PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into hifi headphones?

Funkin'
11-30-2013, 01:06 AM
I have a variety of excellent iem's, but only one proper pair of cans. My Grado's. Which i fucking love(even more after the mods i did to it). But Grado's are open ear headphones(which i love) , and I'm looking for a closed pair of cans for mobile use.

I've tried a few but sent them all back. None of the came close to my Grado's. Now i know I'm not going to get an open ear sound from a closed ear pair of headphones. But surely there's something out there that has the openess and clarity that my Grado's have, right?

I'm looking at the AKG K450's and the AKG Q460's(Quincy Jones line). Anyone own either of these? Am i along the right track? I want something small and portable, closed, and have great sound.

By the way, I'm only looking at the $100 or less range.

megabyteme
11-30-2013, 09:34 AM
I do not know if these are in the same league you are talking about/looking for, but I believe I just scored a really good deal (today only) on Newegg:

Sennheiser HD 239 3.5mm Connector On-Ear Stereo Headphone
Free Boombug portable mini premium speaker w/ purchase, limited offer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106569&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS113013&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS113013-_-EMC-113013-Index-_-HeadphonesAccessories-_-26106569-L08B)

Full "retail" price $120. Amazon $70 (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-239-Headphones-Black/dp/B005SNPTRS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t). Newegg $39.58 but there is also a $5 rebate on the free Boombug (http://www.amazon.com/Axess-Portable-Rechargable-Compatable-Smartphones/dp/B009L6NQZA) ($16 on Amazon), so I'm all said and done for $35. :happy:

Here's the code for the deal: EMCYTZT4958

Funkin'
12-01-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm not familiar with those particular ones at all, but I've had great luck with sennheisers. Let me know what you think of them when you get them.

And i forgot about Newegg. Gotta check them out too.

Alien5
12-01-2013, 05:08 AM
Sennheisers need I say more?

sony mdr range are hard to beat just from the sound is so perfect and they are not overpriced.
They look very old , Don't knock it till you try it range.

I would buy Grados if I was well off but I don't need to spend that much when AKGs, Sonys and Sennheisers are good and cheap.

Sergey
12-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I have an Audio-Technica ATH-M50CWH. They are white and closed so they look cool for a mobile use. But I use it at home. They have a good sound but it's not comparable with Grado's. I wish I had Grado's but I'm not ready to spend that amount of money for the headphones.

Funkin'
12-29-2013, 04:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Alien i have multiple pairs of sennheisers, and just about every pair i have now or currently have had were/are great. But I'm looking to get into other brands/sounds now. I haven't tried the Sony's that you're talking about though... I love classic looking headphones(like Grado's).

And Sergy, i had the M50's but returned them. I didn't like the sound(everyone has different ears and different tastes), plus i was getting microphonics from the cord. They just didn't impress me as much considering all the hype for them when they came out. Not bad cans by any means, they just weren't for me.

Also(this goes for you too Alien) , you can get a pair of Grado S60i's for like $60. The S80i's are only like $20 more, but I've read over and over there's not much a difference between the two, so i would save money and go for the 60's. Which both are cheaper than the M50's when they first came out, and still cheaper now since i believe the price of the M50's have went up(think they were $99 when i got them, and somewhere in the $150 range now). Plus you can mod these to hell(just check out the thread for them on head fi) to make them sound like the more expensive Grado's. They're probably among the easiest moddable line of headphones that there are.

Anyways i went with the AKG Q460'S(Quincy Jones line). They were a little muddy at first, but after just 50 or so hours of burn-in they have really opened and cleared up. They were something like $95,then amazon put them on lightning deal for something like $60,then i had $50 of reward points on my amazon card, so i got them for like $10. :-)

So all in all I'm very happy with them. Great build, turned out to be really good sound(i can pick out each and every instrument easily and very clearly), and they have a one sided detachable cable. Which i love detachable cables. But I've realized that I'm probably not going to find a pair of closed cans that sound like open ones(at least without paying an arm and a leg for). So these will be my last pair of closed headphones. Plus these are nice and portable. I'm loving them.

