PDA

View Full Version : Fuck. I gotta write two essays before Tuesday

OlegL
12-15-2013, 05:19 PM
For one of my classes, I need to write two essays. I just don't know what to write. Can someone help me please? I don't wanna plagiarize someone else's ideas, but my head feels so empty...
This is what I wrote so far:
The Utopian ideas in the modern times

“Looking Backward” is obsessed about the idea of the world that is perfect and Utopian.
Bellamy talks about the perfect world in which women, men, and children are equal.

How can I continue this essay?

Vestibule
12-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Read this.... it may help you focus your theme...

http://twp.duke.edu/uploads/assets/Slater.pdf

dion09529
12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
ffs, just print this entire page and you'll get an A+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_Backward

mjmacky
12-15-2013, 08:54 PM
For one of my classes, I need to write two essays. I just don't know what to write. Can someone help me please? I don't wanna plagiarize someone else's ideas, but my head feels so empty...
This is what I wrote so far:

“Looking Backward” is obsessed about the idea of the world that is perfect and Utopian.
Bellamy talks about the perfect world in which women, men, and children are equal.

How can I continue this essay?

Stick with what you know.

Topic: "The difficulties modern men face in losing their virginity."
Topic: "Do college campuses employ too many security guards?"

TheFoX
12-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Nice one EmmJay.

OlegL
12-17-2013, 05:59 AM
How can I continue writing this crap? Look:

The feelings of depression about our current world order and longing for the New World Order
“Looking Backward” by Bellamy, “A Short History of America” by Crumb, and “The Second Coming” by Yeats imply that the authors of these things feel depressed about what's going on in our world. They long for the New World Order.

“Looking Backward” is obsessed about the idea that when the New World Order comes, only Utopian societies will exist.
Bellamy's protagonist who still lives during the Old World Order is wealthy, but upset by the fact that workers constantly fight with their employers, trying to improve their living conditions. The protagonist hates the fact that he lives during the times in which there is so much suffering and he probably feels guilt because he's rich. He probably thinks the world will never change and that the world will result in anarchy later on. He has insomnia and depression because he subconsciously want to die. He subconsciously feels he needs to change the world.
When he comes to the future, Dr. Leete tells him that the Old World Order was replaced with the New World Order and there was no violence when this change occurred:: “there was absolutely no violence. The change had been long foreseen. Public opinion had become fully ripe for it, and the whole mass of the people was behind it” (Bellamy).
Yeats uses metaphors when he says certain things. For example, when he says “The falcon cannot hear the falconer” (Yeats), he probably wants to tell us that people, who are symbolically represented by “the falcon”, don't want to be a part of the Old World Order anymore. The Old World Order is symbolically represented by “the falconer”. Even though Bellamy has a dream that the whole mass of people doesn't have any disagreements on how society should make a transition to the New World Order and is not confused about the kind of change that should come, Yeats says that “the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity” (Yeats). Yeats probably thinks that people can't agree with each other because their beliefs divide them, but in Bellamy's mind, there is no such division between people because the common enemies which are hunger, cold, and nakedness unite them: “ “And, in heaven's name, who are public enemies?” exclaimed Dr. Leete. “Are they France, England, Germany, or hunger, cold, and nakedness?” “ (Bellamy).
Unlike Bellamy, who dreams that the Old World Order makes a non-violent transition to the New World Order, Yeats probably thinks such a transition will happen through violence: “The blood-dimmed tide is loosed” (Yeats). Yeats also probably thinks that before the New World Order comes into existence, there will be anarchy in the world: “things fall apart; the center cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world” (Yeats). In Bellamy's dreams, there will never be anarchy before the New World Order comes.
Bellamy has more faith in people than Yeats does. Bellamy believes that a secular force consisting of people only will make the transition to the New World Order possible, but Yeats believes that people need the help of a higher power before such a transition occurs, and in Yeats' mind, that higher power is Jesus Christ who will return to us: “Surely the Second Coming is at hand” (Yeats).
In Bellamy's dreams, the completely Utopian future is the only outcome the New World Order can produce, but Yeats feels there might be a fight between Jesus Christ and someone that has a “lion body and the head of man” (Yeats). Yeats feels this beast with a lion body may overcome Jesus in the fight and if he does, there will be no bright future for people when the New World Order comes.

