PDA

View Full Version : Gingadaddy sold!!

user3240
08-31-2013, 05:00 PM
For those of you who think PAYSITES are run out of the kindness of the owners heart............

PR 1 NZB Site with 28,246 uniques/mo making $2,576/mo
gingadaddy.com

Site for sale screenshot
Watch This
Sold at Public Auction
$21,000
Bidding History: 4 bids

Started:
1 month ago
Completed:
16 days ago

https://flippa.com/2951107-pr-1-nzb-site-with-28-246-uniques-mo-making-2-576-mo

ng4ever
08-31-2013, 10:22 PM
For those of you who think PAYSITES are run out of the kindness of the owners heart............

PR 1 NZB Site with 28,246 uniques/mo making $2,576/mo
gingadaddy.com

Site for sale screenshot
Watch This
Sold at Public Auction
$21,000
Bidding History: 4 bids

Started:
1 month ago
Completed:
16 days ago

Yep doesn't surprise me next up is Dognzb.

Though I reported Dognzb to Joe Morganelli he said the site will be down by next year! I sure hope so. The people on Dognzb are dicks. They want war I will gladly give it to them. Stupid bastards.

stan
09-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Though I reported Dognzb to Joe Morganelli

and I thought the retards was in Bit torrent

ng4ever
09-01-2013, 12:33 AM
They did me wrong now it is time to do them wrong. Dognzb doesn't get away that easily of what they did to me. Sorry. They deserve everything they get.

stan
09-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Looks from this end it was a finely judged preemptive strike against a half-wit.

You just don't do things like that . Get out out of filesharing and take up reading comics.

usersname
09-03-2013, 04:01 PM
They did me wrong now it is time to do them wrong. Dognzb doesn't get away that easily of what they did to me. Sorry. They deserve everything they get.

I cannot believe what I have just read!!

Dirty, no good Snitch!!

ng4ever
09-03-2013, 05:18 PM

Dirty, no good Snitch!!

Glad you think of it that way. :)

Arguti
09-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Yep doesn't surprise me next up is Dognzb.

Though I reported Dognzb to Joe Morganelli he said the site will be down by next year! I sure hope so. The people on Dognzb are dicks. They want war I will gladly give it to them. Stupid bastards.

You know it's time to get outside and breathe a little of fresh air when one starts a quest of revenge against a torrent/nzb site.

user3240
09-03-2013, 06:24 PM
We already have a Dog thread. This thread was supposed to be about Gingadaddy.

Cabalo
09-03-2013, 10:28 PM
It's a hard job having customers in the piracy world...

s6h9i
09-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Interesting, is there any cause for concern as far as users' records go? Are there any other implications to consider when there's a hand off of this sort?

MysticRiffs
09-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Interesting, is there any cause for concern as far as users' records go? Are there any other implications to consider when there's a hand off of this sort?

The answer is either yes or no, mate, depending on whether you're simply accessing stuff for personal consumption (in which case, no one's interested), or attempt to profit on material that you don't have the rights to profit on (in which case, I hope you're reading this on your Tor Browser). Also consider that the law actually protects consumers more than the media would like to let on. I can't speak for any other country but in Australia, at the time of writing, it's perfectly legal for me to get anything with a tv station logo on it, as I'm allowed to get the telly, store it for an indeterminate period, so that I may watch it at my leisure. I'm also allowed to get bluray copies, but only if I already own such copies. The weirdest thing about Aussie law is that, while I'm allowed to have digital backups of my movies and tv shows, I'm still currently (although they're reviewing the stupidity of that law) not allowed to break encryption, which actually forces me to use the usenet in a completely legitimate fashion.

As I say, though, you need to check your personal circumstances for your particular residency, and the onus is on us to stay current with those laws if they change.

Hope this helps.

Vestibule
09-04-2013, 02:14 AM

Dirty, no good Snitch!!

