PDA

View Full Version : Smackdownonyou.com -Spam and moneygrabs

user3240
11-05-2013, 01:30 PM
These guys are the worst spammers of any NZB index I've ever seen. From Reddit:

[–]schaefferBMW 2 points 5 hours ago

I've received emails from them at 0520, 0527, and just now at 0824, all with the exact same message (gmail gave it the "quoted text" treatment).

I did a search for "shared usenet" and found these results:

*Jun 24-new forum and shared usenet account announcement *Aug 3-shared usenet accounts go live *Aug 3-"new feature notification" (shared usenet accounts!) *Aug 3-another notification that shared usenet accounts have gone live *Aug 4-same email as the last one from Aug 3 *Aug 5-my personal favorite "this is the last email we will be sending for a while, so take this as a notification to frequently check the page for updated accounts etc..." this one announces they've added 6 more usenet accounts available for usage, bringing their total to 16 *Sep 6-server usenet farm changes, 50 new accounts added *Sep 10-server farm changes applied, 25 today and 25 tomorrow *Sep 15-more accounts added to server farm, final chance to upgrade to unlimited (damn it's November 5th I missed out...) *Sep 21-apologizes for forgetting to push the allow button on the update to the page, now all info on website is correct *Oct 8-another 20 accounts added to server usenet farm, join while you can at the $50 rate cause they're raising their prices to $75 upgrade and $125 newcomers *Oct 9-appears to be same email as Oct 8 *Oct 22-last chance for server farm upgrades. "must read" *Oct 22-same email as above, about 8 hours later *Oct 24-"this is your absolute last chance" to join the shared usenet accounts page *Oct 28-same email as Oct 24 *Nov 5-same email as Oct 24 *Nov 5-same email as Oct 24 *Nov 5-same email as Oct 24

fuck this, UNSUBSCRIBE

They still have their overpriced "backup block account plan" for $125.00 a year. Will the public ever wise up? If you fall for this crap, you almost certainly deserve to be screwed.

[–]lebruf 1 point 9 hours ago

It's a decent site but the upgrade to the server farm is worthless. They have 70 accounts and I literally tried logging in to every single one. I could only successfully log into four of them but none of them would download although my Astraweb was still functioning.

Petitioned for a refund through Paypal and got my money back 48 hours later.

http://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/1pwnkw/sdoy_users_this_is_your_absolute_absolute_last/

user3240
11-26-2013, 11:54 AM
More proof of how bad it is for people who fall for smackdown's rubbish.

[–]skywalkr2 3 points 7 hours ago

And isn't it interesting he has taken his forums down? This guy is a MAJOR scammer. I paid for unlimited lifetime access... and he has just taken it away.

LIAR and Massive scammer...

https://pay.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/1rftz1/is_smackdownonyou_asking_too_much_money/

MysticRiffs
12-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Bit rough. I just logged in to double check, and I can confirm that for my 15 bucks that I paid sometime during the late 1700's, I'm still a happy bunny on their unlimited (well, what they originally called unlimited) plan. I get an announcement that I'm not a FULLY UPGRADED UNLIMITED USER, and apparently, I don't have access to their server farms, but like anything at all in this digital age, I did my research on that score and decided that active farming of accounts is not for me, what with cheap alternatives out there for main providers and block accounts. Still (and I wonder, here if there's a bit of Jones Theory of marketing (read, "I must have the best!") going on), people seem to be upgrading to it still to this day, so it must be a decent option for them, even if it's not something I'd poke a stick at in a blizzard if it offered shelter and hot chocolate.

All in all, it's yet another NewzNab site, and is just fine and dandy for the basics of indexing, no better and no worse than others. If you don't have a site like this in your arsenal, you could do worse, and you can certainly do better, but you won't really be all that disappointed by popping in and havin' a squiz. (And, apparently, autocorrect doesn't like squiz with two zz's.)

user3240
12-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Sorry M8,

You can get nzb.su and nzbgeek.info (no invites needed for geek VIG index) for $10.00-$12.00 a year. I've decided that anything over $12.00 a year is overpriced. Reputable indexers don't constantly spam you and try to upsell you. The Geeks Vig 2 index is far superior to smackdown. Early on SDOY was selling lifetime memberships. Not any more. $15.00 a year for 500 API hits a day. That's their cheapest plan.

https://www.sincitysportscards.com/new_stripe.php

How did Smackdown's overpriced block accounts work out. Well, click on this and scroll down on the right.

http://jsfiddle.net/ubvGp/

MysticRiffs
12-22-2013, 02:05 AM
Nice one. Cheers for the links, mate. :)

nicon
03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Is this site still operational?

user3240
03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Is this site still operational?

As I understand it, they are no longer honoring "lifetime" memberships. Do NOT give money to these crooks.

Blast
03-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Smackdownonyou looks good nzb index site . :rolleyes:
when will they open free registration or can someone invite me there ?

bikertyke
03-18-2014, 09:03 PM
I joined but never paid any money. Its slow to get content on. There are much better sites out there.

cenotaph
07-05-2014, 03:11 AM
do NOT give any money to SDOY. he cancels your account on a whim, months before it's due to expire.