PDA

View Full Version : When will torrent sites start adopting Bitcoin for their donations?

Cabalo
09-17-2013, 03:28 AM
It's like that. Paypal has been a recurrent issue for many sites, even leading to the its demise in some cases.
Now that bitcoin is slowly becoming mainstream why haven't yet some sites adopted bitcoin as an alternative donation method?
It's far more secure, transactions are unrefundable and the money is nearly untraceable.

Maybe coming up with better donation perks for those who embrace a bitcoin donation could start the movement towards this currency.

Just my 2 cents, would love to read some different perspectives on this.

Rart
09-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I don't know if you mean "why dont more sites use it" or "why dont any sites use it" but of couple of the trackers I frequent have started to use Bitcoin as a means of donating.

Im guessing it probably has a little bit with the unknown (as of right now) aspect of the currency. Tracker staff that haven't adopted it are probably a little hesitant to accept such a radically different form of payment. If it really does become more mainstream and perceived as reliable as time goes on, more staff would perhaps be willing to use it.

justlooking
09-17-2013, 06:36 PM
I think the volatility is scary. What kind of currency can go from $1 to $200 and back down again? Only the money in a nation in chaos. And here's a pub in Australia that takes bitcoins. Probably knew they'd be getting lots of publicity.

http://www.coindesk.com/australian-pub-accepts-bitcoin-sydney/

absent_today
09-18-2013, 04:30 AM
BTN recently started accepting them

stoi
09-19-2013, 04:46 PM
We accept them, but our hosts only accept paypal, be a lot easier if they accepted them as well, when they were about $1 each I got 17 of them from 4 donors (worth a bit now) but since they skyrocketed, i dont get any.

Paypal is also auto, they donate they get star and bonuses without any input, Bitcoin/Flattr etc etc isnt auto so the owner has to do it all manual, not too bad with only 4 donations in a year, but getting a few hundred can be a real pita, esp if they are only equivilant to pennies each. I dont have a clue what the hell to do with them either, still have to have a look at that, seems to be mostly a USA currency, or the sites seem to be that buy them. (i could be wrong on this now though)