Glad you think of it that way. :)

Seriously.... very selfish and short-sighted...

usersname
09-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Dognzb staff are fully aware of this twat - They have him labelled as a 12yr old Troll :)

piercerseth
09-04-2013, 11:58 AM
What a shitty thing to do. Completely ineffectual. All that'll accomplish is hurt the community as a whole.

user3240
09-04-2013, 01:41 PM
What a shitty thing to do. Completely ineffectual. All that'll accomplish is hurt the community as a whole.

Ineffectual is the right word. I was involved with payment processors for years. If you want to really hurt a "questionable" merchant, that's what you go after. It helps to not telegraph what you are planning on doing to your enemy.

Anyway, what do you guys think the new owners of Ginga are going to do? They can only make money by selling new memberships. Current ones are lifetime. Will they try to squeeze existing customers? Will they go to an annual fee?

DngrMs
09-04-2013, 07:15 PM

Yep, I agree with everyone else, this was a dick move. Not only did you do something dumb out of spite, you did something utterly meaningless.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" only applies when that "friend" isn't your enemy in the first place. :rolleyes:

Not cool fool.

ng4ever
09-05-2013, 04:51 AM
Dognzb staff are fully aware of this twat - They have him labelled as a 12yr old Troll :)

That because they started it. I could care a less what they think. Dognzb give my money back anyway so everything is cool.

Don't want to be part of a site where one mod thinks he has all the control. It is not the owner of Dognzb either. Mother nature will get him. When I read about a tornado, flood, or earthquake getting him I will laugh.

s6h9i
09-05-2013, 07:09 AM

That because they started it. I could care a less what they think. Dognzb give my money back anyway so everything is cool.

Don't want to be part of a site where one mod thinks he has all the control. It is not the owner of Dognzb either. Mother nature will get him. When I read about a tornado, flood, or earthquake getting him I will laugh.

Do you really not understand how foolish you sound? Wishing ill will on someone because of a few measly dollars or a conversation gone sour. I wish you nothing but the best so please consider stepping away from your computer and reevaluate your life for the better. Cheers

usersname
09-05-2013, 09:05 AM
That because they started it

You Selfish, Immature Twat! - Grow up FFS!!

kobkob
09-05-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't get it. they sold the site ownership? that's it? what's the big deal?
How it will get to us? the simple users? the site is still up and running to me, I dont really care who's the owner of it. maybe cause I didnt donate anything. and apperantly I got there some invites, aswell.

coreeons
09-05-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't get it. they sold the site ownership? that's it? what's the big deal?
How it will get to us? the simple users? the site is still up and running to me, I dont really care who's the owner of it. maybe cause I didnt donate anything. and apperantly I got there some invites, aswell.

Well the users base had trust with the sysadmin/staff/etc that ran the site.

With new owners, it becomes a issue of trust, that they will continue to do the same thing.

Much like with private torrent trackers, the user base may not be "sure" to trust them, when new owners take ownership of the site.

It is good to see that they did look for someone to take over, as I guess many of them are too busy in their lives.

I hope they continue work on their api features. Only time will tell.

user3240
09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Their API features are like their servers. Very "iffy" sometimes. That site needs a lot of improvement to become one of the top Nzb sites.

coreeons
09-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Their API features are like their servers. Very "iffy" sometimes. That site needs a lot of improvement to become one of the top Nzb sites.

True they have been buggy, but I hope that "maybe" over time they will get it working better.

I don't know anything about the new owner(s) and haven't heard much about their goal for the site. Other than they want to keep it going.

I do know the past owner(s)/staff member(s) well continue to work on the site. At what level I am not sure.

Also I wonder if lifetime membership will continue there (I have a lifetime member there) or if the new owner will reset that.

Much like what happened with NZBRUS.

Broken
09-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't see how new ownership can hope to turn enough profit to even cover server cost if they don't retool the subscription structure.
If everyone's already paid in, all they will ever pay in - assuming the site is at near saturation. I believe it's obvious that cash reserves are not following the transition.

