PDA

View Full Version : Passworded files

shanopolos
10-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Getting pretty cheesed off with damned files that need a password to open them and then takes you to endless survey pages afterwards.
Why do people do it...it seems they repackage files and then do this.
I have downloaded 3 different sets of files for bad grandpa and everyone has taken me to a password page.
Out of curiosity, I created an e mail address and filled in a survey page..it just kept leading to yet another survey...I got bored and abandoned it.
Rant over.

piercerseth
10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Mostly survey scams. You'll find legitimate passworded sets, but they probably won't have enticing names, and won't direct to questionable sites. You kinda have to use your head with some files; I mean Bad Grandpa's theatrical release is today. You aren't going to see cams for a few days at least.

batman05
10-23-2013, 09:10 PM
if you find a passworded file and it brings up a survey. close it and delete the file straight away. its a fake. theyve not repackaged anything. youll never get inside and if you did itll just be junk in there. why do they do it? because they get money from the surveys! and most likely leave a few nasty surprises on your pc as well.

as piercerseth pointed out, its theatrical release is today. so you gotta use a bit of common sense as to whether a file is genuine.

sandman_1
10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Gotta use common sense. Also if you must open up links and shit or run programs that come with a file, do it Sandboxed. I never run exe files openly even if they are legit. I use Sandboxie on everything.

Beck38
10-23-2013, 10:03 PM
I think everyone (except, of course, those making money off these schemes) realizes that most (I didn't say 'all') these encrypted postings are can be traced back to the chase for the almighty (okay, maybe not as almighty as it was just 1-2 years ago with 'elected' wackos running around trying to bring it all down) dollar.

'Follow the Money' used to be the mantra. Still is in my book even if a fair percentage of the populace have either forgotten or never knew. Again I repeat 'my' mantra, postings can be pretty well protected with 'open' encryption (yes, not 100% but which of these 'for pay' and 'invitation only' websites are 100% protected....? 0%.

Keep away from such trash. Their only goal is to get into your wallet.

justlooking
10-23-2013, 10:20 PM
There are legitimately passworded files though. You can join a site and get the passwords. For example, Rusenet.org was a Russian forum, it seems to be gone now, but Usenet-4all has picked up the slack.

shanopolos
10-24-2013, 04:05 PM
As an example I used Binsearch to find the files...it pulled up 10 different sets between 700MB and 1.5GB...the notes said every one of these needed a password.
Out of curiosity I bagged the 3 smallest....
On another note, I searched for a program to remove passwords from Rars.....found it but when you click to download, guess what you get......more bloody surveys ARGHHHHHHH

Beck38
10-24-2013, 07:51 PM
If anyone (that's you, 'justlooking') believes that these sites (that's you, usenet-4all) isn't capturing your ip, counting your 'visit', or otherwise making coin (large or small) on selling that 'visit' data to whomever, you're living in some kind of 'bubble'.

Yep, there's a big incentive to password things on usenet, IF you like your work/postings to have a half-life a bit longer than that of a fruit-fly. So either one gets roped into jumping on things faster than the take-down artists can move, or go to these kinds of web sites (that are being broken into every day).

But there is a solution, and it's being used every day by tons of folks, that yields TB's of non-removed data just about every day.

pootystomp
10-24-2013, 10:38 PM
But there is a solution, and it's being used every day by tons of folks, that yields TB's of non-removed data just about every day.

Apple TV? :)

user3240
10-25-2013, 11:06 PM
If anyone (that's you, 'justlooking') believes that these sites (that's you, usenet-4all) isn't capturing your ip, counting your 'visit', or otherwise making coin (large or small) on selling that 'visit' data to whomever, you're living in some kind of 'bubble'.

What usenet4all is he talking about?

usenet4all.eu has been around about seven years and does NOT passcode their rips.

usenet-4all.info is most likely the group he means.

justlooking
10-26-2013, 12:21 AM

What usenet4all is he talking about?

usenet4all.eu has been around about seven years and does NOT passcode their rips.

usenet-4all.info is most likely the group he means.

Yes. I was sloppy with the url.

[Bluray - Untouched] [usenet-4all.info + rusenet.org] [Password] [44,86 GB] [001/481] "usenet-4all_4318.nfo" yEnc

wintressdude
11-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Download and open the first rar in the pack, when the rar opens, look for an asterix (*) at the end of the file name, and if you see one, kill the rest of the download because the whole pack is password-protected.

Beck38
11-02-2013, 12:27 AM
That methodology, however, doesn't check for 'hidden' files that may be hidden/encapsulated by the parity system (quickpar/multipar).

One needs to do that, to search for information that may lead to decrypting the posting.

pigstramus
11-02-2013, 12:07 PM
[...]

You tease.

coherent
11-11-2013, 04:40 PM
if moderators on sites that let folks post the passworded garbage would just start deleting them... or do the sites make $ because the link originated from there? Frustrating

Beck38
11-11-2013, 09:16 PM
or do the sites make $ because the link originated from there? Frustrating

Ah... Bingo.

A large amount (a majority, who knows) of these postings are pro-wrestling PPV and such. That's what started all the fuss to start with, and lead to the crashing of the most popular (open) indexing sites. You'll have to admit that tons of things without even a modest title obfuscation continue to be posted and are not bothered in the least. Others are minimally so, using 'open' schemes, that are also not bothered.

Many of them in the very newsgroups that were 'targeted' by the pro-wrestling/organized-crime types. So why do they seem to not be targeted at the same time...? Money talks, always. And many simply over-reacted.