PDA

View Full Version : Free File Cruncher

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Ace free jpg (etc) cruncher. (http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php)

This is an excellent wee, free piece of software. At it's normal setting I can reduce a jpg photo to a great quality thumbnail and reduce the file size 30X.

Any web developers, I would suggest you have a look at this. Anyone just interested in reducing filesizes dramatically will also like it.

Easy Thumbnails is a popular free utility for creating accurate thumbnail images and scaled-down/up copies from a wide range of popular picture formats. An elegant interface makes it a snap to find your images and select them for processing individually, in groups, or in whole folders, using a simple file selector and built-in image viewer. You can use slider controls to rotate images and adjust their contrast, brightness, sharpness and quality, and check out the results with the built-in viewer.
Key Features
Scale images up or down in batches
Nine resampling filters, including Lanczos3
Sharpen soft images from digital cameras
Real-time preview of target image
Supports the new JPEG 2000 image format
Preserves EXIF data in JPEG images
Supports lossless JPEG rotation
Free software producing quality results

It really is the bees knees.

Billy_Dean
11-22-2003, 01:35 PM
This is just what a lot of people on this site need. Not everyone can cope with Photoshop, it can be daunting, and many people post images that are far too big. This software should be remembered, maybe someone could make a smiley pointing to it, that can then be aimed at those who post half megabyte pics.

:)

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 01:40 PM
It also batch converts. I just did 174 photo's to thumbnails in one go.

Took 1 or 2 minutes. It also renames the thumbnail to tn_filename.jpg (or whatever).

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@22 November 2003 - 14:35
This is just what a lot of people on this site need. Not everyone can cope with Photoshop, it can be daunting, and many people post images that are far too big. This software should be remembered, maybe someone could make a smiley pointing to it, that can then be aimed at those who post half megabyte pics.

:)
Good point.

It would also solve the avatar, sig issues. At least for static images. People could have any picture they wanted, as long as they stayed within the height / width rules.

JONNO_CELEBS
11-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Should'nt this be in software world :P

Jonno B)

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm really not fussed.

If a mod wants to move it that's cool. I was just trying to be helpful.

As this appears to be the busiest place and the one which would benefit most, I put it here.

No problem either way.

Perhaps you could report it in the "report anything unusual" thread.

JONNO_CELEBS
11-22-2003, 01:53 PM
No no, I'm not going to report anything and I agree that this is the busiest place and yes it's very helpful, but I thought I'd say it before someon else did :P

Jonno B)

clocker
11-22-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks JP, that's a fine little bit 'o software.

I just love collecting cool little freeware apps like this.

Mr AnDy D
11-22-2003, 03:49 PM
wow that will be nice for my sites, thx dude! :beerchug: :beerchug:

Lamsey
11-22-2003, 05:24 PM
That great J'Pol, I'll be adding that to my site when I have a little time.

It probably belongs in Softwareworld, but I'll let it rest as the comments already here would look a bit wierd there :blink:

J'Pol
11-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@22 November 2003 - 18:24
That great J'Pol, I'll be adding that to my site when I have a little time.

It probably belongs in Softwareworld, but I'll let it rest as the comments already here would look a bit wierd there  :blink:
If you think it appropriate, please feel free to move it there (as if you need my permission :lol: )

I just think that it's a cracking wee programme that may help people a lot. Particularly if they have a pic they want to use here, but would be too big. It really is simple to use and has a great interface.

Absolute boon for web developers I would have thought, particularly as it does fast batch conversions.

Like I said if it's more appropriate elsewhere then cool as a cool thing, in a cool cooler.

pol
11-22-2003, 06:58 PM
excellent find J'Pol, the default optimization settings look really good

Originally posted by clocker
I just love collecting cool little freeware apps like this.

i've posted this on the forum once or twice before, but if you havent seen it then PIXIE (http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html) is an excellent wee tool for grabbing colour values off pics, web pages etc and no whistles and bells included