PDA

View Full Version : Seeking classic Dr. Who episodes

mh1313
11-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Sorry if this isn't the right subforum to pose this query.

Looking for certain classic Tom Baker Doctor Who episodes. I don't use Torrents (never been able to make them work) so I prefer Uploaded or other host.

I have (non-exhaustively) searched many of the popular FS/media forums, like rapidmovies, etc and came up with almost nothing. these Dr. Who classics are not avail., links or references to other sources are hugely appreciated.
You can PM a reply, too, as I realize that repositories for these commodities need to be protected
Thx much!

megabyteme
11-07-2013, 07:23 AM
I believe you would do well to subscribe to Netflix. It is about the best $8 a month you can spend. They currently have both a "classic collection" (1964-1989), and the 2005 series.

mh1313
11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Thx ... anyway to save the Netflix stream? I use JD for most everything ... but it is has become VERY unreliable ...lately it has stopped for YouTube.

Netflix image quality looks decent, and the stream is smooth and not CPU intensive.

mjmacky
11-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Fraps

Johndon
11-09-2013, 06:18 AM
netflix is a good option and cheap for what you get,even though usually when licenses run out content never returns.

megabyteme
11-09-2013, 06:46 AM
netflix is a good option and cheap for what you get,even though usually when licenses run out content never returns.

I rarely find the need to collect videos. Others do so, and that makes filesharing viable. As for Netflix, they provide me with more content than I can manage to sort through- yet alone view on any given month. Between the two, I NEVER run out of good content for myself and my family.

mh1313
11-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Filesharing promotes unnecessary collection similar to tradit. shopping/buying. I only want certain Dr. Who titles -- may be a dozen in all -- because they are worth having LOCALLY (on a HDD, etc.). Netflix charges an addit $8 for DVDs, and I don't want that $$ even if I get a decent rippable media -- just streaming is okay. Heck, if Netflix goes down for some reason, chances are the asteroid strike will affect me, too ;)
Truth is ... it is cool just to NOT have leftovers from older habits (material collections of anything, incl. classic movies, tv shows, etc) ... and, the fact that newer, more novel stuff proves way more entertaining ... YMMV. Lectures and HOW-TO vids on YouTube are what I almost always turn to even though I've got the latest movies and TV shows (rips) around ... the YouTube stuff is way more entertaining than just about anything legacy (i.e., my DVD collection rips or other vids I got via FS).

Stehle
11-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Tom Baker was one of my favorite Doctors of all time. :)

(Get it?) :alien: :D

megabyteme
11-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Filesharing promotes unnecessary collection similar to tradit. shopping/buying. I only want certain Dr. Who titles -- may be a dozen in all -- because they are worth having LOCALLY (on a HDD, etc.). Netflix charges an addit $8 for DVDs, and I don't want that $$ even if I get a decent rippable media -- just streaming is okay. Heck, if Netflix goes down for some reason, chances are the asteroid strike will affect me, too ;)
Truth is ... it is cool just to NOT have leftovers from older habits (material collections of anything, incl. classic movies, tv shows, etc) ... and, the fact that newer, more novel stuff proves way more entertaining ... YMMV. Lectures and HOW-TO vids on YouTube are what I almost always turn to even though I've got the latest movies and TV shows (rips) around ... the YouTube stuff is way more entertaining than just about anything legacy (i.e., my DVD collection rips or other vids I got via FS).

Yeah, LOTS of good time killers on YouTube. :happy:

I hope NetFlix has what you are looking for. If not, IPT has a couple of VERY large collections of Doctor Who from beginning to current. One of them is free leech, so you could grab it with a new account. I do realize you are not excited about torrents, but it is a viable, well-seeded resource.

mh1313
11-09-2013, 04:48 PM
IPT is a PAY-for Torrent service? Or just another forum community that has bennies once you're in?

I've never been able to get Torrents to work on my end. There must be some "trick" or inside info ... or maybe I'm too dumb to figure out how to tweak torrent clients to make them worth the trouble.

Agreed ... but the best-rated DW epi was the last one of the Doctor that followed TB.

Also, around the same time TB came in, DW writer (creator of the Daleks), Terry Nation, along with BBC, launched another series called Survivors. And THAT was, by far, the best (most intellectual) tv series outta that creative bunch. Even by today's YouTube std ... which is saying a lot.

megabyteme
11-09-2013, 06:06 PM
IPT is a PAY-for Torrent service? Or just another forum community that has bennies once you're in?

They sure try hard with their constant pressures to "donate". However, you don't really need to. Torrents aren't typically that hard to use, but there may be some barriers such as your internet provider or your router needing its ports forwarded.

justlooking
11-10-2013, 01:23 AM
If you can't use torrents, then the cheapest seedbox I know of is $1.40/month, cheaper if you go longer term. It allows 2 torrents at a time, each up to 75GB if you take the cloud option. That's big enough to grab that Dr Who freeleech torrent on IPT and a whole lot more. I'm sure someone here will give you an invite.

http://www.yourseedbox.com/page/shared_seedbox

megabyteme
11-10-2013, 03:18 AM
If you can't use torrents, then the cheapest seedbox I know of is $1.40/month, cheaper if you go longer term. It allows 2 torrents at a time, each up to 75GB if you take the cloud option. That's big enough to grab that Dr Who freeleech torrent on IPT and a whole lot more. I'm sure someone here will give you an invite.

http://www.yourseedbox.com/page/shared_seedbox

Actually, that entire Doctor Who torrent is 200GB+. However, he said he's only looking for a few episodes. Strange your advice has him purchasing a long term seedbox when he hasn't even got an invite yet, nor knows if he's even going to like torrenting. Help getting his torrents working is free. He can decide what he wants/needs later.

mh1313
11-10-2013, 04:35 AM
What's the "best" Torrent client? I tried a lot of them over the years and I don't think I had one successful download.
How long does a Torrent download usually take (estimate using avg. DL times)?

mjmacky
11-10-2013, 09:36 AM
What's the "best" Torrent client? I tried a lot of them over the years and I don't think I had one successful download.

