View Full Version : encryption thread

tripnip
12-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Before this site went down with no backups there was a longish thread about posts using obfuscated/encrypted filenames and rars. Some guy was saying he'd discovered something and was sending info via pm. Anyone have that info? I wasn't using usenet at the time but after Black Friday I am now.
Thanks!

ZEROdayO
12-15-2013, 06:41 PM
"Some guy was saying he'd discovered something and was sending info via pm"

Who ?? ^^

Beck38
12-15-2013, 09:52 PM
The obfuscated/encrypted posts can be separated into two general categories:

Those in which the filenames and their rar-passwords are available only on websites (private, invitation-only and/or for-pay, or a smaller sub-set of open sites, either user-id/password required or even smaller set of totally open sites that can be accessed by Goggle (and will appear in a search).

And finally, some obfuscated/encrypted postings which are done with what I call 'open' encryption, that can be identified by a Goggle search and decrypted by 'ordinary' means. Several folks/posters here have been led through that scheme (via private mail on this site), but any down-loader with a bit of a brain can figure it out when they trip across the postings by simply scanning headers in whatever newsgroup.

That method has been in use by me for several years, without any take-downs, despite a few here failing to figure out the system or whining that since I don't post pro-wrestling, p0rn, or low-rent broadcast tv shows, it 'doesn't count'. But a lot of those 'for pay' sites specialize in that, so why duplicate the effort?

Again, I post virtually 24/7 so simply by downloading a days worth of headers one can easily trip across either my postings or those who use the same or slightly modified scheme.

tripnip
12-21-2013, 03:35 PM
"Some guy was saying he'd discovered something and was sending info via pm"

Who ?? ^^

Don't know. The thread was lost.

Beck38, thanks for the info. I'm not interested in pay2play sites but what are some invite only sites? Might be able to swing those.

Can you give me an example post using "open encryption?" I'll see if it's what I think it is.
Thanks!

Beck38
12-21-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm not interested in pay2play sites but what are some invite only sites? Might be able to swing those.

Several are listed here, or folks will start new threads whenever those site 'open up' for invites and such. Simply wait around for awhile, check every day or few days and you'll see.

Can you give me an example post using "open encryption?" I'll see if it's what I think it is.
Thanks!

Just like finding some of the p/w's, google is your friend. If you get the 'hint' from running a search on the file-name, and then d/l and process the rar posting (obviously, try it out first on something small unless you have bandwidth to burn).

tripnip
12-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks Beck38, manganged to get invites to a couple of "dark" sites but they're still newznab. So I'll have to keep trying for something "darker." Really just want someplace that does rapid upload of ufc events!

Beck38
12-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I commented in another thread, that I thought that the worst thing about all (most?) of the indexing sites out there is the lack of retention (if there was any, since a lot are fairly new). Most all the major providers go back to late 2008, so why don't the indexes?

There are a couple of providers (and newsreaders linked to them) that provide some sort of searching capability. For the really 'deep' searches, that 's the way to go. I find myself digging for some old(er) SD/DVD release that even Netflix either doesn't have anymore, or is on 'extreme wait'. But I know that it must have been posted years ago, and it's still 'in the cloud', but there is no reference to it much of anywhere.

s6h9i
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
I commented in another thread, that I thought that the worst thing about all (most?) of the indexing sites out there is the lack of retention (if there was any, since a lot are fairly new). Most all the major providers go back to late 2008, so why don't the indexes?

There are a couple of providers (and newsreaders linked to them) that provide some sort of searching capability. For the really 'deep' searches, that 's the way to go. I find myself digging for some old(er) SD/DVD release that even Netflix either doesn't have anymore, or is on 'extreme wait'. But I know that it must have been posted years ago, and it's still 'in the cloud', but there is no reference to it much of anywhere.

Site operators probably realized that even with a robust block acct, those older files will often throw incomplete/CRC errors that make storing said files more overhead then needed. Then again, XML data hardly takes up any space so I see what you're saying.

Really ancient SD/DVD exists mostly in P2P land (mostly Russian) and some private sites.

Beck38
01-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Site operators probably realized that even with a robust block acct, those older files will often throw incomplete/CRC errors that make storing said files more overhead then needed. Then again, XML data hardly takes up any space so I see what you're saying.

Really ancient SD/DVD exists mostly in P2P land (mostly Russian) and some private sites.

Actually, I have a ***load of nzb's going back through 2008, including everything I've ever posted. I run 'checks' occasionally back through them (using NZBcc) on 2-3 major servers (including Astraweb and Giganews), and find that when those plants are running 'hot and normal', the 'skips' or 'fades' are extremely minimal, at worst maybe 2-3%, which if the poster did their 'due diligence' and posted at least 10 if not 20% par2's, then it's easily recoverable.

In doing these checks, I've found major problems with those plants upon occasion, and after letting them know of my findings, they've done corrective action (the latest was with Astraweb a couple months back). Cleaned up quite nicely.

So, the indexers need to think about improving their systems, bottom line.

djarrell
01-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Several are listed here, or folks will start new threads whenever those site 'open up' for invites and such. Simply wait around for awhile, check every day or few days and you'll see.

Thanks!

Just like finding some of the p/w's, google is your friend. If you get the 'hint' from running a search on the file-name, and then d/l and process the rar posting (obviously, try it out first on something small unless you have bandwidth to burn).

I need more of a "hand holding". I haven't figured out the hints or where I should be looking? Please advise

TheAce
01-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Before this site went down with no backups there was a longish thread about posts using obfuscated/encrypted filenames and rars. Some guy was saying he'd discovered something and was sending info via pm. Anyone have that info? I wasn't using usenet at the time but after Black Friday I am now.
Thanks!When Downloading a obfuscated Download Turn off your Auto Repair & Unpack in your Download Client.
When Download Complete use quickpar With the Auto Repair Ticked it will rename the Files & Extentions Then just Unpack as Normal With WinRAR.

Or you can Use the Use the Simple Unpacker it will do it all for you .

Check it out here & Download from the Link == http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/454159-Simple-Unpacker-For-Downloaders-To-Use

Beck38
01-18-2014, 03:48 PM
When Downloading a obfuscated Download Turn off your Auto Repair & Unpack in your Download Client.
When Download Complete use quickpar With the Auto Repair Ticked it will rename the Files & Extentions Then just Unpack as Normal With WinRAR.

And other things will become apparent as well. I've been telling folks for a long time that these 'automated' routines don't help much in today's usenet (kinda like pilots who rely too heavily on automation and don't keep an eye on things) and that doing things manually is a lot of the times the 'key' to retrieval.