PDA

View Full Version : What browser works best with self-signed certificates

Night0wl
10-20-2013, 04:20 AM
I have recently started being blocked from sites, using self-signed SSL certificates, in Firefox with no workaround.

What is a fast, reliable, compatible and secure (and preferably customizable) alternative that works on all the sites?

anon
10-20-2013, 04:32 AM
I have recently started being blocked from sites, using self-signed SSL certificates, in Firefox with no workaround.

Have you tried this addon?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/skip-cert-error/

Night0wl
10-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Unfortunately it still refuses to let me in. It's like Firefox has started ignoring the security exceptions entirely. I have tried the same thing that plugin does manually and even tried clearing every stored certificate and exception. It started with just BCG, but now it's FTN also all of a sudden.

I have already spent literately hours on trying to find a fix for this and now I have come to the point, where I just want to drop Firefox entirely and find something else.

A
10-20-2013, 10:10 AM
PTN uses self-signed certificate and I can access the site by clicking "I understand the risks" button just as before on latest firefox.

stoi
10-20-2013, 03:09 PM
We are going to get rid of ours, it will be a couple of weeks though.

I get in fine with chrome, just click the proceed anyway button twice.

ghurka
10-20-2013, 03:17 PM
I've just managed to get into BCG using IE (much as I hate to use it). There is a suggestion on BCG forums that you should be able to get on using Firefox if you install and use the IE tab. Might be worth a try.

IE tab also works with Chrome.

Night0wl
10-20-2013, 04:27 PM
PTN uses self-signed certificate and I can access the site by clicking "I understand the risks" button just as before on latest firefox.

I'm not a member of PTN, so can't compare. This issue isn't affecting all self-signed certificates as quite a few of the sites I use have these. So far only BCG and FTN are affected. Until 2-3 days ago it was only BCG.

I've just managed to get into BCG using IE (much as I hate to use it). There is a suggestion on BCG forums that you should be able to get on using Firefox if you install and use the IE tab. Might be worth a try.

IE tab also works with Chrome.

Using IE-Tab worked for both sites. Thanks a lot for saving me the trouble of switching.

mjmacky
10-20-2013, 08:28 PM
An utterly boring proposition with an utterly boring resolution makes me wonder why people without a sense of humor still have confidence in getting help here.

CleverMan
10-27-2013, 04:28 PM
best browser is IE9-11

harutik_11
10-28-2013, 07:38 AM
def would say chrome

stoi
01-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Just to inform members, I have just purchased a new SSL and its just been installed and working fine.