On Windows just seek out the last 2.xx version of uTorrent. I think it was something like 2.2.1 or < 22/(2! + 2^2) whatever.

megabyteme
11-10-2013, 10:16 AM

On Windows just seek out the last 2.xx version of uTorrent. I think it was something like 2.2.1 or < 22/(2! + 2^2) whatever.

That's the version I use. Anything after that is owned (pwned?) by some corporate scumsucker types who have been trying to make a once-was-free program that worked great into something profitable. It should be avoided, IMO.

EDIT- reasonably certain I downloaded my most recent install from here (http://www.oldapps.com/utorrent.php?old_utorrent=38). Read the comments if you are even considering a newer version.

justlooking
11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Actually, that entire Doctor Who torrent is 200GB+. However, he said he's only looking for a few episodes. Strange your advice has him purchasing a long term seedbox when he hasn't even got an invite yet, nor knows if he's even going to like torrenting. Help getting his torrents working is free. He can decide what he wants/needs later.

Do I have to defend myself ? :) A guy said he was interested in certain Tom Baker episodes- Dr Who - Tom Baker (1974-1981) [FreeLeech] [FreeLeech]
4.1 years ago 55 GB 675 22 4 . As far as a long term seedbox is concerned, it's listed at 2.89 Euros for 3 months, around $3.90 for a guy to try torrents. Not much of a commitment. And as far as getting an invite, I remember you saying that the best way for a guy to get into private trackers was to get an invite here."Or, you can get to "know" some generous people around this site by contributing your interests, wit, knowledge, etc. and then making a request in the appropriate section. Chances are good that someone will be willing to help you get "in the door" without jumping through all of the hoops mentioned above." Or he can check out Bitsnoop and find Tom Baker episodes on a public tracker. That seedbox allows public trackers. Then he doesn't have to rely on the generosity of anyone here.

mjmacky
11-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Do I have to defend myself ? :)

You should always be prepared to do so.

justlooking
11-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Do I have to defend myself ? :)

You should always be prepared to do so.

So filesharingtalk is akin to the Miami Dolphins' locker room. I understand, but when poster "A" says he can't use torrents after many tries and wants to download something , and poster "B" suggests spending $1.40 to download that and more and see if he wants to use torrents regularly, I don't see the rationale for poster "C" to jump in and criticize "B". That's a stretch even for a debating forum. C my point... I mean see my point. ;)

IdolEyes787
11-10-2013, 05:28 PM
You mean besides the obvious "you're a spastic" one?

megabyteme
11-10-2013, 07:28 PM
You mean besides the obvious "you're a spastic" one?

Yeah, he did seem to clear that up.

@justlookingspastic: You have a n00b to the community cart shopping before he's found a horse. Let's see if he likes the mode of transportation first.

EDIT- and since I am the only one who has mentioned a torrent in this thread (up til now), we might be able to assume it was the one I was talking about.

Stehle
11-10-2013, 11:59 PM

I've never been able to get Torrents to work on my end. There must be some "trick" or inside info ... or maybe I'm too dumb to figure out how to tweak torrent clients to make them worth the trouble.

Agreed ... but the best-rated DW epi was the last one of the Doctor that followed TB.

Also, around the same time TB came in, DW writer (creator of the Daleks), Terry Nation, along with BBC, launched another series called Survivors. And THAT was, by far, the best (most intellectual) tv series outta that creative bunch. Even by today's YouTube std ... which is saying a lot.

Thank YOU! I'll look for it! ;)

(Being the egg head scifi freak I am, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Thanks again for the excellent info!) :alien:

(For intelligent science fiction/drama how would you rate it with BSG? Giving BSG a 10 [which it was] in it's last reincarnation.) :alien:

mjmacky
11-11-2013, 12:52 AM
So filesharingtalk is akin to the Miami Dolphins' locker room.

By relation that one experiences both environments in life and should steel themselves before climbing out of the bubble. Courtesy is finite. Trust is finite. The propagation of ideas and string of thoughts and possibilities are infinite.

Defend.

IdolEyes787
11-11-2013, 12:19 PM
By relation that one experiences both environments in life and should steel themselves before climbing out of the bubble. Courtesy is finite. Trust is finite. The propagation of ideas and string of thoughts and possibilities are infinite.

It appears that Ted Williams was uncommonly eloquent for a baseball player.

mjmacky
11-12-2013, 01:33 AM

I wish I could remember that thing what I uttered once that was similar to Ted and I liked it and stuff.

megabyteme
11-13-2013, 06:32 AM

I wish I could remember that thing what I uttered once that was similar to Ted and I liked it and stuff.

Even after his death, stuff still comes out of Ted Williams' head...

Johnson writes that holes were drilled in Williams' severed head for the insertion of microphones, then frozen in liquid nitrogen while Alcor employees recorded the sounds of Williams' brain cracking 16 times as temperatures dropped to -321 degrees Fahrenheit.

Johnson writes that the head was balanced on an empty can of Bumble Bee tuna to keep it from sticking to the bottom of its case.
Johnson describes watching as another Alcor employee removed Williams' head from the freezer with a stick, and tried to dislodge the tuna can by swinging at it with a monkey wrench.
The technician, no .406 hitter like the baseball legend, missed the can with several swings of the wrench and smacked Williams' head directly, spraying "tiny pieces of frozen head" around the room.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ted-williams-frozen-head-batting-practice-cryogenics-lab-book-article-1.381985#ixzz2kVLlWnKn