PDA

View Full Version : What is the safest way to download usenet and torrent files

maddog14
10-31-2013, 06:30 PM
I have a subscription to astraweb. Which server (us or uk)should I point at using which port and which downloader do you prefer? I also would like to use a VPN service . I current have vypervpn. I have heard not to use it. Which VPN service is the safest to keep aanomonimity. I am not so much concerned with speed as much as I am about being private and annonymous. I am just looking to download some movies. Thanks

anon
10-31-2013, 08:26 PM
http://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-that-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2013-edition-130302/

piercerseth
11-04-2013, 05:23 AM
I have a subscription to astraweb. Which server (us or uk)should I point at using which port and which downloader do you prefer? I also would like to use a VPN service . I current have vypervpn. I have heard not to use it. Which VPN service is the safest to keep aanomonimity. I am not so much concerned with speed as much as I am about being private and annonymous. I am just looking to download some movies. Thanks

US/UK will depend on where you're physically located, obviously. Survey says Sabnzbd or alt.binz are the preferred clients in use around here. I'm not aware of a reader that actually pays the server's certificate any mind, but using port 443 should keep an isp from passively snooping at least.

On vpns: Vypr's a Giganews service, but you also subscribe to astraweb? Strange. Follow anon's link and read up.

maddog14
11-04-2013, 06:04 PM

US/UK will depend on where you're physically located, obviously. Survey says Sabnzbd or alt.binz are the preferred clients in use around here. I'm not aware of a reader that actually pays the server's certificate any mind, but using port 443 should keep an isp from passively snooping at least.

On vpns: Vypr's a Giganews service, but you also subscribe to astraweb? Strange. Follow anon's link and read up.

Yes I found VyperVPN while looking at giganews. I decided to try it out as a stand a lone service. Didnt like it and heard bad things on it. Decided to go with TorGuard now after doing much research which has worked really well for me. I primarily use torrents as they are a lot easier for the things I am looking for. Thanks a lot for the help all.

norway
11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
stop downloding best for u self lol

maddog14
11-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Stop downloading torrents?

norway
11-05-2013, 05:42 AM
stop.its safe for you

maddog14
11-05-2013, 10:31 AM
I don't get what you're saying

pootystomp
11-05-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't get what you're saying

No one does. I think he's implying that you're in over your head.

maddog14
11-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Ahhh OK :)

norway
11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I say stop whatever u do,NOT safe for you downloding, not good for you, better wanker

When someone wonder what its safe to downl, its better to stop do that

maddog14
11-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Right but I am not going to magically know, the only way for me to know is ask and research. I have researched now I asked. What you're saying is any noob that wants to get into file sharing they just shouldn't because they don't know enough and you don't want to help. What else is a forum for?

norway
11-06-2013, 06:55 PM
nothing its safe so long u dont live in asia

maddog14
11-06-2013, 07:04 PM
That's why asked what the SAFEST way is

norway
11-06-2013, 07:54 PM
u like to move to asia. internett in here are not same like home, much slower and no fiber

you say usenet and torrent files are safe no one so long u not are in asia

radicalnotion
11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Check out http://privacy.io VPN, Good prices.

abtx
11-16-2013, 04:16 PM
I think you must have knowledge about those files you want to download. Some fake file you can recognize yourself. EX: a HD video with 720p or 1080p quality must have at least 4Gb size, the release date of a film...

piercerseth
11-16-2013, 08:54 PM
I think you must have knowledge about those files you want to download. Some fake file you can recognize yourself. EX: a HD video with 720p or 1080p quality must have at least 4Gb size, the release date of a film...

Your reply reads like something an inarticulate highschooler would write while padding out a paper's p̶o̶s̶t̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ wordcount. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

Providers don't give a shit what you download off usenet. You needn't worry about covering your ass lest you start posting (infringing/illegal) content.