OlegL
12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
I have a question on grammar usage. I wrote "fight with their employers" in the essay, but maybe "with" is unnecessary here. Should have I said, "fight their employers"?

megabyteme
12-17-2013, 05:00 PM
I have a question on grammar usage. I wrote "fight with their employers" in the essay, but maybe "with" is unnecessary here. Should have I said, "fight their employers"?

That's a fair question. Webster's dictionary uses the example for fighting (as against) and includes the word. See the first example:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/with

chalice
12-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Given what I know about Yeats, which is extensive, and about The Second Coming in particular, which is like catechism to Irish poetry scholars in general, you are a fucking spastic.

A really, really hopelessly ingrained remedial, mentally deficient excuse for a human. If I was your tutor I'd slap seven shades of stupidity out of you with the nearest sappling at hand. Kill yourself or plagiarize. The choice is yours.

IdolEyes787
12-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

I just made that up.

Of course some fires are infernos and some are a bunch of damp moss smoldering away into nothingness. Draw your own conclusions here. :mellow:

I just made that "damp moss" bit up too.:)

IdolEyes787
12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Actually I'm just happy for anything that isn't posted in the Word Games section.:mellow:

chalice
12-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Hoi Idol, have you read Morrissey's autobiography yet? It's like the bible only interesting and very well written indeed.

IdolEyes787
12-17-2013, 09:13 PM
No, but I did have OlegL PM me asking what's it about.

Actually,thanks.I hadn't heard of it but after reading a bit about it,I think I shall give it a go.

I like the fact that it's divisive and since the first paragraph is apparently four and a half pages long,obviously we share illiteracy in common.

Either that or he's a genius and I'm an idiot which I find hard to accept so I will just ignore that staring me in the face possibility.

OlegL
12-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Given what I know about Yeats, which is extensive, and about The Second Coming in particular, which is like catechism to Irish poetry scholars in general, you are a fucking spastic.

A really, really hopelessly ingrained remedial, mentally deficient excuse for a human. If I was your tutor I'd slap seven shades of stupidity out of you with the nearest sappling at hand. Kill yourself or plagiarize. The choice is yours.

I had never heard about Yeats before I took this class.

chalice
12-17-2013, 09:31 PM

I had never heard about Yeats before I took this class.

Yeah, it shows.

chalice
12-17-2013, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68V77LzcOQ

TheFoX
12-17-2013, 10:48 PM
To learn about any subject, you need to be enthusiastic about learning it. With enthusiasm comes understanding. If, on the other hand, you see learning as a chore, then you will find it much harder to learn the subject.

Adults often find it easier to learn a new subject than children if it is something they desire to learn. I found English harder at school than I did at college, because when I did it at college, I desired to learn.

If you don't have a desire to learn, then you may as well walk away. You need that spark which will ignite the furnace of learning.

Another example of learning is when you study a foreign language. If you desire to learn that foreign language, you will pick it up more easily than if you consider it a chore.

It is not whether we are able to learn, but whether we WANT to learn. The brain will attach a more positive attachment to information we desire than information given matter of fact.

If you make learning fun, or rewarding, you'll retain more than if learning is dull, or routine.

So, to understand your project, you need to get excited over the subject matter. If you fail to ignite your desire to learn, you may as well give up now.

It is amazing how many people study because they think they must, rather than those who study because they WANT to. Those who have an interest in a subject get much better results than those don't. Even boring subjects can be made interesting simply by changing your viewpoint of the subject matter.

At the end of the day, success or failure is down to the individual and how they perceive the subject matter.

OlegL
12-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Okay, I think I'll be able to enjoy writing the last essay.

IdolEyes787
12-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Wall o' test.

See that's why Yeats is a celebrated poet and why people generally cross the street when they see you approaching.

Though the internet used to be called " the information superhighway", I unfortunately seem to be missing that option.:(

Skiz
12-18-2013, 08:32 AM
For one of my classes, I need to write two essays. I just don't know what to write.

