB X 500 users who have shared your pw on a forum could get expensive for your small project.

LemOnzoo
10-08-2013, 02:42 PM
All file host have option to change name of the file.

So when you share file called (for example): "Xmass_dinner.rar", after you share it to them, you can rename it to: "121313_Xmass_dinner.rar"

slemosokick
10-08-2013, 03:41 PM
rapidshare is expensive.

megabyteme
10-08-2013, 04:11 PM
All file host have option to change name of the file.

So when you share file called (for example): "Xmass_dinner.rar", after you share it to them, you can rename it to: "121313_Xmass_dinner.rar"

If someone shared his link and his password, I doubt many would be fooled by the name change. Also, since he would be paying for the bandwidth, every one of the downloaders would incur an expense for him- whether they could view the 2.8GB file, or not.

nanaplaza
10-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I could update the truecrypt/7zip password after every download to keep it being shared. Changing the file name...would this break the original link to the file? Could be an idea.

Many file sharing services have bandwidth limits. If too many ppl download they will get an error message. Would many ppl really take the chance on a 2.8GB file? Surely that's quite a bit of waiting...even for a fast connection?

megabyteme
10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
If it seems too chintzy, people may avoid purchasing altogether. Or, maybe, with the clientele you are likely to attract, it could be a plus. Who knows? :idunno:

LemOnzoo
10-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Changing the file name...would this break the original link to the file? Could be an idea.I checked at ulozto.net, and they have possibility of changing password inside host.

removalsexpert
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
You Should to use Google Drive

overdrive
11-04-2013, 01:48 PM
One thing to remember is the USA NSA has been hacking Yahoo and Google cloud email accounts to the tune of system storage overload. Yes they are getting so much information that they are not able to process it all in anything near real time. Just a thought ..... Just saw this in an article the other day.... Good luck with your project!

tranceology3
11-07-2013, 03:50 AM
Bitcasa...you can send links!

nanaplaza
11-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I have started using google drive. I uploaded a 720p 90min file with average bitrate of 5mbps. The file size was 3.2GB.

It took absolutely ages to upload (I'm obviously on slow internet connection)...but ppl have download in times of between 90 and 30 mins, so it's fine once it's up.

I placed in a 7zip folder password protected so I could control who has access. It seems that I can have a google drive account for every gmail account I have (my gmail accounts are not linked)...so in theory I can keep using free space.
Seems odd...perhaps ppl are mainly using it to sync their own documents and it's too much trouble to keep changing accounts?

megabyteme
11-08-2013, 11:10 PM
I placed in a 7zip folder password protected so I could control who has access

Unless someone uploads that file with the password. Or uploads it unprotected. :whistling

One thing to remember is the USA NSA has been hacking Yahoo and Google cloud email accounts to the tune of system storage overload. Yes they are getting so much information that they are not able to process it all in anything near real time. Just a thought ..... Just saw this in an article the other day.... Good luck with your project!

http://blogs.computerworld.com/cybercrime-and-hacking/23090/google-security-team-drops-f-bombs-nsa-internal-google-cloud-data-surveillance