XsnookumsX
12-14-2013, 05:49 PM
sabnzbd though not easiest to setup, once it is, it usually works flawlessly

i find privacy.io one of the best vpn's out there, even worked on my android smartphone too :)

as for server, go into your account with astraweb and use the ssl servers,

- ssl.astraweb.com
- ssl-eu.astraweb.com (European servers)
- ssl-us.astraweb.com (U.S. servers)

when i was with astraweb i used eu one mainly with it's maximum connections,
and set us one as a backup only server as it tended to be slower.

with port 443
port 563 only really needed if your isp classes usenet as a p2p and throttles/blocks it, but very rare thats a case.

with ssl on, you don't actually need a vpn as all the isp can see is a bunch of encrypted data, they no idea if it legal or not, only time you would need a vpn is if your uploading to usenet, as then you would need to make a new email too under the vpn to make sure the email provider has no traces to your current isp.

as for torrents, emule, dc++, and any other file sharing systems in which your actively sharing automatically with others in a swarm style ip pool, then you must always use a secure vpn.

there are ip blockers but they not 100% reliable, and once in a swarm especially in a DHT server pool, when you disconnect it don't always remove you for anything up to 24 hours or till it auto resets.

I know this an old post but maybe this info might help others who come across it.

bilblo
01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Torrents are traceable, usenet is less so and with VPN even more so.

johnnyspig
01-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Torrents are traceable, usenet is less so and with VPN even more so.
I agree. In all the reading and research I have done, I feel "safer" with usenet than torrents. I rarely use torrents and only for stuff that is hard to find on usenet and never without a VPN.

pythoncancer
01-19-2014, 11:41 PM
use SSL ,it`ll cost may be dollar or two more but its best bet

Sir appreciate it -Good info shared and Thanks Admin in helping n00bs become experienced

i find privacy.io one of the best vpn's out there, even worked on my android smartphone too :)

- ssl.astraweb.com

with port 443
port 563 only really needed if your isp classes usenet as a p2p and throttles/blocks it, but very rare thats a case.

with ssl on, you don't actually need a vpn as all the isp can see is a bunch of encrypted data, they no idea if it legal or not, only time you would need a vpn is if your uploading to usenet, as then you would need to make a new email too under the vpn to make sure the email provider has no traces to your current isp.

as for torrents, emule, dc++, and any other file sharing systems in which your actively sharing automatically with others in a swarm style ip pool, then you must always use a secure vpn.

there are ip blockers but they not 100% reliable, and once in a swarm especially in a DHT server pool, when you disconnect it don't always remove you for anything up to 24 hours or till it auto resets.

I know this an old post but maybe this info might help others who come across it.

secretcomp
01-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Peerblock for torrents, SSL for usenet if your paranoid

Captnhook
01-20-2014, 01:30 AM
I've been using usenet since forever.
Hell I been using it before binaries.

simpson3301
01-20-2014, 01:36 AM
Private Internet access costs $39 a year uses VPN to mask your IP address. Astraweb for the NZB files.

xxonslaughtxx
01-20-2014, 02:34 AM
Never used torrents, wont risk it. Movie companies putting trackers on em and noting ips!

davidchu234
01-20-2014, 03:54 AM
I think any form of VPN should be good enough for any sort of Downloading... Just mix things up and don't jump on those crazy new movie public torrents

Mcnasty1
01-20-2014, 07:45 AM
does using red shield help with torrent site?
if so how you use it

maddog14
01-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the great info. I am using your usenet pointers and downloading like a champ! I have sabnzb set up to access outside my network along with Couchpotato and Plex. All using SSL. Now that I understand this usenet stuff I wouldnt ever go back to tors. Thanks again!

- ssl.astraweb.com

with port 443

m7773d
01-24-2014, 04:24 AM
I'd recommend newsgroups. I use newsguy as my provider and NZB-O-Matic to download.

Torrent sites are much more dangerous and unreliable.

jackflint
01-24-2014, 04:29 AM
I use astraweb in the US.

skeezzee
01-24-2014, 05:50 AM
Try nzbclub or binsearch as an alternative

Catalyst6
01-25-2014, 02:23 AM
no one can guarantee your safety.

wjenkin5
01-25-2014, 06:05 PM
No to torrents

amazxplorer
01-25-2014, 06:08 PM
True that. No to torrents

anon
01-26-2014, 03:00 AM
No to torrents

True that. No to torrents

"Don't let anyone tell you how to live your life. Hey. Are you listening to me?"

dave_wilson
01-27-2014, 03:44 AM
torrents with VPN?

peein
01-27-2014, 06:31 PM
VyprVPN

anon
01-27-2014, 06:38 PM
VyprVPN

That's a bad idea if you plan on uploading anything. They're heavily monitored; their privacy policy and threads in this forum will attest to that.

donutfunky
01-27-2014, 10:58 PM
If you're UBER paranoid, you could always set up a TOR proxy.

anon
01-28-2014, 02:21 AM
If you're UBER paranoid, you could always set up a TOR proxy.