Maybe that's why the site was sold, to wring the last drops of profit s out of it. Wouldn't be the first or last time.
Once the cash flow drys up, it's all over.

Racoon
09-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Just received this PM at Gingadaddy

'We are sending this email to give you a heads up about taking full advantage of all GingaDADDY has to offer before VIP membership prices and policies change. Due to a large investment made in new management, increased demand and costs there will be an increase in VIP pricing and a decrease in Free Membership privileges.

First, we want to give you the opportunity as a restricted Free Member to obtain a VIP membership with all it has to offer while the unlimited download for 10 years for $10 donation is available. On October 15th, 2013 a VIP unlimited download renewal period will be decreased from 10 year renewals to one year renewals and the donation amount will be increased to $15.

Another reason to take advantage of the unlimited download for 10 years for $10 donation prior to October 15th, 2013 is due that the number of downloads available to those with a free memberships will be lowered from 5 downloads per day to 2 NZB downloads per day. Free memberships will also be limited to downloading NZBs that are 25 days old or less.'

asdam4n
09-16-2013, 03:46 AM
I don't see how new ownership can hope to turn enough profit to even cover server cost if they don't retool the subscription structure.

Ah well, that's that one answered. :D

ng4ever
09-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Same thing that will happen to Dognzb.

Broken
09-16-2013, 05:18 PM
I think however bought the site got screwed. I've seen the number 22K floating around, and that's a heck of an amount to try and recover.
Exspcially considering the gray area the site lives in. Getting too popular can be deadly. It's just not a good long term investment. I just hope the new ownership had a plan going into this. If not dissappointing numbers, or various legal issues may end a reasonably good site.

Doesn't mean the site might not last. I remember back in the day, the current owner of this site (Brian) was tricked into buying this site with inflated revenue numbers. But we're still here. ;)

user3240
09-16-2013, 06:58 PM
I could not believe the 21K price either. In addition to NZB sites being "questionable," how do they get their investment back? Sure, maybe a lot of the free members get a VIP in the next 30 days. Maybe not. Why would anybody pay $15.00 a year for Gingadaddy? With all those "lifetime" memberships , there is no new revenue stream. I have a feeling some people are going to get screwed. Will it be the new owners or the subscribers?

Villalobos
09-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Why would someone put 21k on the table for some random usenet related website? If that number is really true, someone needs to get a better financial adviser...

user3240
09-17-2013, 03:28 AM
Why would someone put 21k on the table for some random usenet related website? If that number is really true, someone needs to get a better financial adviser...

According to their Flippa page:

Description

17500 Registered users,

5,566 VIPs,

670,000 NZBs,

Huge Community of loyal followers, trusted moderators and keen uploaders.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have about 12,000 non-vips. They are probably thinking that if they can get 2,000 of them to fork over for a VIP between now and the post Oct 15th price hike, they get their investment back the 1st month. Problem is, there is no sense of urgency to buy into an indexer right now. That and fierce competition is going to make it tough.

Villalobos
09-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Yeah exactly. Thanks for clearing that up.

azamigo
09-18-2013, 01:03 AM
I note that they're now hanging out the users to scalp for more $ to make up for the purchase... including demanding ransom before the Oct 15 deadline where they'll ratchet down the number of free downloads to non-vip members.

piercerseth
09-18-2013, 02:40 AM
They have about 12,000 non-vips. They are probably thinking that if they can get 2,000 of them to fork over for a VIP between now and the post Oct 15th price hike, they get their investment back the 1st month. Problem is, there is no sense of urgency to buy into an indexer right now. That and fierce competition is going to make it tough.
Assuming all 12K are active (seems optimistic), that's a 16.5% conversion rate. Which is utterly bananas.

user3240
09-18-2013, 02:57 AM
>Assuming all 12K are active (seems optimistic), that's a 16.5% conversion rate. Which is utterly bananas.<

LOL.....I was wondering when somebody would do the math. If all are active, a 5% conversion would only be 600/ $6,000. I would be surprised if 50% are still active. If they do 5% of the ones still active, they get $3,000. Is a 5% conversion rate too optimistic? I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out why anybody would pay 21K for a NZB indexer in today's environment.

