PDA

View Full Version : can copyright holders figure out who uploaded a torrent?

john20
12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
How do copyright holders go about proving that a particular individual uploaded a torrent containing their copyrighted material?

I know they can subpoena and ISP but what info can they get from them? I know ISP's keep ip-address logs but do those logs include which sites a person visited while browsing the web? Do the ISP logs include which computer a person was using?

Thanks a lot for any info you can provide.

armitage
12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
It's hard to know, since the customer doesn't really know what kind of data is logged at the ISP... you must also have in consideration that is "impossible" logging everything, since an ISP has a lot of traffic, so they must filter the "interesting" entries. What does it mean? It means that they can't log an encoded transaction (in fact they can but the entry won't have any useful data).

About if the logs can include the computer that was used, I guess they can since the network packet has the MAC address.

If you are concerned about being "detected" by ISP, you can enable the encryption on your torrent client. If you do that, you must remember that you can only make transactions with other clients that also have the encryption enabled (I'm not really sure about that, but it makes sense.... maybe someone will tell us if i'm wrong :)).

I hope it helps. I'm spanish and my english sucks so if you can't understand something just tell me and i'll try to explain it better.

mjmacky
12-20-2013, 01:44 AM
How do copyright holders go about proving that a particular individual uploaded a torrent containing their copyrighted material?

I know they can subpoena and ISP but what info can they get from them? I know ISP's keep ip-address logs but do those logs include which sites a person visited while browsing the web? Do the ISP logs include which computer a person was using?

Yeah, easily, just take credit for the upload. The original uploader will come out screaming about how his work was ripped off.

IdolEyes787
12-20-2013, 01:26 PM

If it's done by profiling like on that show Criminal Minds,I assume they begin by narrowing the potential unsubs down to friendless,overweight teenager males and then proceed from there.