PDA

View Full Version : Continuing the debate....

nancyscalf64
10-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I generally disapprove of thread jacking so I've started this thread to continue the discussion I inadvertently started in the Quote Something Good thread.

"Almost all war is fought over land, religion or resources. I'm pretty sure keeping the peace has very little to do with most of it."

Unfortunately, Idol until we sane people can get control of the greedy, the religious fanatics of ALL stripes and the political extremists of ALL stripes that's exactly what keeping the peace through war is going to be about.

"Anyway slave to one master as opposed to slave to another seems a pretty silly reason for anyone to die.
Instead of vilifying Hitler, warmongers should probably be thanking him for giving them the one exception to stick in everyone's faces when they say that all war is unjust."

As far as all war's being unjust - there's always going to be some nut out there that's just itching to be the next Hitler or Ho Chi Min or Torquemada. I'd say it's justifiable to need to defend ourselves against them.

megabyteme
10-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Idol is Canadean, so you'll have to learn to live with his fanatical pussy ways.

IdolEyes787
10-03-2013, 12:26 PM
You generally disapprove of thread jacking but apparently have no such qualms against interfering in other country's politics. :)

Anyway as one of the few on this board who has ever actually been in harm's way in any sense other than being in a dispute over drugs,I can tell you for a fact that just because a thing is necessary that doesn't necessarily make it good.

Also as to your original post,I have no problem respecting either your husband's courage or his commitment,I only have a problem with the sort of jingoistic juvenile chest beating promoted in most of those quotes.
That sort of thing creates more problems than it solves.

As for terrorism which I see as incredibly cowardly,I'm of the opinion that one should only draw his gun when directly threatened,because waving your gun around willy nilly all the time for no clear reason is only going to get people looking at you funny.

Lastly as to being "pussies",for the record Canada had this regiment that lived by the credo "Never retreat" (true story) and during the Second World War the Germans basically slaughtered them in one single battle because while brave,they were obviously also very very stupid. :)

chalice
10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Did somebody say 'thread-jacking'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ryogcssMvg

IdolEyes787
10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
There is probably something to be noted here that I learned more about China from that than I did in 6 5 4 years of High School.

To be fair though in High School I was far too busy bursting spontaneously into song and dance like they do on Glee to pay much attention to my scholastics.:)

Also please refrain from further jacking in this thread as I want to talk about stuff like rights and freedoms which people in the US enjoy until the precise moment the government decides that it's in it's best interest that they don't.:)
Or how idiotic it is to call anyone "Your Majesty" based on nothing more than someone's ancestors proved to be a bit more ruthless and conniving than most.
Or how most of our prejudices against other cultures are not based on anything more than we,like they,were indoctrinated into a certain set of values from birth.Which btw is why I believe I'm an ass man and that dogs should have the right to vote.

Someone please tell me if any of this is making sense because I'm trying to find a why to stop paying taxes.

IdolEyes787
10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkb5JDAGcFs

I'd follow Steve McQueen into battle totally ignoring the fact that he's been dead for 30 years.

megabyteme
10-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Anyway as one of the few on this board who has ever actually been in harm's way in any sense

I'm sure there are more fellow school crossing guards here than you imagine. BTW, I would have served, but I lived too far away from the school. :(

TheFoX
10-03-2013, 09:49 PM
When Hitler invaded the rest of Europe, I am sure that his motives were purer than pure. In his mind, he wanted to unify Europe and purge it of a scourge than had held mankind back for hundreds of years with their prolific funding of every war conducted on European soil.

Of course, this was his perspective, and he felt justified in trying to wipe out an entire race.

From our point of view, Hitler was an egotist hell bent on blaming a race for the woes of his people. His empire building needed to be stopped.

We all worry about terrorism, and the effect it has on the western world, but those very same terrorists probably feel that our western world has interfered with their own world too much.

Remember that the history books are written by the victor, and if the Confederates had been successful during the Civil War, US history would have reflected a very different outcome, both in actuality and in written form.

Something Else
10-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Pardon me, sirs. I appear to have jacked off all over your thread.
:blushing:

Artemis
10-14-2013, 06:52 AM
When Hitler invaded the rest of Europe, I am sure that his motives were purer than pure. In his mind, he wanted to unify Europe and purge it of a scourge than had held mankind back for hundreds of years with their prolific funding of every war conducted on European soil.

Of course, this was his perspective, and he felt justified in trying to wipe out an entire race.

From our point of view, Hitler was an egotist hell bent on blaming a race for the woes of his people. His empire building needed to be stopped.

We all worry about terrorism, and the effect it has on the western world, but those very same terrorists probably feel that our western world has interfered with their own world too much.

Remember that the history books are written by the victor, and if the Confederates had been successful during the Civil War, US history would have reflected a very different outcome, both in actuality and in written form.

There are many such turning points in history, where the balance hung a thread, in the case of the American Civil War, Britain very nearly intereceded on the side of the Confederates after a rather unfortunate bit of high seas piracy by the federal navy......

The battle of Tours in A.D. 732 is one that springs to mind as world changer that nearly altered history: the battle that turned back Islam and preserved christianity as the primary religion of Europe according to the chroniclers and made Charles Martel the champion of the church, although little remembered now (although it would simplify current world affairs somewhat :naughty: )

The 26 mines of the little Nusrat added 2 years and a bloody and pointless campaign to World War I which lasted nine months and ended in a stalemate and ignominious withdrawal, so it is amazing how one event in war can have far reaching consequences, or how just what a victory can come down to in the fog of war.

IdolEyes787
10-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I have this new drinking game that I'm playing where I take a drink every time Art posts some little known fact where on the outside I pretend like I'm really interested so I won't look like addle-brained cretin but internally I'm really replaying "I'm Henery the Eighth I Am" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4OS17lqHiE) over and over in my head. :)

Artemis
10-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Teh possum game is moar fun :blink:

mjmacky
10-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Teh possum game is moar fun :blink:

The opposum game is even more fun.

It has twice as many o's

TheFoX
10-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Well, if you are interested in 'o's, then try choledochoduodenostomy, duodenocholedochotomy, monogonoporous, odontonosology, proctocolonoscopy, pseudomonocotyledonous and zoologicoarchaeologist.

If you include proper nouns, then what about Woolloomooloo, a suburb in Sydney, that has eight 'o's.

And if you want to use FST user names, then OooooooooooooooooooolegL has 20 'o's.

Alien5
10-15-2013, 12:25 AM
What happened to penguin bashing?

Artemis
10-18-2013, 08:32 PM
What happened to penguin bashing?

What, have you gained too much weight and you can't see your 'penguin' any more? :blink:

mjmacky
10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Well, if you are interested in 'o's, then try choledochoduodenostomy, duodenocholedochotomy, monogonoporous, odontonosology, proctocolonoscopy, pseudomonocotyledonous and zoologicoarchaeologist.

If you include proper nouns, then what about Woolloomooloo, a suburb in Sydney, that has eight 'o's.

And if you want to use FST user names, then OooooooooooooooooooolegL has 20 'o's.

Sure, those have more o's, but there is a deficiency in marsupial content.