PDA

View Full Version : Usenet Traffic Originination by Country (Worldwide) Current Stistics

Beck38
09-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Every once in awhile, I trip over a site with Usenet Traffic analysis (there are several); I don't 'keep an eye' on such things as a general rule, but it does yank ones thinking somewhat as to why things as working (or not) in the world of the Usenet bucket-brigade.

If folks have been reading (read.. yea, what's that uh?) my recent postings on Giganews peering and such, it almost (ALMOST!?!) starts to make sense if one looks at the recent statistics.

The US is far an away the top originator of traffic, a bit over 4 times as much as the second source. It's that second source that's a head scratchier: Russia.

In fact, if one combines it and the third largest originator, Ukraine, together they are about 1/3rd as much traffic origination as the US. That may explain why GN and others have been changing their peering around (automated or otherwise) lately. Sheer bulk of traffic.

Another 'interesting' thing that pops out at one, is that the fourth largest originator is...Brazil. Yes, larger than the UK (but just barely), and yes, if one adds the UK together with some of the other European (western and eastern), like Poland, Romania, France, and tosses in some of the British commonwealth countries like Canada and Australia, their numbers begin to look pretty 'ok', about half of what the US generates.

I only took a look at one site for these numbers, but I'm sure that they are probably about correct no matter who is collecting them up. Them da*n commies are really going at it, and like I said, it does explain some of the goings on lately. I do know that lots of transmission companies have been working at breakneck speed to tie all of Europe to Russia with top of the line fiber constructs and large bandwidth pipes. That seems to be paying off in the Usenet numbers.

Oh, as usual, it's simply too darn early in the morning, and my fingers got crossed up (along with blurry eyesight) and yes, I mis-spelled 'statistics' and there apparently isn't any 'spell-check' on the thread titles. ?!**!?!!

Ellios
09-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Russia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine they love open source and viruses !!

interesting post!

Beck38
09-15-2013, 05:30 AM
On would have thunk that the size of the BD postings coming out of the US and UK et.al. would be blowing the Ruskies and their buds away, but there apparently is no end to p0rn and buggies.

Like I was saying, most of the big transmission firms are completing 100G wave pipes across Europe, whereas meanwhile the 'next wave' (so to speak) in both trans-oceanic and trans-continental transmission is 500G. I'd like to see the routers for this some day; when I retired (11 years ago) 10G ports were just being introduced in the largest routers that were made at the time. 100G is mind numbing and 500G is mind-blowing. There has to be a spot somewhere in the CPU's of those machines that is quite literally white hot, one where only cryogenic cooling is practical.

When the trading markets fall down go boom every once in awhile, what with all the super-speed trading going on these days, it all begins to make sense that some small part somewhere simply gives up and goes home.

I'm reminded every couple of months that the last system I helped design and put into operation (13 years ago) was a trans-pacific fiber running a bit below 1Tb. It's now running at 3.2Tb, and is being re-designed to hit 10+Tb sometime the first of next year. Now, who the **** is generating all this traffic? I pull up the specs from the folks providing the new equipment, and I get brain freeze. There truly is no such thing as 'enough' capacity between anywhere on the planet.

piercerseth
09-15-2013, 05:48 AM
Fascinating, I'd have figured the lion's share would be coming out of Netherlands, Germany, and that neck of the woods. Huh.

I hear the high frequency traders were in the process of, or had already migrated to microwave links, so as to eek out the couple tenths of a nanosecond they'd gain over fiber. Reading the wiki on dense WDM a short time ago, and it blows my mind what those cables are able to carry.

Hypatia
09-15-2013, 07:19 AM
I don't really get what value Usenet holds for Russians. Usenet has little to none Russian material. Of course, there are Russians who prefer to watch original movies, but I would say they are a minority. And they also have releasers and release groups who need original material so that they can mux Russian dub\subs into original source. And that's it.

Beck38
09-15-2013, 03:32 PM
My guess is like I said vis a vis the Ruskies: P0rn and trying to seed Viruses. There are a lot of groups (non-video) out there that I'm sure don't get much beyond short shrift from the folks here about, but it's got to be just tons of stuff.

All this terabit transmission has to be put a bit into perspective. I spent the first 15 or so years of my career doing nothing but microwave/satellite, and the fist major fiber projects were trans-continental systems for Sprint in the mid-80's. The 'standard' then (not just for Sprint but for AT&T as well) was all asynchronous, this was well before SONET or SDH. Biggest 'pipe' was 140Mb/s, or some 2016 64K voice channels. Regenerative repeaters every 30 or so miles, marching across the landscape. Then I went off for a few years and did nothing but satellite (digital). When I got back into fiber, everything new was SONET although there were still large scale async systems (in the 4-20K channel class) still lingering around, that I had 'missed' in the interim.

I spent a year upgrading MCI/Worldcom between NY/NJ and Boston, doing wide/narrow-band multi frequency upgrades, this is right before the major multi-spectral systems started being fielded. But running twin OC48 systems (2.4Gb/s) on the same fiber with high power laser pumps able to 'shoot' 100 miles was a 'really big deal' in those days.

The 500G/per wavelength systems being installed today can transmit from NY to LA without repeaters, maybe a couple light pumps. Millions of (potential) voice channels but of course most of the bandwidth is internet traffic. A lot of applications that were 'sci-fi' years ago are now becoming commonplace.

hogfish
09-16-2013, 02:23 AM
Brazil is not too surprising. It is a dense with pretty decent connectivity. While many of the north-western European countries are highly connected, they do not have Brazil's population numbers.

sandman_1
09-19-2013, 10:45 PM
This is the current Usenet stats that I could find.

Source: http://top1000.anthologeek.net/#stats

Beck38
09-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah, that's 'server' oriented (header count) rather than transmission (bits transferred) oriented, but the 'top 5' or so are about the same.

Erje.net (listed as #1) is really just a 'feeder' service located in the Netherlands, so the traffic flowing through them doesn't either originate or end there. So including them in their statistics is a bit of a misnomer, it's like as if Level3 started up a usenet feeder service in the US, had the majority of US-based traffic flowing through them, and then got listed.