PDA

View Full Version : DMCA to Wireless Broadband

ciram
09-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Hi all -

Just wondering how copyright infringement bans can/cannot be applied to the increasing number of mobile broadband connections. With their speed increasing too, (WiMax, HSDUPA, LTE), surely some people will be using them for :w00t: things.

Simcards come in unregistered prepaid varieties in most countries, which are assigned dynamic IPs on top.

Ideas? I'd love to have a bit of a discussion about this.

Enjoy your sunday!

megabyteme
09-22-2013, 05:00 PM
If I understand correctly, there has only been one person "banned" from the internet for copyright violations. So far, no one really wants to be part of enforcing such bullshit. As for mobile broadband, these accounts are metered by the month, so using large amounts of bandwidth for movies (in particular) is cost prohibitive.

I did try to access FST from a major hospital's wifi recently and was informed by the system that I had, "Violated their core values". :cry:

IdolEyes787
09-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I did try to access FST from a major hospital's wifi recently and was informed by the system that I had, "Violated their core values". :cry:

Only offering aid to those individuals with enough money?

piercerseth
09-24-2013, 06:41 AM
With their speed increasing too, (WiMax, HSDUPA, LTE), surely some people will be using them for :w00t: things.

Like megabyteme said, I've got 50Mbit LTE on my phone, but fat lot of good it does when my carrier only allots me 6GB/mo. It's not even remotely cost effective to purchase more bandwidth or ascend to a higher tier. Their contract also stipulates they can cut me off for filesharing and mentions usenet specifically. Way down at the bottom, after I've signed over my firstborn. In blood.

psd2
10-03-2013, 10:49 AM
The two parties agreed that TRA will equip DMCA's employees with the required ... skills to effectively handle the marine wireless devices permit applications. ... Broadband Checker: How does your broadband compare?

slemosokick
10-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I guess there is always unlimited plans.

Spud1
01-02-2014, 11:06 PM
It's a good question - in short I don't think they can with PAYG ;)

In the UK at least it's getting cheaper all the time, and now that LTE is finally taking off..I think in a couple of years it will become the safest way to download files. Those who are really paranoid could go sit in a field with a full LTE signal, connect to TOR and leech the hell out of the internet :) :)

It's through though that its a bit too expensive at the moment (roughly £4/gb)..does work surprisingly well though. I had a few gb left at the end of a month and my main internet connection went down - I used it to download a large WoW patch and then play for a few days - just as good as a hard wired connection!

zwarlockz
04-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes DMCA's definitely apply to mobile broadband. Also, wireless carriers tend to keep log files for much longer than your cable or DSL ISP does. These logs show what IP address each customer was assigned each time they connected to the network.

Comcast Timewarner save logs for around 6 months.
Verizon, ATT, etc I believe save them for 2 years.

I'd recommend using a good mobile VPN app if you plan on downloading torrents. There's much less deniability when torrents are downloaded to your personal mobile device.

Some of the best android VPN apps: vpntopten.com/vpn-awards/best-vpn-apps-for-android (http://www.vpntopten.com/vpn-awards/best-vpn-apps-for-android)

You can also use the openVPN app for android or iOS or configure a manaul pptp/l2tp connection for your device settings.