PDA

View Full Version : First Time JBinUP Froze! Are End Times Near?

Beck38
09-22-2013, 07:22 AM
I mean... no kidding!! This tight little program has been running 24/7 (or darn close to it, sans the machine it runs on being rebooted around once a week) for a good 3 1/2 years.

But tonight, stalled/froze... it might have been because I dialed the bandwidth down a few notches so I could grab last nights 'Real Time' (and no, I don't have FIOS bandwidth bah humbug!) but after the usual choice words at my ISP, and at the 'usual suspects' when it comes to throughput problems (VPN, Astraweb/US, Level3) it turned out to be JBinUp.

Holly **** batman, this is something out of left field. I'll be watching it real close the next few days, but that's really something, as I beat on it with a hammer (24/7) for so long it's like a granite obelisk or something. Guess it goes to prove that sooner or later, things do give it up. :rolleyes: Now lets see how many more years it takes to do this again...!

But it doesn't change one wit my general advice to folks that using other (typically older non-verifying) posting programs is asking for trouble, much more than I ran into tonight!

Bhanche
09-22-2013, 09:29 AM
There are trials and tribulations in this world. But we must never, never stop posting!
For every post we make, we are pushing the end times back, invigorating the digital web of fun and entertainment, sharing what we hold for a brief moment, only to let go and let other share the same.
In this split nano-second of the universe's time, some choose to post....and those few choose very well.

Happy posting and may JBinUP never freeeze again!

09-23-2013, 04:57 AM
you should lay off the coke for a bit

mjmacky
10-02-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm more of a Jarritos man myself.

piercerseth
10-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Horchata.

bbhaag
10-03-2013, 04:10 AM
I'm just curious Beck but what is your upload speed?

Beck38
10-03-2013, 05:23 AM
Some interesting comments... but to answer the last question, I have just into the top third of available speed (for the US that is), of which I typically use 5Mb/s of upload capacity for usenet. Take out your calculator, and it works out to about 24hrs for 1BD (50GB). I do have some bandwidth above that, which I will use if necessary, but is usually 'held back' for basic browsing and such.

FIOS stopped building some 3yrs ago about half a mile from my house (GD Verizon!), then they pulled out of the entire corner of the US where I live (some three+ states worth), and sold off to another company which (like V) is not expanding. What is really grating is that rural areas of my state have 100-1000Mb/s fiber 'plowed in' (by the local public power utility) to farms and ranches (that put up with either dial-up or DSL for YEARS) and I'm now trying to get the local power district in my county to take over (and expand) the FIOS plant that the telco really doesn't want to run (no upgrades either since V, so max speed is 35/35 even if one could get it) which is about 1/3rd of what the local cableco (Comcast) does (and will be worse, as they've already announced 300Mb/s tiers).

So here, FIOS is totally outmatched by cable. I don't think there's anywhere else in the US where that situation exists except here.