PDA

View Full Version : yEnc exe files explained?

jabattak
11-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Hi,

Been downloading NZBs for years, but have always ignored the yEnc posts as they just seem to contain a RAR with an EXE file and I’m wary of ever downloading executable files.

Have tried searching for an explanation of how these work, but have yet to find one. See a lot of posts about encoding, with much of it being very old.

Could someone point me to one for decoding or explain in a nutshell what one has to do with these EXE files?

Cheers

:wacko:

(FYI I am using NewsLeecher v.3.9 beta 6.)

Hurda
11-06-2013, 05:31 PM
No idea what you mean with "yEnc posts" as pretty much everything binary is posted in yEnc, but regarding the exe-files: Delete them. Fast.

nrdani
11-30-2013, 02:00 AM
They are just some kind of trojans, although yEnc has a lot of good stuff in movies :) just check the size of every download and stay away from fakes.

Beck38
11-30-2013, 02:53 AM
Been downloading NZBs for years, but have always ignored the yEnc posts as they just seem to contain a RAR with an EXE file and I’m wary of ever downloading executable files.

Don't want to seem like I'm calling you out on this, but excuse me, don't you use 'the google' to explain things when you have a giant question mark hovering over your head?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YEnc

Way 'back in the day' when binary transfers on usenet were in their infancy, you have to realize that (of course) usenet wasn't exactly built for doing that, it was just that it 'could' be done, but as usenet was designed to transfer ASCII (plain text), using it to transfer binary files meant that there were (and are) some inefficiencies and drawbacks.

Yenc was developed to 'pre-process' the binary files, and making it far more efficient than the simple ASCII transfer methods previously in use (and still are, if one can find a news program that can be 'tricked' not to use Yenc encoding on binary files(.

The 'shields on max' for exe files still holds. Has nothing really to do with Yenc although obviously, exe files transferred on usenet will be by default use Yenc with most if not all usenet readers/posters.