PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb/US Flat on it's Face (Fall Down Go Boom)

Beck38
09-18-2013, 04:55 AM
Everyone here knows by now I watch Astraweb/US like a hawk, transferring 'stuff' back and forth just about 24/7.

At around 2120 Pacific Time tonight, it appears as though the entire plant there is flat on it's face; the error I was getting from them was 'peer not authenticated'; now, anyone who's used SSL with Astraweb knows that they utilize GoDaddy.com for the SSL connections, and it may be something with the interconnection with them or whatever, hard to troubleshoot from 'outside the loop'.

Be that as it may, they aren't transferring (in either direction) right now. It is looking like Astra/EU is still running ok, though.

About 40+minutes later, it all came back up. Of course, if this had happened at 3am in the morning, I'd have never known. I guess yet another wacky day as Astraweb!

coreeons
09-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Beck38, I saw the same thing tonight.

Got error 502 twice, thought something was wrong with my account.

But could pull headers no problem. Than it was back up, and soon after that I was getting error 400.

Now it seems to running again with no problems. It's the first time I've seen that happen.

Villalobos
09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Don't they have some kind of system status page? Or a way of communicating network/performance trouble? (I'm not an Astraweb customer)

Beck38
09-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh yeah, kinda, they'll get back to you in a day or two with 'say what? we didn't have any problems we saw'; Giganews has a 'real time' chat thingy, and the folks there are about as clueless as well.

So sure, there's someone there who answers up (eventually) but as far as someone who really watches the logs on a continual basis, they rely on their users and unless the building/leased area catches on fire, they really don't know (and really don't care).

Yep, this is probably the first time I've seen it so completely down in a LONG time, in that it was responding with some sort of error code, so it wasn't a transmission problem between the users and the plant. But since, it's been running okay (within some basic parameters).

user3240
09-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Hey Beck,

Are you still monitoring Astraweb? It looks like they have serious issues.

From Reddit:

>Im running a usenet indexer, and use astraweb for header retrieval. The last few days, tons of headers are missing. I wrote their support >some hours ago, but have not >heard back yet.

>Is anyone else also experiencing theese issues with astraweb ?

>im using the eu astraweb server.

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/1n71gu/astraweb_header_issues/

Beck38
09-27-2013, 04:50 AM
I rarely watch the EU server, as it's on the other side of the planet from me and I don't have access (being retired) to a 'prime' feed anymore.

If I had a decent fiber connection at my home, I might be able to see something, but as I said, the only time I really take a hard look is when the US plant is really having problems, and they haven't since I started this thread over a week ago. Now, GN has had a couple of good 'wobbles', but that's to be expected, kinda.

Hypatia
09-27-2013, 08:46 AM
EU server is having serious issues atm
The speed jumps from 3 MB (my usual maximum is 11MB) to 300+KB) When I was uploading several hours ago some stuff it was totally broken, I had to recheck headers in jbinup several times.

Beck38
09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
So far no problems NZBcc on eu from here, used to very slow response compared to the us plant here, of course (takes maybe 10-20 minutes to check a BD50 posting). But one can almost hear the bits moan as they crawl across the continents and oceans!
Realize that it takes 24hours to post something that size to begin with, and I usually wait another 24 before running cc check on both plants (while doing cursory checks on other servers).

UPDATE: Actually, I just completed a NZBcc check of several postings from the last couple of days, and they completed just fine (data was originally posted on Astraweb/US, 99.9+% completion), so if you're having problems you might look at the transmission path from you to the server plant. Mine follows Level3 (of course!) all the way from SF to NY, then to London and straight to Amsterdam and right into Astraweb/EU, no intermediate hops, just about as straight as one could have.