Now the Westone 3's iem's are on sale for a good price. I already have the Klipsch X10's, which are my favorite pair of iem's that i currently have(the clarity is fantastic), but the W3's should be an upgrade. After these I'm done with headphones for a while. I'll continue to enjoy what i already have...

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations.

P. S. MBM how are you liking your new Senny's?

megabyteme
12-29-2013, 08:14 AM
P. S. MBM how are you liking your new Senny's?

I am quite fond of them. I've always been impressed with the bang per buck of headphones vs room equipment. $80 worth of Sony's will get you $5k worth of sound. I have been out of home audio (picked up an upper-mid level Onkyo a couple years ago) for a few years now, and have not really been paying attention to advancements in headphones for the past decade. Always a nice surprise to find out what bargains can be had on the cheap. Thanky you, Asian countries. :wub:

Alien5
01-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Yeah AKG's look nice I wanted akg 701s but ended up getting the K451. I broke the wire that's why I went back to the sonys.

I just love my Sony MDR V6 because they sound so fucking good with the volume high or low, there's no need for an expensive set when these sonys can do the same or better than the other overpriced brands.

Can I have these with free delivery? Please

I love these ones alot.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_hd990d.htm

Funkin'
01-17-2014, 05:53 AM
I haven't even heard of those. I'll have to look more into them. I'm reading that ultrasone's are a very good closed back can alternative line for Grado fans. So i might have to get me one more pair of closeds...

Anyways, i just got a pair of creative aurvana 3's. They're like fucking butter. Best $60 I've ever spent. Dual balanced drives. You're right, definitely don't have to spend hundreds upon hundreds for great sound.

Gonna research those t. bones.

Tson
01-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Don't laugh ... Koss KSC75 ... best bang for the buck phones I've EVER owned. Though admittedly the more resent ones I've gotten had lousy cables. I have bought what are respected headphones in the past, like the Sennheiser 280 Pros. They were God awful. Sounded fine but so bloody uncomfortable to wear. I know what you're thinking but you owe it to yourself to try them, they're like less then 20 bucks. Not the best phones out there but you'll be hard pressed to find better bang for the buck.

bootruss
01-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Bowers and Wilkins P3's..excellent all rounders!

african
01-19-2014, 09:50 PM
If you have the money- then Bose qc15 with built in noise cancelling so you hear the music without any other noise. - The best but expensive.

IdolEyes787
01-19-2014, 11:33 PM
I appreciate the fact neither of you could be bothered to read past posts and see that Funkin' was looking at the under $100 range and already found some.

Also Bose is far from the best http://www.head-fi.org/products/stax-sr-009-electrostatic-headphones/reviews/7262

Funkin'
01-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Idol has been missed. No fucking joke there...

And Tson, nothing funny about those. Koss makes some great headphones. And the ones you pointed out are supposed to be particularly good for the price. There's another pair, Koss portapros(over ear ones) that are cheap and are supposed to have great sound. Anyways, Koss is pretty much known for budget but good sounding phones. I was going to get those(portapros) when i first started getting into headphones, but i went with the Grado's instead. I just liked the vintage look of the Grado's, and now i couldn't be happier i made that choice.

Anyways, anyone that wants to get into this and don't want to spend a lot their first time, try Tson's rec(or the portapros), or the creative aurvana 3 that i just got(again, fucking balanced armature butter for the price) or the Grado S60i's(if you want a pair of cans). Both are in the $60 price ranges(koss's are cheaper in price than that) and will blow away any stock buds that you're using.

andrew118
01-20-2014, 07:04 AM
I have found this link to be very helpful when comparing headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13

IdolEyes787
01-20-2014, 11:43 PM
Idol has been missed.

I don't know whether to be happy for the compliment or sad that you're obviously back to doing the hard drugs.