You get to write 2 essays over anything and that's what you choose to write about? :wacko:

OlegL
12-18-2013, 05:43 PM
No, the third essay could be written about anything as long as it mentioned examples from the writings we studied since the midterm. I already submitted it. But now I am writing the essay whose topic is "what is the emergence of the modern?" It's a take home final exam that I am supposed to submit today before 7 PM EST. It's almost 1 pm now, but I only wrote 156 words in that essay. He wants us to write at least 750 words for this particular essay.

megabyteme
12-18-2013, 06:42 PM
You need that spark which will ignite the furnace of learning.

Sometimes it's just a gas leak. :idunno:

megabyteme
12-18-2013, 06:50 PM
No, the third essay could be written about anything as long as it mentioned examples from the writings we studied since the midterm. I already submitted it. But now I am writing the essay whose topic is "what is the emergence of the modern?" It's a take home final exam that I am supposed to submit today before 7 PM EST. It's almost 1 pm now, but I only wrote 156 words in that essay. He wants us to write at least 750 words for this particular essay.

You may just explore writing freely about ANYTHING that comes to mind (do not wory about spelling, punctuation, order, or structure) for 15 minutes. The only rule is that you do not stop typing/writing for that entire time. Set a timer and make yourself write whatever comes to mind. Take a few minutes before reviewing, then examine what you have. Some parts will need to be discarded, others can be used.

Consider it a brain dump. When you get stuck, sometimes you have to break out of the rut. Since you have 3 papers, you may end up with thoughts on each- just remember to not plagiarize yourself and use the same writing on more than one assignment.

Write. Write. Write. Right? Right!

mjmacky
12-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

I just made that up.

Of course some fires are infernos and some are a bunch of damp moss smoldering away into nothingness. Draw your own conclusions here. :mellow:

I just made that "damp moss" bit up too.:)

Education is either yanking semen from a cock, drawing sap from a tree, or pulling teeth from a tadpole. The subject must be willing and capable.

You were trying to describe intellect.

OlegL
12-18-2013, 11:34 PM
I submitted the essay, so the semester is over. Let's hope the instructor will give me a better grade than a D for this class.

megabyteme
12-19-2013, 09:49 AM
I submitted the essay, so the semester is over. Let's hope the instructor will give me a better grade than a D for this class.

Hopefully, you didn't turn in the brain dump I suggested. That's just for early-stage writing, not finalized stuff. :pinch:

Artemis
12-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Hopefully, you didn't turn in the brain dump I suggested. That's just for early-stage writing, not finalized stuff. :pinch:

In Oleg's case it is less of a brain dump and more a case of evacuating his bowels on paper.....

Mr. Mulder
12-20-2013, 12:38 PM

"Si, Si, we all wrote essays"

TheFoX
12-21-2013, 03:10 PM
By the way (btw), you failed to mention which Tuesday these two essays had to be in by. I assume that school will close for Christmas, and that the first Tuesday of January is still a international holiday, leaving the second, third and fourth Tuesdays of January, plus those that will appear during the period of February to December 2014, and those of 2015, 2016 and 2017, by which time you should know whether you have passed or failed. Mind you, they may ask you to re-submit your essays, in which case you will probably get an extension that covers 2018 and 2019 (and maybe even 2020, by which time your eyesight should be more or less perfect).

OlegL
12-21-2013, 04:39 PM
I submitted the third essay on December 17, which was Tuesday.

OlegL
01-10-2014, 11:10 PM

:) I love your sense of humor, Chalice.
The instructor gave me a C+ for the course. I am actually pretty satisfied with this grade 'cause I ain't that good at writing essays.

Gripper
01-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Given what I know about Yates which is extensive,I must say that their cheap beer and sambuca are excellent,and their food is more than adequate,whate this has to do with essays is anyone's guess,I think.

mjmacky
01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
'cause I ain't that good at writing essays.

You have to be careful to resist the urge to slip up, poser.

skay8
01-21-2014, 06:16 AM
google is your friend.

TheFoX
01-21-2014, 06:22 PM
google is your friend.

Google ain't my friend.