PDA

View Full Version : Norway’s Slow TV Phenomenon

megabyteme
11-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Is Norway’s Slow TV Phenomenon The Future Of Reality Programming? 9-Hour Knitting Contests, 8-Hour Train Rides (http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/slow-tv-norwegian-phenomenon-continues-with-9-hour-%e2%80%98national-knitting-evening%e2%80%99-norway-nrk-lmno/)

Knit one, purl … eight-plus hours of live stitching? That’s what’s happening tonight on Norwegian public broadcaster NRK2 (http://www.deadline.com/tag/nrk/) as folks around the country gather in viewing parties. The show is part of a phenomenon known as Slow TV (http://www.deadline.com/tag/slow-tv/) which has increasingly captivated Norway. The overall gist of the concept, to which LMNO Productions (http://www.deadline.com/tag/lmno-productions/) recently acquired U.S. rights, is a hybrid of unhurried documentary coupled with hours and hours of continuous coverage provided by fixed cameras trained on a subject or an event. Prior to tonight, those have included a 7.5-hour train journey, a 134-hour coastal cruise, a stack of firewood and salmon. Tonight, NRK2 will turn its lens on National Knitting Evening (http://www.deadline.com/tag/national-knitting-evening/). Four hours of discussion on the popular pastime will kick off at 8 PM local, before a sheep gets trotted out at midnight to be sheared and its wool spun into yarn. Making Knitting Evening sound like a breathless frenzy of activity compared to some earlier Slow TV ventures, seven spinners and knitters will then hunker down to stitch a large men’s sweater in an attempt to break a Guinness world record — for speed, no less. NRK programming executive Rune Moklebust tells me the four-hour and 51-minute record will be “hard to break, but we’ll broadcast until the (sweater) is finished.” Moklebust is confident folks will stick with it through the wee hours, “like they’re waiting for election results.”Based on recent success, the exec has reason to be bullish. Slow TV started in 2009 when NRK was working on documentaries to celebrate the 100th birthday of the national train line and “an idea came up at lunch one day.” The result was Bergensbanen, a 7.5-hour continuous program that showed every minute of a train journey from Bergen to Oslo. (Think that sounds long? Even the trailer runs 9.5 minutes — see it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2qXpNVTjw)). The program aired on a Friday, the most-watched TV night in the country, and drew more than 1.2M viewers out of a population of 5M people. Ratings showed viewers weren’t only tuning in for two minutes, but were actually engrossed.

The next Slow TV program came in 2011 with Hurtigruten: Minutt For Minutt, a 134-hour long show that followed a cruise ship down the coast. More than 3M viewers saw that one. “It was a national event, even the queen showed up,” Moklebust says. Other Slow shows have spent 18 hours covering the opening night of salmon fishing season and 12 hours on firewood. “It was three or four hours before the first salmon came ashore,” Mocklebust says, but at least one exec commented afterwards, “It felt a little short, don’t you think?” For the firewood show, experts spent four hours discussing chopping and stacking techniques (bark up or bark down?) and then built a fire and left it to burn. Mocklebust cautions it’s not to be confused with the Yule Log that Americans are used to. “We had no loop and no recording.” But after the fire went out, viewers wrote in and said, “Men have gotten their firewood night. Now women have to have their knitting night.” And Mocklebust said the reaction was, “Why on Earth haven’t we thought about it before?”The subjects covered in the Slow TV canon have thus far had deep cultural ties in Norway, but Mocklebust says he thinks the format can travel. They’re also very inexpensive to produce. The Knitting Evening cost between $150,000-$200,000. Asked if there are any celebrities involved, Mocklebust says, “only the sheep.” You can check her out for yourself since NRK is live-streaming the show on its website (http://www.nrk.no/knitting/) with simultaneous English translation.

------------------------------------------

Now we know what Snee is really doing instead of cycling, skating, ninja fighting, saving children from burning buildings, donating kidneys, casting disdain towards immigrants, etc.

IdolEyes787
11-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Thread equivalent of Norway's slow TV.:)

In other more interesting,meaning basically anything news:),what happened to Carol in the last episode of TWD made no sense whatever.

According to Rick ,Merle equals"sure take off your boots and stay awhile" though.:blink:

piercerseth
11-05-2013, 12:13 AM
I suppose there isn't much for them to do besides sous vide reindeer meat and stay inside during the fortnight's worth of darkness.

mjmacky
11-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Meg, I had the idea to post something about this months ago, but I felt that the nature of the topic would make it way too boring of a thread starter. Then, I banked the notion to incorporate into some future comment where I hide my insult in obscurity by making reference to one of their shows. That brings me to this:

Why didn't you stop yourself from posting about this?

Die in a fire, a slow burning fire so that we can watch you combust for 8 hours for trying to cockblock obscurity.

megabyteme
11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Meg, I had the idea to post something about this months ago, but I felt that the nature of the topic would make it way too boring of a thread starter. Then, I banked the notion to incorporate into some future comment where I hide my insult in obscurity by making reference to one of their shows. That brings me to this:

Die in a fire, a slow burning fire so that we can watch you combust for 8 hours for trying to cockblock obscurity.

:lol:

I caught your post on my way to bed. I believe this is the end result of people staring at computer screens all day, responding to and following tweets, checking in with Facebook, etc. The world population has been slowly turned into zombies. There is a story on the modern human condition embedded within the mundane headline.

mjmacky
11-05-2013, 04:22 PM

:lol:

I caught your post on my way to bed. I believe this is the end result of people staring at computer screens all day, responding to and following tweets, checking in with Facebook, etc. The world population has been slowly turned into zombies. There is a story on the modern human condition embedded within the mundane headline.

It happened awhile ago, and I believe Shaun of the Dead illustrated it quite nicely.

megabyteme
11-05-2013, 06:46 PM
It happened awhile ago, and I believe Shaun of the Dead illustrated it quite nicely.

Yeah, instead of, "Brains. Brains." it is, "Friends. Friends." I think the movie zombies are FAR less pitiful.

mjmacky
11-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Yeah, instead of, "Brains. Brains." it is, "Friends. Friends." I think the movie zombies are FAR less pitiful.

The spark that movie zombies have is called drive or ambition. They're willing to overcome the obstacles that are presented with their poorly functioning bodies in order to get what they want. In reality, our legs falling asleep is cause for postponement.

asad4javed
12-31-2013, 10:04 PM
I am truly pleased to read this Norway’s Slow TV Phenomenon posts which carries lots of helpful data, thanks for providing these kinds of statistics.

mjmacky
01-02-2014, 07:16 AM
I am truly pleased to read this Norway’s Slow TV Phenomenon posts which carries lots of helpful data, thanks for providing these kinds of statistics.

In case anyone was curious about those stats

Condition
asad4javed
asad4javed's mom

# of times the subject pictured my cock in their mouth

# of times the subject pictured my cock in their mouth per day

# of times my cock has been in their mouth

Conversion rate for realizing the dream
0 %
12.5 %

Artemis
01-02-2014, 02:10 PM
A pie chart would have been more helpful. :snooty:

mjmacky
01-02-2014, 04:50 PM
A pie chart would have been more helpful. :snooty:

It would have required the preparation of too many pies.