Tor is not meant for high-volume downloads. Please don't use it for such purposes, as it wrecks the network for everyone else.

jameslqr
01-29-2014, 02:25 AM
i use viperVPN and giganews

bossmonkey20
02-01-2014, 06:11 AM
Agreed, I didn't know about viperVPN. Thx

deckymckeown3
02-01-2014, 11:08 PM
astraweb is a decent usenet provider and cheap too. You may need to change the download ports though so your ISP doesn't throttle the download speed

MikeSmith298
02-02-2014, 03:02 AM
I hardly ever use torrents. Only if I'm desperate.

Velox
02-04-2014, 12:48 AM
No torrents, and Astraweb has good retention, options and decent pricing

parura
02-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Definitely Astraweb

Alistair
02-09-2014, 05:56 PM
i stopped using atraweb because of the amount of takedowns. I am now with extreme usenet & find they are not as quick at removing stuff from their servers as astra were.

bumpkiss
02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
I use Slick VPN, connect to someplace in Europe, and then download. It's pretty straightforward and mostly safe.

aryke
02-13-2014, 01:21 PM
I use Slick VPN, connect to someplace in Europe, and then download. It's pretty straightforward and mostly safe.

VyperVPN and Giganews in the past was the best, was free when you get the higher package as well. Pretty quick as well, with 2T downloading some days

federico3d
02-16-2014, 01:09 AM
Personally I'm pretty happy with Astraweb - particularly now with the 15$ for 2 months offer. For a while a lot of the content was being taken down, but it seems better now.

logain777
02-17-2014, 11:06 PM
I use https://real-debrid.com/ to download torrents NZB's are as safe as you can get imo.

kulysses
02-24-2014, 03:15 AM
the newshosting usenet browser has port and SSL options. But in the US the DMCA is the hammer used to "defeat" piracy. But DMCA is about sharing content not downloading it. So depending on your location.

koldkane
02-24-2014, 06:57 AM
used to think it was through a good paid service like Giga...now it seems it's torrents....it seems like it's over though....

megabyteme
02-27-2014, 01:25 PM
A good way to anonymously download torrents through the cloud is http://www.spunkdribble.com (http://www.putdrive.com).

Been using it now for some months now and i am satisfied

Ban this fucker. He's sending out spam emails trying to get people to post positive reviews for this site in forums. :angry:

EDIT- Thanks for banning them. Changed site name so they would not be getting any advertising here.

piercerseth
02-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Ban this fucker. He's sending out spam emails trying to get people to post positive reviews for this site in forums. :angry:

As well as user toscher123 http://filesharingtalk.com/members/319861-toscher123 Same shit. I thought PM privileges required 5 posts + however much time on the board? Neither of which the above boneheads have.

anon
02-27-2014, 06:14 PM
I thought PM privileges required 5 posts + however much time on the board?

Not if you use Facebook Connect, because there's no way that could go wrong.

megabyteme
02-27-2014, 06:47 PM
I thought PM privileges required 5 posts + however much time on the board?

Not if you use Facebook Connect, because there's no way that could go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxzJGgox_E

moesmith
02-28-2014, 02:31 AM
Have to agree that astraweb seems to be doing a better job recently

jondak
03-01-2014, 07:56 PM
1. Usenet: Astraweb SSL
2. Direct file download sites that post on filehosters
3. Private torrents with VPN

Kal8
03-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Put.io is nice. Used to provide free service to download torrent files but only paid plans now

PsychoSunflower
03-03-2014, 07:55 PM
I have usenetnnow subscription and they have ssl option if you need one

spank-it
03-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Noobie here so you don't have to think, read, or in fact believe what I say but:

Nowadays you should be using a VPN to download any torrents, more & more ISP's are being asked to police their own users and take the appropriate steps to stop torrenting. Personally, I think it's horseshit, ISP's do not have the manpower or staffing resources nor are the criminal courts for that matter, prepared to take on thousands upon thousands of cases of downloading 'copyright' material. They will prosecute a few 'test' cases, and throw the book at the offenders in order to frighten the rest of the population.

So do yourselves a favour and get a VPN service. I am totally happy with mine, speeds are great, I can be anywhere in the world in a few seconds, and (for me anyway) I can watch BBC iPlayer :-)

I use Astrill and I am totally happy with it, and-NO I am not an affiliate, or pushing Astrill in any way, (but if i recommend someone I get a free month per person so PM away - :-)