Anyway I went out and bought two pair of those $5000 Stax headphones so I can wear both pair simultaneously and mimic quadraphonic sound because I'm big into The Who.

piercerseth
04-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Hey Gents (& ladies) got a pair of SR60is I love to death, but the right side cable has worn where I have intermittent loss on that side. I'm kinda out of my element in these matters: 60is + a cheap cmoy amp. Just looking for a reliable recabling service I think? Thought about grabbing the Turbulent drivers and wood cups. Worst case I've been eyeballing the Alessandro MS2s? Help?! I like my lowend bass.

megabyteme
04-20-2014, 07:52 AM
Just a thought: If your cabling has worn/been damaged through use, might it be worth finding a similar, upgraded set that includes the removable/replaceable cables. You could use this as a chance to step up, but keep the style and sound elements you enjoy while saving yourself future similar repair issues.

BTW, stop dragging your right ear on your shoulder as you walk.

Skiz
04-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Hey Gents (& ladies) got a pair of SR60is I love to death, but the right side cable has worn where I have intermittent loss on that side. I'm kinda out of my element in these matters: 60is + a cheap cmoy amp. Just looking for a reliable recabling service I think? Thought about grabbing the Turbulent drivers and wood cups. Worst case I've been eyeballing the Alessandro MS2s? Help?! I like my lowend bass.

I have the SR60i's as well! :o

piercerseth
04-20-2014, 05:39 PM
BTW, stop dragging your right ear on your shoulder as you walk.
:lol: my gf said it was from wearing them like a pretend dj. I was pretty pissed, bought a couple records earlier in the day too.

I have the SR60i's as well! :ohmy:
Where the two cables meet at the "Y" the vinyl has worn through. So now I gotta wiggle them and then hold still like a jackass.

DeadPoet
04-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Had the same issue with my pair of SR60i's. Luckily my mate is electronics freak so he replaced the cord and they are as good as new. I do love them, but I wish they would be a little bit more comfy. Anyone can suggest a pair of pads I could buy and replace the stock ones, as they are really worn out after all these years?

piercerseth
04-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Anyone can suggest a pair of pads I could buy and replace the stock ones, as they are really worn out after all these years?
I use the Grado L-cush pads. They feel quite a bit better, and do change the sound up a bit. Only downside is the foam they use is shit, and would seem to disintegrate around the 4 year mark.

http://www.earzonk.com/ear-zonk-l-cushions/ has em a couple bucks cheaper over the official ones.

DeadPoet
04-21-2014, 08:42 PM
4 years seems allright for the price. Thank you.

megabyteme
04-22-2014, 06:01 PM
You might want to take a look at this, ps: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Headphone-Cable-Removable/ and http://lifehacker.com/repair-a-broken-headphone-plug-1125238344

piercerseth
04-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks meg, I may make an attempt this weekend or next. I can't solder to save my life, so expect Michael J Fox-like shenanigans. I'll post pix from the burn ward.

megabyteme
04-23-2014, 12:07 AM
There should be a small, mom&pop-type electronics repair shop in your area. Make a few calls and see if someone is willing to help you make a couple solders. Any place that insists on a "minimum" or schematics for this won't be the place for you to get it done.

I usually put on my friendliest (yes, I've got one) personality and explain my small predicament. If the person seems friendly, but can't do it, ask if there is someone around there interested in a moderately priced 6-pack. Stay away from anything corporate- they'd most likely fire the person for misappropriation of company property AND having alcohol on the premises. :sick:

dragus
06-21-2014, 08:54 PM
why is there not many bluetooth hifi headphones does bluetooth have trouble sending good enough signal or what ? i was just curious why i don't see many to buy on the market.

megabyteme
06-22-2014, 06:35 PM
There are quite a few bluetooth options, but they are all susceptible to interference loss of signal, etc. Not often, but it does happen. Purists will be a long ways off before they believe in anything but pure gold/copper/adamantium spun from a virgin queen bee's rectum will sound good.

I enjoyed some BT Kinivos (which are popular on Amazon) until they started to regularly fail me. For $20, I'll get another sometime soon. Perhaps wait for another generation of BT tech to advance. Not bad unless you are a golden ear.