Either they are stupid or have a moneygrab up their sleeves.

MysticRiffs
09-20-2013, 07:31 AM
My guess is a combo between price gouging existing/new members and advertising. That's a decent amount of traffic from which to beat the advertising drum.

user3240
04-23-2014, 11:15 PM
>My guess is a combo between price gouging existing/new members and advertising. That's a decent amount of traffic from which to beat the advertising drum.<

Gingadaddy always seems to go down once or twice a month for dubious reasons. It's been down for 4 days now. Anybody know what happened?

myself12345
04-23-2014, 11:21 PM
it hasn't been down for 4 days it went down Monday night not sure what happened its usually back up by now give it couple more days if still down then then start to worry

drakester
04-24-2014, 12:32 AM
>My guess is a combo between price gouging existing/new members and advertising. That's a decent amount of traffic from which to beat the advertising drum.<

Gingadaddy always seems to go down once or twice a month for dubious reasons. It's been down for 4 days now. Anybody know what happened?

Welcome to the circle of life when it comes to indexers... there's a big membership drive with lots of promises, and poof, they're gone. hakuna matata!

Stehle
04-24-2014, 02:59 AM
Welcome to the circle of life when it comes to indexers...

Thank you! :)

(Life is good!) :alien:

whattheheck
04-24-2014, 10:21 AM
$21k is a lot of money to most people, but when you are talking MPAA/RIAA, that barely covers an executive lunch.
It wouldn't surprise me if one of their shell companies bought it. The motive however is the kicker - would it be to harvest user information? Keep track of scene uploads so they can shut down the files at the provider level (e.g. Giganews)? It's anyones guess.
It wouldn't even surprise me if they acquire the site just to shut it down. Must be cheaper than legal fees. There wouldn't even be any way of stopping them unless you had wads of cash lying around.

myself12345
04-24-2014, 11:41 AM

user3240
04-24-2014, 03:11 PM
The "new" owners never introduced themselves. They even used Gingadaddy's login to post. Is it possible the "sale" was just a ploy so they could get free users to buy a lifetime membership before raising memberships to $15.00 a year?

When I joined around 2010 , it was $5.00 for a lifetime membership.

I doubt the authorities would buy it to gather names of users. It's not illegal to join a site. It's not illegal to download nzbs. Only your USP could log files downloaded and they only log uploads to Usenet.

torrentus
04-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow cool! Never thought that Nzb sites make so much sales a month, seems to be that the site was longer time online and gathered users over many years

vtec123
04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Hi Guys
So has GINGADADDY gone? Or is the web site down again like before?
Cheers?
Anyone recommend any other good sites.. or have any invites please.

lkravitz
04-24-2014, 07:37 PM
GingaDADDY is up again ;)

whattheheck
04-24-2014, 09:21 PM
The "new" owners never introduced themselves. They even used Gingadaddy's login to post. Is it possible the "sale" was just a ploy so they could get free users to buy a lifetime membership before raising memberships to $15.00 a year?

When I joined around 2010 , it was $5.00 for a lifetime membership.

I doubt the authorities would buy it to gather names of users. It's not illegal to join a site. It's not illegal to download nzbs. Only your USP could log files downloaded and they only log uploads to Usenet.

Yeah it was $10 for me. Not too bad I guess for ten years I guess.
Good points about the sites. As for the ISP, most people use encryption when downloading from Usenet, right? Then the ISP should have no way of knowing what was downloading, just a timestamp and maybe the size (if they wanted to log downloads at all?).

stuhere
04-25-2014, 05:31 AM
there was a fire at data center back up now